Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Everyone knows that the most genious films have no plot but plenty of shots of planetary movements, lava, bacteria, and jellyfish.

Black satin shorts and pinstriped shirt, Monki. Brown leather satchel, Vero Moda. Black army boots, Vagabond. Lipstick, "Red Revolution" by Maybelline.

(Photos by my boyfriend Ronnie.)

My dear boyfriend is great. In so many ways. Just not when it comes to my camera.

Honestly, it's like he's trying to get me out of focus - which makes me talk in almost every photo, saying "honey, please point the camera directly at me, it doesn't work like that, people are watching, please just do as I say!".

But he doesn't. I think he believes "normal" photos are "boring". I try to tell him that photos I can't use are even more boring, but he doesn't agree. And I know that the moment I start arguing, he's going to refuse to take any more photos for the rest of my stay here in NYC. So I do my best to keep my mouth shut. At least he sometimes gets a photo or two where you can actually see that it's me in the picture and where I don't look like a dinosaur.

He's very supportive of my style, though! When I asked if he liked the outfit he said "yeah, sure. You look like a schoolgirl who... umm... has been held back for many, many, many years." I chose to take that as some kind of a compliment.

Disclaimer: Ronnie is a brilliant person, the best one I know. He may not be very much into fashion, or style, or shopping, or blogging, or outfit photography. But he hangs in there and tries to help out with the blog, and I'm grateful, even when I complain.

Anyway! Last night we went to see The Tree of Life, but first, we scarfed down the most delicious bacon cheeseburgers I've ever tasted.


And then... wow. The Tree of Life. What can I say? I have never, ever been so bored at a movie theatre - wait, yeah, I have. When I saw The Thin Red Line with the rest of my class in the 9th grade and felt like I was being tortured. Guess it should have come as no surprise that the same Terrence Malick directed both of them - but when I discovered it, after we came home last night, I laughed out loud for five minutes straight. Man, Mr Malick and I sure don't have the same view on the subject "how to make a film that is not pretentious crap and does not make the audience pray they're on Candid Camera and that at any moment the lights will come on, they will all feel stupid but relieved and then the REAL movie will start".

The only reason we didn't leave the theatre during the first twenty minutes was that we're both way too cheap - I'd just paid 26$ for those tickets and I wanted my money's worth!

Big mistake. BIG MISTAKE. We soon realized we would gladly have paid 100$ - each - to get those 2 hours and 18 minutes back.


But please! Go see it if you want. Just because I thought is was a piece of horse manure doesn't mean you will. 99,99% of the world's critics claim this is a masterpiece; "cinema that's thinking big." They adore the excruciatingly long sequence of "shots of planetary movements, hot geysers, lava, bacteria, molecules, jellyfish, canyons and churning seas give way to a CGI dinosaur caressing another injured beast – a scene of prehistoric kindness." (The Observer.) They write about the fact that the film does not have a plot like is sensationally clever, like all the trivial, mundane films out there who actually have a plot simply don't know better.

Yeah, I'll admit it: it pisses me off to pay money only to feel like an idiot. I find it embarrassing and a bit offensive. I watch an enormous amount of films of plenty of different genres, I read novels, I read books about films; I'm interested, I'm open-minded, and to be honest, I'm quite easily impressed. But I can not stand watching a movie where I'm supposed to look at lava and molecules and white clouds for twenty minutes while voices are suggestively whispering "why... why did you.... are you watching me? What is the purpose... tell me..."

The whole thing made me think of one of my professors at University. This sweet lady with long, grey hair and huge glasses. She was some kind of filmmaker - or at least she wanted to be - and in my first class with her, she showed us a short film she'd made. What I remember is this: a lake, some clouds, a traffic light, two swans flying away. When she turned it off, she looked anxious and asked us, "is it way too obvious?". (Apparently it was supposed to be about September 11th. Obviously.)

Oh, how I can see Terrence Malick standing in front of his crew, having finished putting together the everlasting sequence with the jellyfish, the lava, the bacteria, the planets, the canyons, the dinosaurs and the voice over whispers, anxiously asking: is it way too obvious?





19 comments:

  1. that bacon cheese burger is making HUNGRY! I just had supper like 5 min ago! gosh! just looking at the bacons & fries is making be drool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That outfit is gorgeous, and I love the last picture! So jealous of your satchel!Thanks so much for giving that advice about the movie, I was going to go and see it, but now you and lots and lots of others have said it isn't worth it!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the outfit! very simple!


    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky enough to stumble on your blog through Sandra, and I love it! What a great new find, I really like your pictures and the way you write!

    Anyway, you seem to do lots of fun things in New York, do you think you could perhaps make a little New York guide with your favourite spots? I'm going there in the middle of August and it would be great to have some good cool new ideas of where to go and what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, of course you should see it if you want to make up your own opinion - but honestly, I wished someone had warned me before I went to see it. I'm looking forward to "Crazy Stupid Love" instead. :)

    mkbarcelona, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you're here and that you enjoy the blog. But I'm really sorry, I don't think I'll be able to make a guide to New York - this is my first time ever in NYC, I know nothing about where to go or what to do! Me and my boyfriend just eat at places we happen to come by, and in the daytime he's always at school and I'm walking around the neighbourhood, having coffee at Starbucks, looking at people, or just working from "home" (the tiny apartment Ronnie is renting). BUT, if I find any cool places that I figure people might not know about, I promise I'll let you know! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh God! I completely agree with you when it comes to that movie! I simply do not understand why that picture won the Golden Palm in Cannes, the whole poetic thing was just boring, boring and boring! :) It's a first time when I comment but I adore your why of thinking, writing and styling. :)
    Magda from Poland
    PS. I was positively surprised when I found out that your mother is a writer, whose books are plenty in my house and my dad and I just love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you and Ronnie both will have to stop being embarrassed while taking outfit-photos in the street, because most of the blurring is from movement. And from not letting the camera's autofocus work properly.

    You're in New York! No-one cares a bit about what you're doing, so relax and try to take your time. I might be more easily said than done, but as long as you're not holding up traffic you've got all the time in the world. Keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magda, thank yoooooooou! I can't tell you how glad I am to hear I'm not the only one who felt this way about Tree of Life! Oh and also, a thousand times thank you for your sweet and generous words about my blog. I truly appreciate it! <3

    Woodman, sure, these photos are somewhat blurry since it was too dark to use a decent shutter speed. But I definitely consider them "normal". But keep in mind that Ronnie took about 60 photos and these were the only ones I could use. In the other 55, he would either tilt the camera in strange ways, or set the auto focus on the background instead of on me. He honestly does this because he thinks regular outfit photos are too boring to take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how you feel! My husband is the same, except he's the one that hates that people are watching, so he hurriedly snaps a couple blurry photos and tries to put the camera away quickly. It is frustrating but I force him to take a couple more shots and he usually gives in;)

    Aesthetic Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  10. I told ya! :D
    (or.. my friend told ya)
    (http://accordingtoannika.blogspot.com/2011/07/romantic-comedy-made-entirely-out-of.html#comments)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so beautiful...seriously:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your satchel, boots and loove your lipstick color, sooo great on you! :D
    I LOL'd and smiled while reading about your bf, taking your photos, especially on,
    "Where you can actually see that it's me in the picture and where I don't look like a dinosaur". LOL :D
    And omgod at the movie, "I'm supposed to look at lava and molecules and white clouds for twenty minutes while voices are suggestively whispering "why... why did you.... are you watching me? What is the purpose... tell me..."
    O.o I never heard of that movie actually. Yeah, I don't get those kind of movies. O.o
    Maybe they're trying to make artsy-ish kidn of movies? Idk. Because I have seen some arty-ish movies, and
    they're a bit strange, but some I like. ^^
    LOL @ what your uni teacher said, if it was too obvious.
    -Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this outfit. I feel this outfit are comfortable to wear to anywhere including school.
    love it !

    3lin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'M BACK!
    and i can't wait to comment every blog entry i missed. i mean i was reading your blog as often as i could but i only had my iphone because my own laptop was at home and i was so stressed in the last couple of days, i slept every night somwhere else and then i got really ill from sunday till yesterday..and yes. but if you go on my blog you can see some (really only a few pictures i'm sorry) of my last days. :)

    i just want to let you know that i'm now at home, really at home and i have my laptop and i have TIME. and i'm so glad about having the chance again to be a "part" of your daily life again, in some case i really missed that!!

    i'm so jealous about your trip to NY :) you look simply beautiful. don't be so hard with your boy, i think he did really good work! :)

    your outfit is beautiful and you look as smart as always and i'm really hungry again when i see those bacon burger, maybe this will be my lunch?


    have a nice day!


    LOVE nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your comments on Tree Of Life. I was so upset by that whole movie. Esspecially since the trailer made it seem like a phenomenal story about childhood, love, and loss. The movie was bullshit, honestly. Straight, pretentious, bullshit. I dont recommend anyone to see it and I have NO IDEA how it won the Cannes Film Festival over Midnight in Paris... That was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that is a very great look for you! I love the leather shorts!!

    xx Laura
    http://schanzenschwestern.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mariel, I couldn't agree more! THANK YOU!

    Laura, thanks sweetheart, but they're not leather... they're satin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh god, I'm so happy to hear you hated it too! I went through the same disaster you did.. Went to the theatre with boyfriend, paid way too much money, got bored but didn't want to leave because I am a cheapskate! Anyways, stopped by your blog via Lookbook and am very amused! You way of writing is so funny, your outfits are really pretty and you yourself are too!

    ReplyDelete