Thursday, June 2, 2011

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

 
White lace dress, Monki. Black leather belt, Gina Tricot. Grey knitted socks, Lindex. Black leather litas, Jeffrey Campbell, Solestruck.com. Lipstick: 846 "Raging Ruby" by Max Factor.

Next week, it's time for our Swedish high school students to graduate. The event is called studenten, and it's tradition for girls to wear white (the guys are ususally wearing black suits). Sure, it might have been nine years since my high school graduation - but that doesn't mean I can't pretend I'm still 18 and have my whole life ahead of me!

When I graduated, I wore an off-white dress I'd thrifted the day before. I can't remember ever seeing it in my wardrobe, so I guess someone must have spilled red wine all over it or something. Oh, and I was barefoot - I bought some two dollar shoes at the same charity shop, but I think my feet hurt and I left them somewhere even before the ceremony started. I've never seen any photos from my graduation - the fancy but affordable DSLR cameras had not yet entered the market. If I'd have graduated today, I would probably have taken about five thousand photos!

The weeks before my graduation were such a disaster. You see, up unitl the end of "högstadiet" (junior high, sort of), I was completely obsessed with my grades. I mean it: completely obsessed. If I missed one single point at a test, I would run off to the school bathroom and cry. I was the biggest geek you've ever seen and, looking back, the pressure I put on myself was absolutely ridiculous. My parents had nothing to do with it, even though of course I wanted to make them proud, but it was me and noone else who expected me to be the best in every single subject.

Naturally, everyone loathed me. It truly was a vicious cycle - I'd been bullied ever since I started school at six years old, and I figured my only value as a person was to get perfect grades. And the more obsessed I got about my studies, the more reason people felt like they had to torture me.

Well, that all changed. The summer between junior high and high school, I decided to undergo a total tranformation. An extreme makeover, if you so wish. I was going to go to a very advanced, well respected high school where noone knew me - I had a shot at becoming somebody else, "the person I was supposed to be".

My plan was this: I would be the really smart, really pretty girl who wore nice clothes and hung out with the cool kids. Basically: I would still put all the pressure of being number 1 in my class on myself, as well as being the prettiest, skinniest, most popular girl. You think that worked out well for me? Well, I'll tell you one thing: when you stop eating entirely, there's no way you can be at the top of your game. No way in hell.

To make a long story short: I tried, I really did. But I got way too sick, I decided to transfer to a school with a lot lower academic standards, I started wearing all black, I cut class to do modeling gigs more often than I actually showed up in school. The summer after my first year of high school, I had to go take summer classes for six weeks just to go on to the next grade. I WAS A MESS. And this didn't change. About a month before my graduation, one of my teachers told me I was failing so many classes that they weren't going to let me graduate. That was a new low, even for me.

I might have had the attitude of a total screw-up, but luckily I still had the brains of the geek I used to be. I studied like a lunatic the last couple of weeks - and managed to not only pass all the classes I needed to, but to get all A's and B's. So when I finally got to graduate with the rest of my class, it was such a double win. I didn't only get to leave high school with decent grades, I'd also restored my faith in myself, in my own capacity and compentence. I left high school with the feeling that I could do anything, as long as I really gave it my all.

Then I still screwed up again and again, living way too close to the edge for another three years, before I actually got my act together. But that's a whole different story. And I did end up with a job I enjoy, reasonably healthy and happy in a beautiful house with the man I love. Not that this is the end - I try to see every day as the chance to a new beginning. Because I know it's never, ever too late to change your life.


"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."




15 comments:

  1. I loved to read this, Annika! Such a true and strong story! I wish the best for you, now and at the end! I'm happy that everything is going all-right with you!

    As for your outfit, it's GOOOORGEOUS <333 That dress is amazingly pretty and the light of the pics is stunning, as always!

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect outfit!!
    amazing heels :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annika, you tell the best stories! It's so real and I don't know how to describe it? Down-to-earth? Oh wait, that's you! A real and down-to-earth blogger!
    I love your dress <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean for the striving for perfection with grades bit - I mount an enormous amount of stress on myself because I say "what else am I good at?" - recently, it's been because of friends and blogging that I realized I am more than the numbers connected to my GPA. I'm very lucky that there are a lot of people still kind to me despite my obsession - and making time to reflect on the good things in my life keeps me sane. I have other talents - and they matter just as much. Still very worried about the numbers though.

    Anyway - love the photos, as usual - and you have just given me some hope for my future too, so - there you go. I'm very glad you were able to really find yourself, like you said, never too late to do so.

    (For some reason the computer won't let me login to my google account - it's Jenna, just by the way, not an annoymus creeper or something.)

    :)

    charminganachronism.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nádia, you really are a darling! Thank you for your kind words, you're such a generous person. I'm so glad to hear that you took the time to read that story, and that you liked it!

    Twins, thank you!

    Dana Lee, it amazes me that a person can be so sweet and lovely as you. Your comments always make me blush with pride. Thank you, thank you, thank you even more.

    The little world of fashion, thanks!

    Jenna, I'm so glad you realize that you're so much more than the grades you get. As long as you're able to find a balance and not go to crazy, of course there's nothing wrong with being ambitious and concerned about your future - quite the opposite. The problem is that the balance between ambition and unreasonable expectations sometimes is very hard to find. But luckily, it gets easier day by day.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that now you feel good with yourself :) You're so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so in love with your very personal way of writing your blog! & your story reminds me so much of much -though I'm still on the "messed it up" part-, it's kind of very inspiring to read your posts + an excellent way to start the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. on top of this look being absolutely lovely in every way, your story is quite touching. I'm so glad you've ended up right where you wanted to be.

    xo, kelseylee of peachy dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Annika, sorry that I write this but you are the most beautiful persona I have ever seen. Your pictures are amazing and I love reading your posts. Thanks for it.

    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shoes are still to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two things I adore: your outfit and your honesty (oh, and your face :) )! I tend to think I balance myself pretty well between ambitious in my schoolwork, and not stressing too much, but every so often I find myself absolutely freaking out about school. Being a part of the blogging community (in my own small way, haha) definitely helps me keep that good balance more often than not.

    Thank you for being wonderful <3

    Shayli
    what the mirror saw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this story :] You're such a good writer, I can totally feel the things you write about, and not only because I was a tortured geek too :D
    I'm so happy for you, that you're life turned out to be so happy. I see myself in you. Terrible school, but after graduation... journalism, loving boyfriend and an almost own house.. :] And I'm so happy for these things every day :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're 26?! i can't believe it because you look so young (: i love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annika, this inspired me so much. You are such a down-to-earth person! I struggled with perfection, as well. It was to the point where I actually had severe anxiety over my grades, panicking non-stop (actual panic attacks multiple times a week). The stress I put on myself finally took a tole, when I became extremely ill. I contracted a virus that attacked my central nervous system, leaving me with permanent nerve damage in my spine. After becoming so ill (and dealing with the effects to this day - 2 years later) I realized I needed to change. However, I am doing exactly what you did when you went to your new school - except with college. I am taking a year off right now, and keep envisioning myself as the perfect girl - everyone will love me, I will have the best outfits, tons of friends, and perfect grades. Any advice on how to stop this terrible cycle from happening again!?!

    ReplyDelete