Friday, July 8, 2011

Whatever you do, stay true to yourself - because you're worth it.

I truly admire people who aren't afraid to experiment and go their own way - in fashion, and in life. They are always the ones who inspire me the most! I don't even have to agree with their choices, I get inspired simply by the fact that they make a statement and are not afraid to take risks.

Like Lauren of Someone Like Me, who writes about her decision not to have sex until she's married in her post "Your Innocence is Brilliant". This is never something I would choose for myself, but I admire her for sharing such an intimate part of herself with her readers - and by doing that, providing strength to other young people who are dealing with these issues.

I'm all for a more liberal view on female sexuality, and when I first read Lauren's post, I thought "but what about all these girls (and boys, but let's focus on the girls) who have sex because they want to? Are they supposed to feel like their not 'pure' enough? And the girls who are put in situations they're not comfortable with, maybe because they suffer from terribly low self-esteem, problems at home, or worse, are getting abused - should they think that God is ashamed of them for not still being virgins when they get married?"

But then I realized two things.
1 - We should all be able to be proud of our beliefs and share them with people without needing to highlight the fact that we're all different and what is right for someone may not be right for someone else. This is Lauren's opinion and she has every right to make a point of it. If everytime we express a thought, we have to write "THIS IS ONE PERSON'S OPINION AND PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED", we're creating a climate where it's hard to ever work up the courage to speak one's mind.
2 - Young women are constantly - from girls' magazines to movies to hit songs to tv shows to their everyday lives - subjected to the possibility of having sex. Why shouldn't they, too, be presented with an option? This is what Lauren is providing. An alternative to that what has become the norm, the standard way of looking at things.

My opinion on the matter is quite simple. If anyone wants to wait with having sex, I think that's great - because we should all be true to ourselves and not put us through things we're not ready for. If, on the other hand, someone else feels like she's ready to have sex and are taking the necessary precautions (like: using a condom!) - that's also great. And, if you're not ready to have sex but are pressured or forced into it, that's absolutely awful. You should talk to someone about it and get help to get out of the situation - but you're not dirty, you're not ruined in any way.

I went through a really bad experience in my early teens and I never talked to anyone about it. Instead, I kept thinking it was my own fault and that it didn't matter what people did to me in the future, because I'd already lost my chance at being a pure, clean, innocent and valuable human being. It definitely didn't help that this was in a period of time when Britney Spears was the hottest new act out there, and maybe some of you are too young to remember this, but her "thing" was that she was going to be a virgin until she was married (to Justin Timberlake, I might add). All the guys in my class (I was 14) thought she was the sexiest and prettiest girl ever, and what was especially awesome was of course the fact that she was untouched. I felt like I had been turned into this piece of trash that noone would ever want - and I hadn't even been in on it, I didn't get a choice.

It took me years and years of not very wise choices (and later, therapy) to understand that this was not true, that God would never take his hand from someone who's a victim of bad circumstances, and that each moment in your life is a chance to start over. You can never make the things that have happened to you undone, you have to live with the consequences of all of your actions, but you can forgive yourself. You can decide that what's happened is in the past, and that from now on, your're going to move forward.

These are my experiences, and all of my friends have their own stories that have shaped who they are today, and their view on sexuality. I know people who lost their virginities while drunk to someone they don't even remember and still regret it, people who lost their virginities while drunk to someone they don't even remember, thought it was perfectly okay and never felt bad about it, people who waited until they got married and then got divorced because they realized they weren't compatible at all, people who waited until they got married and are oh so glad they did. People who were raped a long time ago and who still suffer, others who were raped, got through it and are completely fine today.

Everyone is different, and the only thing we can be sure of is this: the most precious gift we can give ourselves is to respect ourselves as well as eachother, stay true to our beliefs, whatever they might be, and to try our best not to judge. If you made a bad decision yesterday, you can make a better one today. It's never too late to start treating yourself with respect, and it's never too late to forgive yourself for the mistakes you've made. If other people wronged you, you don't ever have to forgive them - but you can stop blaming yourself. Don't let them define you. You're so much better than that.

