Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tutorial: How I Edit My Photos, 2.

One of the questions I was asked in our little Q&A session was how I edit my photos.

I actually made a very simple photo editing tutorial back in May - gosh, only six days after I started the blog! I really went all in straight away, it seems.

Anyway, since I rarely get that beautiful backlight anymore (one of the few things I don't like about this season), the editing of my photos is - if possible - even simpler now. OK, it might be exactly the same, come to think of it. Nevermind, I'll make a new one anyway, just to show you how easy it is!

I use Photoshop for all of my editing, but these things can be done in most editing programs. The only free software I've tried is Gimp, and I found it worked just fine, as long as you don't attempt to do anything too advanced.

Now, let's edit a photo in two quick steps!


So, we have our original. It doesn't look too bad, but when we have all these beautiful colors - the red of the sweater and lips, the navy blue blazer and the green surroundings - why not make them pop?


Step 1 - I'm using Curves to make the photo a bit lighter. Not because it's too dark, but because it will keep those barely noticeable lines and shadows in the face from suddenly becoming much more visible once we get to step 2. It also helps bring out the colors, as well as make sure we don't lose all the texture of the clothes and hair.


Step 2 - I choose "Brightness/Contrast" and just crank the contrast up to a 100%. Because we started by brightening the image, we can use this much contrast without making the photo appear too dark.


...and we're done!

If I was to spend more than two minutes on the editing of this photo, I would probably make my neck a little less dark, and bring out the texture of the pants, since they are now nothing but a black mass. I could also use "Hue/Saturation" to make the colors even more vibrant. Should we try it? Well, why not.


First, we need to make sure we have the layer with the brighter version of the original underneath the new layer with all the contrast on. Then let's choose the eraser tool, set the opacity to around 20%, and start working on the pants! We want to bring out the feel of the fabric, without making them look grey.


There we go!


Okay. Now we're going to make a copy of the background layer and then merge down the top (contrasted) layer. We then use the eraser tool again, this time on the neck. Then we make the brighter, bottom layer a little bit more bright, using Curves.


And then a ton of contrast to even everything out.


And why not add a bit more saturation, while we're at it?

I made a new layer first, then erased the lower part of the face from the saturated layer, because the lipstick popped a bit too much. Then I used the clone stamp tool to even out the neck, since it looked a bit spotty.


So, now we have the old finished version to the left, and our more advanced result on the right. Not that much of a difference - which is why I very rarely take the time to make those extra touches (unless I'm working on paid assignments where the photos are going to be printed, obviously) - but they do claim God is in the details...

Last but not least, I decided to use the clone stamp tool to make myself superdupermegaextra pretty, like a supermodel! Like a SUPERDUPERMODEL! (Those are even more beautiful than supermodels, unless you didn't get that.)


Enough with the fun and games - I have to leave for Stockholm in, well, I should have left ten minutes ago. My sister Amanda and I are going to the Blog Awards gala and we're meeting in an hour to get all dolled up and ready to mingle! I have made peace with the fact that I haven't got even the slightest chance of winning - no hard feelings, this blog is still a baby and I haven't got very many Swedish readers - but that sure won't stop me from looking like a winner... Tomorrow it will be up to you to decide if I succeeded!







PS. I'm hoping that the wonderful photographer Elin "Nevnarien" Kero wins the award in my category. She seems like the sweetest girl and her photos are truly magnificent. Check out her blog - sure, it's in Swedish, but a picture says more than a thousand words and so on! DS.

15 comments:

  1. I like the way you edit your pictures! Love the contrasting idea, to be honest, I never have guts to make such a high contrast in my picture. You look so gorgeous!

    xx
    en la moda
    GIVEAWAY!

    http://kristellouisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely post Annika- I've always wondered how some bloggers edit their photographs. You rank among my top bloggers, so I'm thrilled to see this.

    love and rest,
    (^.^) Hope to hear from you. x
    www.amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are the most beautiful girl i've ever seen, not only on the outside, the inside to!
    sending all my love and luck to you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use tinypic xD i also sometimes use gimp, but i'm too lazy for that xD

    my blog-followme♥mfashionfreak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this! I've always wondered and wondered how you get your photos to look so pretty! Btw what time of day do you take your photos? It looks like...late afternoon?

    www.closetvoygae.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice, thank you so much for your advice!! :)
    http://kateonskate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahah I'm in love with the last photo. I really hope you win! x hivenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, I hope YOU win! :]
    (although it is a great photoblog indeed)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Åh jag stod och spanade på dig men vågade inte säga hej. Så hej i efterskott.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hej Annika!
    Tack så mkt för dessa tips! Ville bara tipsa om ett annat sätt man kan få färgerna att "poppa" om du är intresserad :) Jag snappade upp det från en annan hemsida och tycker det är kanon.
    http://lisaedoff.blogspot.com/2011/07/photoshop-tutorial-learn-basic-photo.html

    Kram Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Du lägger alltid upp så vackra bilder!! förutom den där sista kanske.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I really needed this! The first parts I usually try to do with my photos, but I would never have know how to lighten the pants or neck. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete