Saturday, June 11, 2011

How To Keep One's Figure.

I just got an e-mail from a reader, asking me to write a post on the subject "how to keep one's figure".

Your wish is my command.





1. Eat.

Two reasons. If you try to lose weight by skipping meals, your body will panic, thinking it's going to starve. That means that when you - tired, nauseous and terribly slow-witted - finally eat again, your body will transform what you eat into fat and store it so it has a back-up for the next time you're silly enough to skip a meal. This will definitely not help you keep your figure. Oh, and the other reason? If you skip enough meals, you'll die. And we don't want that, do we? At least I don't. And I hope from the bottom of my heart that you don't either.

2. Eat - again.

The very best thing you can do is to eat food that you like, regularly throughout the day, to keep your metabolism active. I'm going to say it again: Don't. Skip. Meals.

3. Be nice to your body.

Eat things that gives you energy and makes you feel good. Of course you can eat candy, cupcakes, icecream and other delicious sweets - just not all the time. Too much sugar makes us dizzy and tired and stimulates the parts of our brain that makes us crave more and more and more. Then, if we don't eat more sugar, we start to feel irritated and get trouble focusing. But you probably already know all this. Anyway, if you feel guilty from eating too much unhealthy sweets or fast food - seriously, just drop it! Who cares? There are so many other things you could feel guilty about instead. Like... not telling your parents that you love them as often as you should. Or something.

4. Take a walk (or whatever).

I don't mean "walk really fast for three hours a day". I mean, take a walk now and then. Or go for a run. Or play basketball, have sex, take the bike out, go swimming. Do something that you think is fun and that reminds you that your body is awesome and can do all sorts of cool stuff.


5. Stop comparing yourself to other people.

The perfect body doesn't exist. What you see in magazines is fake. What you see in fashion blogs is what the bloggers choose to display. You have a friend who happens to have the perfect body? Umm... does she think so? Really? I didn't think so. The grass is always greener and you know it. Which brings us to number six:

6. Be grateful for the body you've got.

I know this is easier said than done, but please, give it a try. A real try. You can spend your life worrying about your hips, your thighs, your stomach, your nose, your knees, your calves, your butt, your toes or whatever it is you wish you could change. Or you could do everything in your power to be grateful for the fact that you're healthy. That you're blessed with a body and mind that provide you the opportunity to live a long, full and happy life. How this helps you to "keep your figure"? I promise that the more you appreciate your body, the less you will care if you lose or gain a few pounds as time passes. So maybe it doesn't exactly help you to keep your figure, but it does give you a better life.

One more thing. Having an eating disorder equals living in hell. Eating should be something you do because it tastes good and because it gives your body the energy it needs, it should definitely not be something that's connected to guilt, shame or angst. If you think way too much about your weight and feel like it's starting to take over your life, please talk to someone. Get help. The sooner, the better. If you're worried about a friend - do everything you can to help her. And also, remember that you're wonderful. Remember that you're so much more than your dress size, so much more than what you wear, so much more than what you see when you look in the mirror. I don't care if it sounds lame. Just remember it.


24 comments:

  1. I'm am writing this while scoffing my dad's homemade chocolate mousse, which I am wholeheartedly enjoying. This post once again confirms your talents as a writer, and as a very thoughtful person.
    I enjoy eating - my waistline has been smaller, but I'm not modelling at the moment, so why worry? I don't eat unhealthily, and although I should exercise more, I am confident in my body. Food should be a pleasure, not a source of anxiety, as you rightly point out.
    I thought I would point you in the direction of this post, which tackles the assumption that there is one body ideal we should all aspire to - http://teaandfeathers.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/all-together-now-we-are-all-real/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say?! Only thank you!
    It is optimistic and so real)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is by far, the smartest and most beautiful stuff I have read in a fashion blog for ages. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire this girl:
    http://curvesarethenewblack.blogspot.com/
    She looks good despit her sizes.
    When I saw the topic abaut she, a anderstood that my sizes are good, I have good material for a work, so I try to facet the gem)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. So smart, so talented, so funny! I like the "you'll die" part! Keep em coming! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Last night my housemate was leaving for a run whilst I was going to eat ice cream whilst playing computer games. Definately a twinge of guilt, but I knew I would be having fun.
    I actually blogged about my gaining weight just today. I know I've put on more weight this last year but I also know every time I try to lose it I do a 2 week burst of loads of exercise and then get too busy. I dont have the determination so I have to just accept how I am.

