Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Instagram and to wear or not to wear make up.


Last week, I received a comment where a girl named Malin asked if I use the app Instagram. Well, I didn't, but now I do! I downloaded it on Saturday, and these are the photos I posted so far. Kitties, food, friends, my car getting snow suited up in winter tires, birthday, my mom and I in the waiting room at the hospital yesterday, before my surgery. More kitties. If you use Instagram and want to follow me, I'm called accordingtoannika.

Other comments, on this post, brought up the questions of "real" photos on this blog. Someone asked why I don't post photos without make up on, and I must say, I was surprised. My first thought was "but I never wear make up!". Then I realized that, hmm, in the outfit photos I do. And if that makes it seem like I'm in any way self-conscious about the way I look without it, then that's terrible. I like make up, as a part of dressing up, of putting together a "look" - but I don't care about it. When I take the outfit photos, I usually put make up on, do the shoot, then wash my face. I wear make up to parties or fancier restaurant dinners, because to me, that's part of the fun of dressing up and going out. In the photos above, I'm not wearing any make up, because there was no point putting any on.

I really don't believe that any one of us need to cover up our faces in order to be beautiful, but I also don't think there's any harm in applying simple, pain-free products to experiment with our looks. I'm aware that this is considered hypocritical by some people. In high school, I was told by a group of girls in my class that I wasn't allowed to call myself a feminist since I sometimes wore make up to school. And while I personally find that a big load of crap, I can still see their point. Trust me, I am not oblivious to the fact that women are much more severely judged and defined by their looks than men; I do see a huge problem with the way lots of people - men and women, girls and boys - feel like they can't live up to the ideals of beauty that is set by our society. And I completely understand the girls and women who object to these norms by rejecting the fashion and beauty industries entirely. That's just not the way I've chose to live my life.

Writing columns for a fashion magazine for three years, while not being a fan of women's magazines myself, I've had hundreds - thousands? - of people (mostly women) asking me how I can contribute to such a publication and still sleep at night. And well, I don't always sleep at night, but I can assure you that my sleep deprivation has nothing to do with where my columns are being published. To me, it's very simple:
1) I do not think that the problem is that magazines for girls and women exist. What I don't agree with is (some of - sometimes a lot of) their content. And I absolutely cannot see anything wrong with contributing to these magazines with the kind of content I wish they would publish more of, since I am then doing what's in my power to make a change.
2) My target audience, my readers, are without any argument girls and women. The subjects I write about are intended for them - especially for the kind of girls and women who read fashion and women's magazines. I write about being a young woman struggling with many of the same issues my readers do. Then why on Earth wouldn't I write for a publication that these women read?

Back to make up. I don't believe that girls and women who like wearing make up or pretty clothes should stop doing it. I don't think that there's anything wrong with wanting to look beautiful. As long as it's just as okay not to. As long as we don't feel like we have to. As long as we realize that there's more. As long as we all know that what we look like on the outside is part of who we are, but it's a pretty darn small part. Fashion is fun, but the moment it becomes harmful, we should take a moment and ask ourselves why. Why am I putting on lipstick or heels, why do I want yet another pair of shoes, why do I want the people around me to think I look good? Is it because I think it's a pleasurable way of expressing myself, or is it because I feel like shit without it? Am I a fashion user or a fashion abuser?

There have been times when I've washed my face at night and not wanted to look at myself in the mirror. When I've longed for the morning when I get to put my cosmetic face back on. Whenever this has happened, I've stopped wearing make up completely for a few weeks. Because it's not okay. I don't want to feel like my made up self is the "real" me, and that my natural face is something that needs to be hidden. I won't let that happen. That makes my outside a too important part of the way I feel about myself, and I need to remember that I am not my looks. I am a daughter, a sister, a friend and a girlfriend, a writer, a person who loves cats and babies and books, who gets addicted to tv series and loves to watch the same movies over and over because I like to know how they end, who enjoy photography and sketching and playing the piano, who cares about people way too much but have a hard time trusting, who likes to wear clothes and shoes that I find pretty or interesting, who cries at least ten times a day and hates that I don't have a good singing voice, who has nightmares every night and doesn't like the taste of alcohol. And so on. And so on.

I am not my looks. Neither are you. As long as we all remember this, I'm pretty sure it's okay to wear lipstick now and then.

37 comments:

  1. Another great post! I used to hate wearing make-up and mostly everyone who does. I just thought that those who wear make-up are "fake". Wearing make-up made me feel like putting a mask on and a bit trying hard to be someone else I am not. But now I realized that it's fine to wear make-up (or just about anything you want) for as long as it helps you feel good about yourself. Though it's hard to admit, it's always easier to judge a person by her physical appearance. But at the end of the day it's not the most important thing for personality is what really defines a person. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You express all these thoughts and looks on perception of an image really well. I adore your writing style and your point of view (on a lot of things, not just this topic). You expresses how a lot of young women think nowadays. Thank you as always, for this blog, your writing and generally just being the awesome amazing person you are.

    Kitty love >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear gel liner everyday, because I'm Asian and the liner gives me confidence. I've also begun wearing makeup (foundation, concealer, brow pencil) a lot more because I've found it makes me look more 'together' which is the kind of impression I want to give (I get bullied; they're less likely to taunt me if they don't know it's affecting me).

    I don't think anybody can judge girls/women for wearing makeup. It's a personal preference. there are a lot of girls I know who won't let anybody see them without makeup; I'm not that girl. I'll never be that girl. but I believe in choice, and I believe that everybody, including Annika, should be able to make theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you know, I also wish (so much!) that I had an amazing singing voice and I don't like the taste of alcohol at all. I just wish you didn't cry so much.. unless they're mostly tears of happiness:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO SO ADORBS!! love ya :)

    xx

    natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really good Anika. Really good. I'm going to save this post to read later again. You stole the words from my mouth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "As long as we all know that what we look like on the outside is part of who we are, but it's a pretty darn small part."

    You're so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think many people have lost sight of what most makeup (sans theatrical/drama/costume makeup)it intended for. I never thought makeup to be used for giving one a whole new face, but instead enhancing the face a person naturally has. To cover up blemishes (seriously, who wants to walk around with a nice glaring zit to greet everyone who looks upon it?)and even out skintone (which changes all the time with hormones or skin disorders).

    My general rule of thumb is that I don't wear makeup unless I'm going to be on camera. It means there's less pressure, less gunk to clog up your skin, and I can't tell you how many guys have told me how much they appreciate that I don't wear makeup. (Not that they mind girls getting dolled up every once in a while, but they get that same "mask" mentality too.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I think it's a little funny that some people pointed out that you're always made up... it's a blog. You make up really completes the look and is definitely one of the reasons why I initially clicked on your blog from Chictopia. Your blog provides me (and I'm sure others) with a somewhat whimsical escape from my own life, and it's definitely something that I appreciate.

    However, that being said, of course you don't NEED to wear makeup, and it's not like your blog would be any less great if you weren't made up in your outfit posts.

    I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I just find it a little comical that someone brought up how "real" your photos are. It's YOUR blog. It's YOUR content. If there's one thing that I've learned about blogging it's that you should stay true to yourself, and your vision. Therefore, who has any right to moderate what you are posting?

    xx
    S

    http://aussi-belle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two things:

    (1) Next time I visit Stockholm I will pass your house in the vague hope of catching a glimpse of you in order to verify that you actually exist, because sometimes it is hard to believe that one single person can possibly embody that much wisdom and wit.

    (2) You should have a look at http://brigitte.de, Germany's biggest women's magazine. Two years ago, they implemented their new policy to never again use professional models for their photos. Not that there is anything wrong with models, but they believe - and I agree! - that the sheer variety of women out there is overwhelming and among them are so many fascinating creatures who captivate with their beauty and spirit that it would be a shame not to show them. And furthermore they want to contribute to a mind-shift in those female readers who struggle to live up to this role-model of allegedly perfect looks.

    And know what? During these two years I have seen more spectacular, breathtaking, inspiring beauty than in any other magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bra talat Annika! Jag blir alltid lika varm av att komma in här och läsa dina välformulerade tankar. Du är en av de bloggarna jag känner att man verkligen får komma lite nära och lära känna djupare. Tack för det!

    För övrigt tycker jag du har visat massor av bilder utan smink. Men jag har ju hängt med ett tag, så det kanske är därför. Hur som så var det kul att du skaffade instagram! Jag hittade dig ganska snabbt. Själv startade jag upp i måndags, och har verkligen börjat förstå tjusningen med det.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect ending for this post! And I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, one thing I'm very awkward about receiving (besides gifts in general) is compliments. It's difficult to take credit for something I'm not really responsible for. I never take credit for my face because I didn't really ask for it or earn it in any way. But, the alternations, I'll take credit for! For example makeup, style etc. That can be attributed to the person's mind and awareness. I think it's much more telling to have an interesting, dynamic mind than to have a pretty face...because your parents were pretty :P Of course, it's fine to have both. The latter isn't really a choice.


    Yasmeen
    Castle Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this post! When I was reading it I remembered my cousin who ALWAYS wears make up! Every morning she gets up and says: "Oh my, how awful I really look!" And that,s not because she isn,t pretty, she definitely is!
    Then she puts toooons of foundation and powder on her face, though her skin looks pretty well. Then mascara, then lip gloss, then silver or blue eye shadow. Only after that she is absolutely sure she looks nice. The thing is that it all looks extremely unnatural. She is just a young girl and she doesn,t need all that make up to be pretty.
    I,m not against make up, it,s up to the person to decide, but it scares me when I see that my 16 year old cousin looks like she is 30.
    As for me, I usually use only mascara but after months of reading your blog I began to use that gorgeous red lipstick :)You see, you are so inspiring!
    Thank you for this wonderful post!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love point number 1 on why you are able to sleep at night after contributing to the "evillll" fashion magazines. a great argument, and something i've never considered.

    2. i can vouch that you are sooo beautiful without makeup and don't always paint it on like you do in your gorgeous fashion photos. when you visited seattle you were all natural, fresh-faced, and lovely. i was surprised and delighted to see how comfortable you were in your own skin, since the common idea of models and actresses' is that they are always camera-ready and done up like a doll.
    you're such a natural beauty :-)

    <3 leah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally nodding as I read the whole post. I'm a feminist too, which most people would associate with bra-burning, unshaven angry extremists. I personally believe true feminism CELEBRATES femininity, not LOOK DOWN on it.

    The feminists in your high school remind me of many "feminists" in my personal circles. They advocate not shaving legs, wearing pants instead of dresses/skirts, not wearing makeup, not wear bras...etc. Who does that sound like? A GUY!!! It's almost as if they're advocating that in order to be treated equally, a female must cast away her femininity and act exactly like a guy! I hate that...I also hate the fact that fashion is seen as shallow/stupid because it's something that "girls do."

    ...I'm someone that is about to finish my final semester of Chemical Engineering and Biochemistry dual degree in college, did a lot of relevant research in biotechnology on developing anti-cancer drugs, AND I dress up and have a fashion blog. I hate the fact that when I'm at the grocery store, people see my heels and makeup and assume that it's all I know. I feel like part the of reason that association/stereotype still occurs is because the current state of feminism doesn't help erase it...

    Anyway, I'm done rambling! You look beautiful with or without makeup, in fact other than the red lipstick you look exactly the same (super gorgeous)...so I'm totally jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. youre an inspiration.
    i feel exactly the same way on this subject! but being surrounded by makeup daily as a high school student, i just dont feel as comfortable when i dont wear it. someday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way you write, I think you are so expressive.
    I totally agree with your post, as far as we don't deceive ourselfs it's perfect to wear whatever we want. Liberty of behavior :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i wish you could see my shaking my head up & down saying yes, as i read this post, in it's entirety! it's gonna sound trite if i say i feel the same way, but it's true, i do. i really want to know what kind of yummy delicious birthday cake, & pizza you devoured. why? because pizza is my favorite food. & to me, birthday cake is the best part of birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! I put on my makeup every day (even if I don't go out), because I do not feel like myself if I don't. I know this is sad, but it's the truth. I don't use much makeup though (I've cut it down to the basics) but still, I would love to have the confidence to not wear any makeup at all. You're such an inspiration as you do look very lovely without makeup as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing post, as always! <3 looove your point of view, you're sooo right :D

    oh, late b'day!!! :D

    and I'm glad your surgery went fine! :D

    loooots of love!

    nádia

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look gorgeous with or without makeup!! and all your instagram images are cool... well the filter helps to make them all look "uniform" or matched in some way... !! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so true. judging someone for wearing makeup is just as bad as judging someone for /not/ wearing makeup.

    I can not even tell you how much I love your blog. Everything you write is so inspiring, And your sense of style is so cool!

    quinnsque.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sluta aldrig att skriva Annika, dina ord är för kloka för det, vi behöver dem.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely fotos, it is all so very sweet :)
    www.leilaswonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Skulle vara roligt om du kunde lägga upp dina outfits lite oftare :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glistening Dewdrops Shining In The Morning Sun. I Drink Your Beauty. X

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was SUCH an inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lisa, jag är sjukskriven och tar mig sällan upp ur soffan, så jag har ingen möjlighet att fota outfits särskilt ofta. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Åh gud. Du är underbar, kvinna!
    Trots att det kan tyckas som självklara grejer, är det så oerhört välbehövligt att läsa det du skriver.
    Tack! Tack för att du påminner mig.

    Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Detta inlägg gillas skarpt! Första gången jag kommenterar även om jag följt med ett tag. Jag gillar dig och din blogg! Och älskar att det finns så många kloka och inspirerande unga kvinnor i bloggosfären (och i livet). Tack!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally agree! You made a very nice point. Loved this post! Keep on inspiring people like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Intessant att du skriver det här inlägget. jag använder nästan aldrig smink heller men upptäcker att om jag nån gång ska vara med på foto i bloggen så vill jag helst vara sminkad. egentligen är ju inte det bra tänker jag, eftersom den riktiga bilden av mig inte kommer fram, hon som inte sminkar sig till vardags. antagligen är det väl också därför som de bilderna blir färre och färre. synd egentligen eftersom jag då spär på bilden av någon annan. (därav säger jag inte att du gör det av samma anledning) men det är ändå kul att höra att det är fler som är bekväma utan smink.

    ReplyDelete
  33. a very interesting read; i linked this from a blog entry: http://naomiii.livejournal.com/258164.html - i hope that's ok.

    ReplyDelete