Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It was an obsession. A fixation, an addiction, a burning passion.



With Biiankas unexpected trip to the emergency room on Thursday, I never got around to post the photos from when Johanna and I went horsebackriding on Wednesday! Not that there are that many photos from the event – it wasn’t like we could take the camera with us – but at least you can see how beautiful these horses are.
I’ve never even sat on a horse this well-trained and expensive, and I was so nervous I’d fall off and she would run away and get hurt! But nothing of the sort happened, and it was one of the most peaceful and gorgeous afternoons I’ve had in a very long time. Ridiculously warm but with a breeze, the wide yellow and green fields around us bathing in sunlight, the horse’s repetitive movements underneath me… All I could think was ”I need to start doing this more often. I truly need to.”
As soon as you walk into Johanna's family's hallway, you don't have to be a genious to guess that the people who live in this house think animals are pretty awesome.
A kitty was hanging out in the shade on the front porch. 
Her sister was, too.
Horsies!
This is the gorgeous girl I had the honor of taking for a ride. She was a sweetheart and didn't even mention the fact that I haven't been on a horse for at least three years. No, she was very classy, just went along with it, covering for my mistakes.
Oh... herro there!

One of the main reasons why I started this blog was to practice writing in English, and I had a plan that involved translating many of my columns, stories and articles to share with you. Then I became insanely busy and these past weeks I’m well aware that I’ve mostly written ”busy day today, what to say about these clothes, hmm, I like them”. Now that won’t do! I will definitely put more effort into incorporating my writing into my posts from now on – and since I wrote a column about my love for horses last summer, this seemed to be the time to translate it for you!

Tiny Annika, Big love for horses.
That sound.
Emotions as immediate as they are illogical – excitement, jealousy, longing.
I rush to the window, open it up, widely. Then I wait. Listen. Travel back in time.

Nothing makes me ten years old again like the sound of hoofs against asphalt.

I used to love horses. Truly love. I must have ploughed through every book at the library that mentioned the word ”horse” at least three times, I taught myself the latin names of every muscle (extremely important for a veterinarian to be, I figured), always counting the minutes until next time I’d get on the bus that would take me out to Djurgården’s Horse Center.
I lived for the moments in the stables: the lessons inside the dark manege, the scheduled Tuesday afternoons when I got to take care of Cayenne. For five hours a week, I was allowed to gently brush his golden skin, savor his sweet smell, the warmth of his breath. Pretend like he was all mine.

This was no interest, no hobby, no after-school activity. It was an obsession. A fixation, an addiction, a burning passion. My great love.

I was never much of a talent in the saddle. I had no natural flair for neither jumping nor dressage – I came in last at the riding club competitions, was the one who got left behind when the others in my group were moved up to the more advanced levels. And I didn’t mind. In everything I did, I had to be the best to even bother, I needed to be the star not to lose interest. Everywhere but in the stables.

My love for horses had nothing to do with performance. It was unconditional. Everlasting.

And all the grow-ups would smile, the way grow-ups do, with poorly concealed indulgence: Everlasting, well well! Enjoy it while it lasts - there’s only a matter of time before your precious horses are replaced by boys, oh, you’ll see!

I hated their condescending smiles, I hated that they took the liberty of thinking they knew anything at all about me, that they dared to imagine that they could understand the flaming love in my heart.
And then I hated them because they were right.

We never broke up, the horses and I. I don’t even remember it happening. It was the kind of relationship that slowly fades, slipping through your fingers like the fine grains of sand, and suddenly too much time has passed and it’s all over.

The clattering hoofs are getting closer and yes, there they are. A pinto and a chestnut, glowing with sweat from the heat and the exercise, each with a teenage girl on its back.
I’m standing absolutely still in my window, holding my breath. Longing, wishing. Missing. I’m just not sure of what.

I don’t think I want my own horse, not anymore. I’ve had the chance to get back in the saddle a few times over the years, and it’s been great, even though every limb has been aching like it’s going to fall off for days afterwards. But it hasn’t been the same. Not like it used to.