14 comments:

  1. hey, thnk you so much for writing this post. i like the way you highlight the importance of individuality and i think respecting each other's opinions however different is so important because we are tend to go for the majority view or in cases of teens like me, we succumb to peer pressure. the idea of sexuality is also very touchy and its great that u shared a few thoughts about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much for writing this article. I mean, I'd probably would never have the guts to write something like that and to be honest, I don't really know why. We are drowned in our taboos and stereotypes. Or at least I am. Sexuality is always a controversial subject, but I really don't think that is anybody's job to tell others what they should do with their personal lives and sexualities. It's a personal subject and pressure of any kind should not be accepted. It's exactly the same about the homosexuals. Ok, it's their choise. There have always beem homosexuals and there will always be. Who gave us the power to judge these people huh? Yeah, right, NOONE. Thanks so so much for writing this. Seriously you gave me much food for thought. I'm a teenager too, and I have to admit that I admire you for your opinions and everything. You're awesome! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This! Staying true to your own beliefs while still respecting others'--yes. That's all I have to say. Great post, Annika.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an amazing post to read. It's true, no one should ever be pressured into sex; I was with a guy in high school who wanted to take our relationship to that level, but I was barely fifteen and wasn't ready. I ended up moving quite a ways away, but we talked on the phone every day and got to visit each other once in a while. At that point, he kept trying to convince me to put out for him on our next visit, which actually ended up driving me out of our relationship. He eventually broke up with me, because he would scoff at my explanation that I just wasn't ready to go there yet. He didn't have any respect for me, which easily spoiled my feelings for him. (I actually didn't have my first time until I was eighteen, with someone I'm now engaged to. I'm really glad I held off until I found someone I trusted.)

    And...I just wanted to voice something in response to Demy's comment. Sexual orientation isn't a 'choice' by any means, it's just how a person's wired. People can choose who they find attractive (in looks, personality, et cetera) but they don't pick and choose their sexuality in that sense. Straight people don't choose to be straight, even if a person's sexual orientation happens to change over time, and homosexuals don't choose to be that way either. I figure it was just weird wording in that comment, but many people say it's a 'choice' like it's on the same wavelength as choosing what to wear, and the term is very inaccurate, even when the inention is harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, yes, Kat, I just didn't write in the right way. What I wanted to say is that we shouldn't criticize these people, but you know, foreign language means many mistakes :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this post. Some of my "Holier than Thou" classmates (and friend) criticize me for my religion and the beliefs I have. I think it's just wrong. I hate it when people force their opinions on me (especially if it's about religion or gay rights). People have the right to pick what they believe in and NOT shove it down other people's throats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true. I think that everyone has the right to choose when they have sex, or have their first boyfriend/girlfriend, which god, if any, they pray to... Sometimes it's easy to get so caught up in what you believe, that it's hard to realise that it's not the only belief. Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annika, you are so beautiful in so many ways. thank you ever so much for writing a response post to the one I wrote a few weeks ago: it means more than you can imagine to me because I greatly look up to you on so many different levels.

    When I first posted that post about sexuality and my promise to stay a virgin, I was hesitant about posting it. There are so many people with different views out there and I was a afraid of my view getting bashed. Even though you have a different view than me, you expressed it beautifully with such class and honesty.

    I feel like saving myself until marriage is just the right way for me to go about with sex. It doesn't mean that I think people who have sex before marriage are wrong or sinners or are impure (I'm not one of those crazy religous people who's going to shun those who have sex, haha!) Because let's face it. I'm a teenager and sex is all around me. I'm faced with it everyday at school, in the movies, on television, and in magazines. I think sex is a facinating thing, and I'm enthralled by it. But I think what's best for me is to save myself because I am an incredibly emotional individual and can be hurt so easily. I don't want to regret my frist time, whether it be with the person or the circumstance. I just want it to be beautifully me and the man I'm with.

    Thank you so much again for this lovely piece you wrote. I absolutely loved it. It shows the constasting view of my own in such an honest, real, and perfect way. I'm going to post a link on my blog to this post because I love it so much ,and I think it's important for womean and young girls to see that whatever you chose for yourself: it's okay. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete