Thursday, June 2, 2011

About becoming a braver, more confident person - through fashion blogging.


Though I've been writing a person blog for six years, I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to the whole "fashion blogger scene". So naturally, when I saw the "How to be a successful fashion blogger"-feature is the latest Chictopia newletter, I immediately clicked on it. One can never get too much advice, that's for sure!

The feature turned out to mostly focus on those who have not yet started their blogs, but the writer shared a tweet that I really think nails what the blogging experience is all about:

"When you’re a blogger you also need to be a photographer, stylist, graphic designer, coder, writer, model & marketing guru."
Jessie Stoelwinder of The Velvet Bow

In a way I guess you could see this as being unfair - how can a person be expected to master all of these skills?! But at the same time, blogging is an amazing opportunity to practice and get better. Noone will make fun of you for starting at the bottom, you can get feedback and share your progress with your readers.

And to be honest, we all know that not every successful blogger is "a photographer, stylist, graphic designer, coder, writer, model and marketing guru". And that's okay, because just because you're a blogger, you don't have to do everything all by yourself! I know (of) so many people who have friends, parents or partners with amazing photography skills who take all of their photos, there are plenty of tutorials and generous people out there that will help you with the graphic design and coding if you don't want to get into it yourself, and there are also lots of immensely popular blogs who are almost completely based on photography (for those who aren't as keen as myself on writing way too long stories).

I guess what I'm trying to say is though it's absolutely true that being a person of many talents can surely help a blog becoming widely appreciated and recognized, but the awesome thing about blogging is also that there's a spot and a niche for everyone.

Obviously it will take quite some time before I (or anyone else) will start to think of myself as a "successful fashion blogger", but I've had a blog for a long time and thought, why not share some of my own blogging tips anyway?









The most common thing a young girl will hear from her parents when mentioning her desire to start a blog has to be "but honey, isn't that going to take up way too much of your time? Shouldn't you be focusing on school/work/ballet/cleaning your room?". The answer to this is: no, blogging doesn't have to be time consuming at all.

But - if you want a lot of people to quickly find your blog and start to follow it, then, yes. It's really simple: the more time and effort you put into your blog, especially in the beginning, the more people are likely to find it and like it.

Personally, I decided when I started this blog, that I would dedicate a lot of my time to it. The reason is that I know myself way too well - if people don't read and comment, I'd probably get bored and give it up in the matter of weeks. Therefor, I spend hours every day taking photos and editing them, writing the posts and visiting the blogs of the lovely people who comment on mine.

I didn't start this blog to become rich and famous (although that sure would be nice, at least the rich part - I found a pair of amazing shoes online today that I really wish I could buy, haha!), but I did start is to share and showcase my photography and my writing. And the whole point of that is that people see it.

Bottom line: The more time spent, the more readers you'll get! Simple, huh? :)







Yes, I know this isn't for everyone. Some people are not at all comfortable with sharing personal details from their lives. Well, as some of you may have already noticed - I'm not one of those people. I absolutely love writing about my own experiences, my thoughts and feelings and my view on different subjects. And those are also the blogs I most enjoy reading. Blogs where you come to feel like the blogger is one of your friends, you care for her, laugh with her when times are good and cry with her when they're just not. (Or him, of course.) Sure, I'm interested in nice photography and fabulous outfits, but I'm way more interested in the people wearing the clothes. It's always the person behind the blog that keeps me coming back.







I would say that one of the best parts of blogging is that it's not real life. You can wear the most imaginative, ridiculous and daring outfit in a post, just because you always wanted to try it on - who cares if you chicken out and end up going to school in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt? You might have inspired someone else to be a little bit braver, and most of all - when you realize that there are people out there who think you look outstanding, maybe you'll actually start feeling comfortable in that completely original outfit. It's my true belief that sharing our styles online makes us braver, that it boosts our imagination as well as our confidence.

So, there you have the answer. "Yeah, mom - blogging might steal away from the time I could have spent cleaning my room. But it might also make me a braver, more confident person, and let me meet some absolutely amazing new friends. I think it could actually be worth it."



19 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything you said here. Especially about style blogging making you a braver, more confident person. Since I started my blog I've become way more confident in who I am, I've realized more of who I am, and I find that even though I don't always wear the outfits I post, I'm starting to be braver and not care what other people think in real life. So what if I don't dress like your average teenager? So what if they think that I'm self-absorbed? I've learned not to beg for the favor and good opinion of others.

    Thanks for these tips! I love that you actually live out your advice. :)

    xoxo
    Maria Elyse
    First Impressions
    Flying Ships Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. such wonderful advice~ lovely!

    xx Kelli
    Dirt & Diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hit the fashion blogging scene (even now I don't feel qualified to say I'm part of it; I don't feel cool enough) this March, and discovered all of these tips the hard way. I discovered recently that I really need to make time for my blog and LB/Chictopia if I want to attact any attention. I almost gave up on the whole thing because it became too boring at first!

    Still, I hope to achieve the same blog status as the blogs I adore and love to read. Thanks for your tips! I almost thought that opening up would scare people off or bore them, if I tried it. I'll definitely remember these. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips Annika! The make time portion is very true. I once spent 30 minutes commenting on blogs, haha! Totally ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice--and I agree with the confidence thing. This time last year, I would maybe wear something 'creative' around the house, but I'd never dream of wearing, say, clashing prints out and about. Now, I can walk into the local charity shop, full of old ladies, in a pair of purple tights. And other clothes too, of course. But also a pair of eye-popping purple tights.
    I'm still very shy in reality, and I get insulted also, like the time I had to leave my English lesson because this guy started swearing at me, calling me ugly, and so on... But instead of crying myself to sleep, I remember all the lovely blog comments people shared on my last outfit post, and I feel confident and beautiful{ish} again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips Annika, they've certainly worked for you! :)

    Out of interest, do you do your own photography or does someone take your pictures for you?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello lovely! found your blog through the wonderful Blogger friend Barbro on her 'Blogger Spotlight' today! love love your style shoots, amazing! and so true your saying about becoming a better blogger, still getting their, as I am more of a portraitist and reporter of fashion and all kinds of style related things! ;) xoxo

    greets Cam

    http://some-kind-of-style.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm far from a fashion blogger and I mostly just blog about whatever I feel like writing. And I put out photos, sometimes of my outfit but mostly of other stuff. Like my face xD

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are great and authentic tips. you've done a great job and i can tell you really like blogging! i totally agree about tip #3

    pandaphilia fashion

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with you about blogging helping make me more confident and bold. I've always been a pretty confident person, but I tend to internalize things, even despite my vow to be more honest on my blog, haha. My hope is as I become a better blogger, I'll also become more and more confident about the things that matter :)

    Thank you for your tips! I'm sure I'm not alone when I say how much I appreciate the effort you put into your blog.

    <3
    Shayli
    what the mirror saw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like your point of view... actually you are making me a happier blogger :P I have "issues" regarding my (pretty new i assure you) fashion blogging experience.. from time to time i feel akward..like im doing something bad, overexposing myself etc... :)
    but i love blogging when it comes to meeting people like you.. there you go girl ;)
    xxx
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful post Annika, I've been blogging for a while now but not really putting as much effort and as i would like to in my posts because I found it difficult to 'me' in my writing and to be honest a little daunting to open up.

    But I've started making more of an effort now and couldn't agree with you more on everything you've written about blogging. Thanks for sharing lovely :)

    x
    redmeravintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. HILARIOUS and completely true! I am in the midst of coming up with the concept for my blog (and, if you have the time, I would LOVE some of your input because I am one of those girls you mentioned who truly is inspired by you). When I mentioned it to my mom, well, you literally took the words out of her mouth--besides the ballet. The thing that my DSLR-less venture into outfit photography and blogging is finding someone who understands the importance of all of this and wants to help out. I have a few, but need more, friends who enjoy taking photos of me all dolled up and I am feeling more and more comfortable getting my picture taken!
    Don't have a blog for you to check out right now but definitely stop by my Chictopia page--JGulman (so original, I know--I need help ha)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Annika for your recommendations. It's really important ones. I am trying to become a really good blogger for a year, but it's really hard for me, cause in my country and even in company nobody can really help me.
    Sometimes i spend a lot of time making my blog better, inspire myself by others, but now i see that nothing had happen.
    Maybe you can help me?
    I love your blog very much.You are a great person with a great taste in life and fashion.
    sorry for my mistakes in english.
    mari.xoxo
    http://17trolleybus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Anika!! Now I know why Barbro and you are friends...
    I love the way you think, caring about others is what really matters behind this materialistic world. I wish I could be a good writer to express all what I feel...
    My blog has given me amazing friends and the oportunity to meet inspiring people like you.
    Thanks for sharing your experience...

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really good tips, especially because I just started my blog! Thanks for being my first of followers, Annika :) You're blog is a joy to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annika, thank you so much for sharing :) for me, blogging is such a refreshing moment and it's like a runaway for me from my college life :p sometimes when I was on a task deadline or exam weeks, I feel like my blog and blogwalking are my temptations so I have to control myself, and make them as motivators for me to finish all my duties.

    lovely post Annika, keep posting!
    <3
    la femme

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ima a new blogger! just started like 2 days ago! ive been creating it for a month now! Your blog was the first one i saw i first the first one i actually started to read! im a junior in highschool and im the girl who wears werid stuff im from teneessee and no body here dresses like me i use to hide it and try to be normal. but i realized one day i cant hide my individuality! i always dye my fair a different shade of red i can be goth one day, graphic t and jeans the next! im open for and constructive critsism or advice!!
    signed a baby blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jag älskar att du inte är en av dom som inte vill berätta nått om dig själv eller ditt privatliv. Jag älskar mode, men en blogg med bara det kan bli lite ytligt. I din blogg är det ju underbart mode (älskar dina kläder, och dina foton!) samtidigt som det är du. Och då känner man sig mer som en del utav det.

    ReplyDelete