Maybe I’m simply longing for a time when I always had an obvious answer to the questions: what do you wish for more than anything in the world? Where would you rather be right now? What do you want to do when you grow up?

Maybe I miss being able to give my heart without ever wishing for anything in return. The sweet simplicity of unconditional love.

The sound of hoofs against asphalt is fainter now.
Then, silence.


14 comments:

  1. I really love that article you wrote, it's very beautiful. I actually had my own horse and rode competively for 13 years until two years ago due to school commitments I had to sell my boy and continue down a new path of life. Seeing these pictures and reading your beautiful words reminded me how much I MISS it! You've inspired me to do a post about my own horses now!

    Much love,
    Laura
    http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Annika, how I love your blog(s). I've read your Swedish blog since around the time Fanny died (I'm so, so sorry for your loss) and discovered this one just a few days ago. I love all your posts, especially the ones about your cats, but this particular post makes me happy because it could have been written by me. My relationship with horses is EXACTLY the same as yours. Lately I've actually been contemplating getting back in the saddle to get that one or two hours a week of breathing space and not having to be perfect. Will have to find the money first, though, but it's definitely a priority.

    Also, I can relate why you've started an English blog. I'm half Danish, half British myself and my written Danish is infinitely better than my written English which frustrates me no end. I've often thought about starting a blog in English myself and have even tried a few times but always end up giving up after a few weeks because I feel so limited in my ability to express myself.

    Äsch, sorry for this me-me-me! comment, I was just so relieved to see that I'm not alone with my thoughts.

    xo,
    Hazel
    http://vortidsheltinde.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, kitties, oh, horses! my 2 fav animals :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the pics!! so cute

    sweetdifferences.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love horses! I saw your picture on chictopia's homepage. you look really lovely! congrats :))

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love riding horses, especially when they run, it's good fun! :)
    I hardly get to ride horses nowadays, it's kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful column. I too used to ride horses, but then one day the horse I was riding gallopped off, with me on her back holding on for dear life. After that I was petrified of riding again, and I haven't returned to that stable since. Right now, we can't afford for me to start riding again but the farm across the road has horses, and I may be able to ride in exchange for mucking out stables. If I can combat my fear!
    But, Annika, your talent for writing is amazing. You're such a brilliant writer, and I love reading a blog where words & clothes are used in equal measure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a beautiful article, Annika. You somehow managed to turn a topic as simple as "my favorite childhood past-time" into an incredibly insightful column about naivety and the love that we lose as we learn to love more. That's what I love about your blog--it's not just you standing behind a camera and taking pictures of yourself so people can praise you, it's a place where I can come to think. Thank you for that.
    Odelia

    youreatulle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post! I love horses too, such graceful creatures.

    www.blackandblondeone.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annika your posts aren't like poetry, they ARE poetry! This column in beautiful - your love of horses really shines through, and I admire how it was never important to you to win competitions as it was the horses you loved - not winning. Th photos are amazing too - you manage to look lovely as ever even when your out riding! Pleeeease can we have more columns translated into English? They are always so moving + inspiring.

    Alexandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annika, your story gave me goosebumps. I felt a chill on the back of my neck at the very end. Your writing is so beautiful. You amaze me as always. I look forward to reading more from you!

    xoxo
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! This gave me shivers.

    (And the first bit made me desperate to ride a horse again. I think I can go up in Connecticut with Ryan's mom. I loved horses, but not like you. I love how this made me think, well...what did I love like this?

    Children's books ;))

    I just love your blog. I love that I can sign on and read something wonderful and sweet and interesting and sad and funny... It's like following a character in a living novel.
    xx
    Izzy
    www.misadventuresofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always wanted to ride a horse! Looks like that will never happen, but it is always nice to dream! haha, great post! you look so different without make-up, but still look amazing, as always :)

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Annika! I like horse too!:) In my opinion they are fantastic creatures! When I was little I did vaulting (gymnastics exercises performed on the horse in motion) and I made various stages of riding, but it costs a lot! So I just watch them, pet them and dream of riding on again!
    So, all I can say is..... HORSE!

    Laura:)

    ReplyDelete