Saturday, May 21, 2011

Photo editing tutorial - my first try!



First of all: I get a bit embarrassed when I reply to anonymous comments - I have this idea that people are going to think that I wrote the comment myself. You know, just to have a reason to answer that particular question, or, in this case, make a tutorial. So just to be clear, I swear I didn't write this! :) Actually, I don't think it's going to be much of a tutorial - I'm far from a Photoshop wiz. But I'll give it a try!

I take all of my photos myself (unless stated otherwise, but so far I took all the photos on the blog myself), with a tripod and remote control. My camera is a Canon Rebel T2i and I always use a 50mm 1:1.8 lense.

Since I don't know a lot about Photoshop editing, I make sure that the original photo is as good as it can possibly be. I'm a self taught photographer and I don't know much about the technical side of photography, but I would dare to say that after six years of constant trial-and-error practice I'm starting to get the hang of it!

Taking an outfit photo that I'm satisfied with requires a combination of two things. Or, actually four things, but let's say it's two different categories.

1) The composition, pose and expression.
If I don't get these things right in the camera, there's obviously no way I can fix it by editing the photo afterwards. So it all needs to come together nicely. I try to make sure my clothes and hair look as they should, that the framing is how I want it, and that the poses and facial expressions go well with the outfit and the surroudings.

As long as these three requirements are filled, the outfit photo will be... allright. But there's no way it will be great if the second part doesn't work. And the second part is obviously -


2. The lighting.
When it comes to photography, lighting is everything. If the light isn't right, I don't have a good photo, period. I'm sure a photographer who knows what she's doing can make almost any weather work for outdoor photos, well, I sure can't! I need sunlight, more than that: I need that magical, low, just-before-sunset-sunlight. This means I take my photos mostly in the evenings, about an hour before it gets dark. I sometimes have to move the camera (and myself) around for a while, until I find the perfect position for the light.

So, if the composition is good, as well as the pose, the expression and the lighting - then I can start editing. I almost always edit my photos before uploading them, the originals are usually way too plain and grey for my taste! I love the more dramatic look, with a lot of contrast.

OK, now I'm going to try this whole tutorial-thing. Since I improvise when I edit the result won't look exactly like the ones I already edited, but I'll try to make it similar.

Let's start with this photo:


This is what the boring original looks like: 



I told you! Plain! Grey!


I start by making it lighter in Curves.


Then I use Curves again, for the right amount of contrast.


The photo to the left is the tutorial one, the photo to the right is the one I edited yesterday. Because the hard contrast can make unflattering shadows that were almost invisible in the original suddenly show up, I sometimes use the clone stamp tool to get rid of the ones I don't want.

Umm, that was it!

One more photo:


The face might not be great in this one, but I love the colors! Originally the image looked like this:


OK, we need a looooot of contrast here. I know this original looks really bad, but as soon as I saw it on the camera monitor I knew that so many lovely colors would come out when I started editing.


New layer: Brightness/Contrast: 100%!


New layer: More more more! 100%!


New layer: Even mooooore contrast! Wait, stop, that's a little bit too much orange for me.


Didn't know how to capture this, but I used the eraser tool to take away some of the orange, using layers - by setting the eraser tool opacity to 42% I made the lower part of the photo a little less colorful.


Now let's compare my tutorial photo (right) with the photo I edited yesterday (left) - it's pretty much the same, right?

Well, I warned you, that was it! I mostly use either Brightness/Contrast och Curves, and if I have a "secret", it's that I only edit photos I like from the beginning. The composition, pose, expression and lighting all have to come together to create a photo that editing can make look fabulous!

Hopefully I'll be able to make better tutorials in the future, please be patient. :)

If you have more questions about my photography or editing, just ask in the comments and I'll try to answer as soon as I can!





13 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing, gorgeous! really appreciate it :)
    gonna do your tutorials after take some photos, can't wait!

    <3
    la femme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annika, I found you via chictopia! Thanks for the tips- a lot of bloggers like to keep their photography skills to themselves. I love the photos (and obviously the outfits!)

    -Sam
    http://www.samishome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it so! :) its good <3

    http://www.viviononnana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog!! I just discovered it through Make Shift Model's twitter (love her). You sound like me!! Except I like Sphinx cats better than Siberian. ): anyways, I read your little bio, and you should definitely take a picture of your house, or just the door (incase you don't want to be hunted down by a cyber freak, it's my worst fear too) because I think a yellow house in the countryside sounds absolutely stunning!!!
    I am now following you. (:
    http://projectadoration.blogspot.com
    p.s. what kind of lens do you use to get the backgrounds blurry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i wish i could edit like that.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! great editorial!You`ve got an amazing blog,I`m your new follower,hope you might follow me back:)

    www.elekonchicboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dearie! I found you on Chictopia and I adore your blog! I totally agree with you 100% that lighting is EVERYTHING! The worst light is flat light- so gross. Sadly we've had a lot of that lately in Utah. Anyway you are sooooo insanely beautiful and I am SO EXCITED to have found your blog.

    New follower here. <3
    xo

    Kristen

    btw I am a CRAZY cat lady too.

    FlairGenius

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?! You mean your face doesn't naturally glow like sun bouncing off snow?! Ok, anyways, this post/tutorial was supremely helpful! I never know what to do in photoshop besides the boring clone stamp and resizing. I suck at photoshop so my photos are indeed boring and grey! Now, maybe, hopefully, they will make me look like I have way better makeup and skin than I actually do! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to ask whether what remote control you use. Coz' i don't see you holding the remote control on your photos. :) Just wondering. Coz' most remote control are infrared, you have to directly point it to the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you linked this from your most recent post! i always thought that you edited the lens flare and sunlight into your photos but it's au naturale! thanks for the photoshop tutorial : ) *grabs my t2i and 50 mm 1.8 lens and runs off to take photos* of course they won't be as beautiful as yours because i'm nowhere as beautiful as you

    pandaphilia fashion

    ReplyDelete
  11. so beautiful pictures! :)
    And thanks for that helpful tutorial!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gooosh, thanks so much for the tutorial , I've felt in love with your photos <3.

    ReplyDelete