    Twas a beautiful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for keeping it real! i struggle with body image like anyone else but my friends do even moreso. i guess some cultures accept body fat less but that's not okay. i'm glad that you're gorgeous and along the way have come to accept curves, because curves are pretty. i'm even happier you're sharing this with everyone else.

    pandaphilia fashion

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heart you, According to Annika ;)I really needed to hear this today... I have a modeling shoot tomorrow, so I weighed myself and it's really high (I don't know how I got into modeling at a size 6...at least it's been inspiring for some women! But for me it's this constant worry about staying a size 4 in a size 0 industry.). I know they're going to think I'm fat and there's no way I can lose five pounds in 24 hours but I've skipped all my meals so far today because I don't feel like I can cancel my shoot and and and!... Anyway I'm going to go eat and then make a decision with a happier mindset. Plus I couldn't confide in any of my friends or boyfriend either because no one wants me modeling...so it was really lucky I checked your blog! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. And the happier mindset me decided... I'm going out with my friends and boyfriend to get Mexican food! (I was going to sit at home alone not eating and maybe go the gym on a Saturday night for crying out loud if I hadn't seen your blog!) And I'm going to go to my shoot tomorrow at my current size. I just posted my very first shoot which was at a size 6/8 on lookbook to help remind me that's where my body wants to be.. and I can look pretty okay that way. So thank you for encouraging girls to be healthy and happy and to appreciate their bodies! It's so true...Beauty comes in many different sizes. What shines through and really makes you beautiful is your spirit! Okay thanks again for the wakeup call and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great post Annika! In my opinion, I think you can eat, as long as you exercise too. It's hard work, but it definitely gets the job done!
    And yes, everyone has body problems, nobody is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for this post. You're right, the most important thing is just to eat.
    I had eating disorders some time ago and now I know that loosing weight can't be permanent.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post ! you're so correct ! :) You have a fabulous body too! :)
    Following you ! :D

    www.arty-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly think this is the most real fashion blog I have ever read. I want to show this to all the girls in my year who skip lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I agree with you 100%! So many girls are insecure about the way they look just because stupid super skinny role models. It's time to start displaying REALITY.

    http://lifeisaromanticpoem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly impressed by this post. I was beginning to doubt the truth of your online persona but if something like this comes out of it then i guess it doesn't really matter. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gertrude, now this sure is interesting! "Doubt the truth of my online persona" how? In what way? I feel like I've been extremely open during the month I've been writing here, and I'd love to know what it is that's causing you to doubt the content of this blog. Please do tell!

    xo
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh your post was lovely and wise :) I belive the more you focus in losing weigth and stress about it the more you are likely to eat more and feel bad about yourself :) For me beautiful people is about how they feel inside not really the size od their dresses. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful post! I love all of this advice and I'd just like to add that the greatest rebellion is to love yourself completely in a society that wants you to think you're not good enough. Bodies come in infinite combinations of shapes and sizes, each of them beautiful. I hope one day we'll all be able to see that incredible beauty instead of judge ourselves so harshly.
    Thanks for this post :)

    Kati

    http://secondhandfantasyland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. :'] Makes me smile! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god, you seem to bee such a gorgeous and lovely person! Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your wonderfully true words. Love /emma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oww! Well, i agree with girls about: "Such a great post", "wonderfully true words" and so on. But there is one more thing about your posts: your language. English is not my mother tongue, so sometimes i have to use my dictionary but your posts is so clear to me, your thoughts are so similar to my mind that i can understand everything! And...i'm not sure if i can explain but...your style seems so..hmmm noble! heh it sounds funny and strange...well, anyway just thank you for pleasure i've got.

    ReplyDelete