Saturday, June 4, 2011

To my greatest love.

 Black sequin 1920's style dress, a gift from my best friend Fanny's mother, Kerstin. Black lace socks, Lindex. Black shoes, Vagabond.





I'm so glad I decided to wear this dress out to dinner tonight - and to be honest, I'm almost as glad that the sun sets so late during the Swedish summer nights! I didn't have time to take photos before we left, and I really wanted to capture this look. I've e-mailed these photos to my best friend's mom and hopefully she'll see how grateful I am for this dress. Or more so, for the fact that she still thinks of me and cares about me. 

I would like to share something with you. I've translated a piece I wrote last summer, as one of my weekly columns in a Swedish magazine. Before you read it, I just want you to know the story behind it.

A Tuesday of January of 2010, Fanny called me. Nothing unusual about this, since we called eachother about ten times a day, whenever we couldn't spend every waking hour together. But this particular time was special. In the worst possible way a phone call could be special. 

I was sitting on my bed in the tiny sublet apartment I was soon going to move away from, the sun was shining, reflecting glitter cascades in the snow outside my window. And she told me that the doctors had found a tumour. That the pain in her right shoulder was not an infection, just like it wasn't calcific tendinitis or anything else they had been stating - or, rather, guessing - during the last month. It was osteosarcoma. It was cancer.

The sun was still shining. I couldn't believe it had the nerve to do so. But it did.

Six months of chemotherapy and radiation later, it was all over. No, not over. Fanny was still alive. But the doctors declared that they had done it all, and the tumour was still growing, faster and more aggressive than ever. There was nothing else to try, no miracle to hope for. We were going to lose her. In every way that mattered, it was over.

Only a handful of people even knew that Fanny was sick. She didn't want people to worry, she didn't want their pity. She didn't want to say goodbye.
All she wanted was to spend the time she still had left with the people she loved, the ones she knew loved her more than anything.

And I was so, so alone in all of this. Every week I had to write a column about my life, my thoughts, my feelings. And I couldn't write one word about the only thing on my mind, the only thing that mattered to me. The one thing that was tearing me apart, ripping my very being into pieces. Every word I wrote felt like a lie, a damn joke.

I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to write something that was true. So I wrote this. It's not a column, it's a letter. A way to say all that was on my mind, without letting anyone know what was really going on. A way to tell the truth while keeping her secret safe.

When I wrote this, in my bed in our beautiful house that I had barely even noticed I was suddenly living in, I didn't know if Fanny would still be with us when it was published. All I was praying for in that moment was that I would get to keep her. That was all I ever prayed for.


There was never a doubt in my mind. Nothing to ponder or think through. 

I'm not ashamed to call it love at first sight. I knew straight away, I was sure: we were meant to be. You were going to become my best friend.

If only I deserved you, if I'd be enough. If only you wanted me.

You did.

These words are all for you.

In a few weeks five years will have passed since we met, that very first time. We've lived a life time since. Just kids back then, that's how it feels. Like I grew up with you. Half an inch away. No, closer.

The luck I've had.

It happened in the blink of an eye. From one moment to another you were mine and I was yours and the air so much easier to breathe. I suddenly had nothing to hide, no need to defend, to pretend, to try and be all those things I'm not. I got to start over - clean, pure, the sorrows of my childhood forgotten, the sins of my teenage years forgiven.

Nothing I didn't dare to tell you - no topic was too small to discuss for hours, no issue too big, too dark, too hard. When no answers were to be found, we looked for them together. When there were no words, we invented our own.

All those years, we had so much time. So much! No limits, no ends. So much time. We talked about forever like it existed, let the minutes turn into hours and the hours into days, months, years. So much time.

And school ended and reality took its place. It could have changed us, let us slip away, grow apart, the way friends do when life takes a new direction. But I never feared. When there would be no time we'd make some. When life would try to pull us apart, we'd hold eachothers' hands, ever so tightly. Never let go.

I was right. Of course I was right.

There were never any doubts that you would become my best friends. I knew straight away, I was sure. But I could never have dreamt of all the things you would come to be.

You've become a part of me. I am who I am because of you. Because you've believed in me, supported me, comforted me, completed me, challenged me, questioned me, healed me, loved me.

You're so much more than my best friend. You're my sister. My greatest love.

Before you came there was noone. Noone will take your place.

So much in this life is evanescent. But not you. Never you.

If only there were words to explain how grateful I am for everything you give me. If only there were sentences strong enough, if only there were.

If only.

But maybe this is all it takes. Maybe it's enough.

Maybe no words are needed. 

You already know.


(She did read it. She fought for so much longer than anyone could ever have expected. In the afternoon of Tuesday the 21st of September, she finally went to sleep. Since that moment, not one second has passed. I'm still stuck. Right there. Holding hands, ever so tightly.)

35 comments:

  1. Annika, you are so strong, and that is beautiful. I can't say I know that pain - but, I can say that what you wrote was beautiful and touching and that it helped me come close to knowing.

    And, I think Fanny knew. I really do. Your friendship, your sisterhood was clearly that strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your strength so, so much. What you described is my greatest fear, losing the ones I love more than anything in the world. Your letter made me cry, it really did. It terrified me, but it was beautiful in that you could express, and Fanny could see, the amazing strength of your love and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Annika! That is the most inspiring writing I have ever read. The strength behind your words gave me goose bumps. I'm so glad she was able to read that.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered you blog and I had to become a follower instantly!

    Your photos and style is like a breath of fresh air.
    If you like vintage clothes, check out my blog
    pompomlace.blogspot.com

    Looking forward to your next post.

    xx E
    PS. I am very jealous of your leopard print litas! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning dear, as always!! i really adore the socks and boots!!
    http://mychoicesaremystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I've been reading you since you began writing this blog, but I've never said a word here, don't know why. But now I can't help it. This is so heart-shattering, I can't express how much affection I want to send right back to you. What grand suffering, your feelings are so pure. You're surely the best friend she could've ever had. Surely.

    Love, love, love to you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annika,
    I just found you on lookbook and am so grateful for that. You are such a brilliant and talented writer. I want to tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your dear beautiful friend. I think your words would have made her so happy. The letter you wrote was so moving and it really touched me. Thanks for sharing it. You now have a new fan. I cannot wait to read more of your work and see more of your beautiful looks.
    x Giovanna from http://dustypetals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Så underbart vackert, Annika!
    You're gorgeous! can't believe i haven't found ur blog 'till now, gonna follow from now on!

    xoxo

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh...so sad. I cried...
    By the way you look stunning.
    And thanks for commenting my post! Now I'm following you :)

    http://lifeisaromanticpoem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. :*

    and thank you for sharing this with us, strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I always so that your posts are so honest and beautiful, but it's true. This letter was very touching and really brought tears to my eyes. It reminds me somewhat of how I felt when my grandmother passed away last year. I loved her so much and I didn't want her to go. She meant so much to me and had always been there ever since I was little. But I think when you are losing someone you love, you realize that that love is stronger than death, and that it's not really the end.

    Thank you for sharing this, Annika. It truly was beautiful.

    xoxo
    Maria Elyse
    First Impressions
    Flying Ships Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your nice comment! I love not only your outfits, but also perfect pictures! I hope you're gonna be more popular soon.

    I'm following now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dress and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful post, not only because of your gorgeous photos, but also because of your writing. I'm so sorry you and your friend had to endure that, and that she passed away much too young. You are so brave to write about it on here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Annika, I'm so sorry :(
    Both the letter and story really moved me, I actually cried a bit. I don't know what it's like to lose a friend, but it must be awful. It must've taken a lot of strength to write that here, on your blog.

    Those pictures are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish this pain will get easier as the time passes. Because I know it will never heal completely. This letter was gorgeous and got me crying... Must be so hard... :( I truly wish you the best!

    p.s. that dress is indeed gorgeous. love the socks too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh. To say that I'm sorry won't be of any help, but I know how it is. I really do and it's not good. It's like you have to fight with time, because no matter what happens, you'll have to sleep and wake up and go to work and eat and do everything you used to do, till the pain smooths a bit. But it never will, because it's the same when your parents die, it's the same when your siblings die. Honestly, this made me cry and I can't say how sorry I am. What? Are emoticons enough to express my feelings? Then here it is: :( :'( :'( But I still think it's not enough. I'm sorry. And only thing I want to do now is to hug you. Sometimes a hug means a lot. Omagosh, I'm sorry I wrote all this, but I couldn't help it.
    -change of mood-
    Well, I think that you look gorgeous, your pictures are stunning. I seriously believe that you'll become a very famous fashion blogger, because you deserve to. And because superficial stuff like that DO matter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, the way you talk about your best friend truly expresses the closeness between you two, the depth of your friendship. That you have experienced something that special and intense, makes you a very lucky person. Certainly, this does not take away the feelings of loss and pain- but at least you felt what pure love entails and what it's really about.
    I'm sure you will meet your friend again, somewhere, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I won't tell. Ok I will. You're AWESOME! truly. It's a French parisian Teen who saying that. You're wonderful. And the dress too. ;)

    XOXO, avec amour
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this was very touching and hard. i lost my father some years ago and it was september too. the 24th. but i really agree with Maria Elyse who wrote to you that when you are losing someone you love, you realize that that love is stronger than death, and that it's not really the end...and the Anonymous friend who said that at least you felt what pure love entails and what it's really about... feelings are hard sometimes, but to me, they are the most beautiful thing we have in life...
    a big hug from greece,
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  21. This compostion was truly beautiful and so touching... truly. You are the most wonderful writer! I know fanny is looking down at your from heaven and thinking "boy, what a beautiful, true, and irreplaceable best friend I have."

    And to top it off, you look just perfect in this sequin dress <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so so so touching. It gave me goosebumps! and your description of such a friendship that you had with Fanny is so relatable. My heart goes out to you and keep hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i LOVE how you paired those socks with those shoes :)

    -April
    http://aprils--attic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. i saw your look on lookbook and it got me to here. I was curious, your looks were so pretty and you're a writer which made me even more curious. And then i read this story about Fanny and you- and it was so touching and heart breaking that I am sitting here on a rainy summer sunday and cry while I am writing. You must be an amazing person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your letter bought a tear to my eye - beautiful writing. Of course you look gorgeous in your photos too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such an intense, moving, eloquent and beautiful tribute to a very dear friend - I can't imagine anyone could read this without weeping for the arbitrary way that life twists and turns and takes away people we love.
    While reading, I was imagining how I would feel if something similar happened to my best friend, and it is heart wrenching. I can't begin to imagine how you feel - but this post has given some insight. Thank you for sharing something so personal.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i hate cancer! it took one of my friends' too, and my grandpa. two other family members have had it, and it's back for one again. i'm glad you had such a beautiful friendship, and that you got a chance to share your words with her, & all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I literally cried while reading the little letter:) I'm totally showing this to my best friends:)
    Oh, honey :) you're great and your english isn't good, it's beautiful. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was truly touching, the way it's written is so intense.. I hope you find your way with this terrible loss. I think you're glad to have known such a special person, which makes it even worse to accept and live/deal with! I wish you so much strength!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are such a beautiful person, I found your blog today and I am both inspired and after reading this, completely moved. Thank you for writing you letter, it helped me to let out some emotions that I have kept bottled up deep down for a long time now. I lost a friend to cancer, but I wasn't brave enough to see her in death, and for that I am so sorry. You are such a brave person, thank you for sharing this Annika.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's amazing how every word you write about your best friend is how I feel about my best friend. She was my soulmate, my person. And now I know that noone will take her place. That I had the honor to have the greatest soulmate a person could have, for 9 years. And I know that probably won't happen again. I've come to terms with that, that you don't win the highest prize twice in your life. But I am so so glad that I had her for a while. She changed me for the better. And it makes me happy that you got to have a friend like that. She will matter for the rest of your life, even if you didn't get to keep her. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete