Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Back Home Breakfast.

My first morning back in my house, naturally I had to make myself the breakfast I've been yearning for these past three weeks!

Nothing against American breakfasts, gosh no, but after a while... I just get fed up (haha) with pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs. And when I left New York, I was also pretty much done with my usual everyday Starbucks morning meal: greek yoghurt with granola, fruit bowl, mocha frappuccino and tomatoe and mozzarella panini. Don't get me wrong, I love all of those things, but after puking my guts - and my breakfast - out on Union Square the day before I left (thanks to menstrual cramps), I didn't really feel like having that specific combination ever again.  (Believe me, it didn't taste nearly as good on its way up as it used to on the way down.)

Ooops, sorry, no talk about throw up close to photos of delicious food! My bad!

Let's get back to today's long-lusted-for breakfast.

 To drink: blueberry tea and many, many glasses of fresh juice, made out of...

...two oranges, one pink grapefruit and lots of carrots. (I totally hated myself when I stood there, making it, and caught myself thinking "wow, I've really missed my juicer". What's happened to me? When did I become the kind of person who misses a juicemaker?)

Sure, scrambled eggs are fine, but I prefer my eggs boiled, ideally by me. I happen to have a sixth sense - I don't need a timer, I always know exactly when to take the saucepan off of the stove for the eggs to be just the way I want them. This particular skill only works on eggs and may not be very useful in other areas of my life, but it does comes in sort of handy while making breakfast.

Now, onto sandwiches:

Shrimps and mayo. This may seem completely gross to you, but then I'm going to assume you've never had fresh Swedish shrimps. (Or you have but just don't like it, in which case I feel sorry for you since you must have something seriously wrong with your tastebuds. Justkiddingbutnotreally.)

Smoked ham and yellow bell pepper.

Brie cheese and apricot jam. Proooobably the best sandwhich ever. Well, at least if we don't count the shrimps-and-mayo-one.

Now I have to get some work done, while trying to ignore the fact that my kitties are furious at me for not letting them out. Baz is meowing mournfully by the door, Biianka laying on the kitchen table where I'm sitting, watching me with eyes overflowing with resentment. I've told them time and time again that I just want them to stay inside for one day, to get used to the fact that they're back home, but I don't think that's going to work. I'll have to get my writing done fast and then follow the cats outside to keep an eye out for the devilish Sotis. Because this night will not end with Biianka being chased up a tree by that little demon. It won't!

27 comments:

  1. Mmmm... I love Swedish breakfasts; open face sandwiches are so good and Americans think it's totally weird to have that for breakfast. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!-roselee

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I have never thought about eating sandwiches with shrimps and mayo... must be amazing :>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't know where to start with this comment. I've been following your blog since last fall, and since I'm a weirdo I've read all of your posts, on your first blog, the Aftonbladet-blog, and now this one. If I find a blog that I like (and I LOVE yours) I can't miss out on any single post. So, now when I'm up to date I can say; really liking this new blog, and I love that it's in English. I think your writing is great and that you are absolutely stunning (but I've said that like a hundred times on your last blog), but you can never say it too much, right? So, to wrap this up, I will be a devoted reader, and I would love it if you checked out my blog. The adress is http://saraochlisa.blogspot.com Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa, that's because Americans themselves are weird! ;) And let's face it, there are plenty of wonderful things about the US, but I wouldn't consider their taste in food being one of them. Had to put a link to your blog in my link list, by the way - your way of writing is amazing and I love to read about your new life in NYC!

    Roselee, thank you, it was pretty great! Thanks for reading the blog, I'm so glad to finally write in English so you're able to!

    futuristka, here in Sweden it's a common delicacy and you can buy it at almost any café, though they usually put eggs and tomatoes and cucumber and such on the more "professional" sandwiches. But I just go straight to the good stuff: shrimps, check, mayo, check, I'm ready to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara och Lisa, first of all, thank you soooo much for all of your kind words! They really do mean more than you can imagine. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Second of all, I've checked out your blog before and did it again now, and I couldn't help but think of the fact that I don't know if you're Sara or Lisa. ;) Either way, the blog is beautiful and I will absolutely be a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm totally with you! breakfast was one of the things i missed the most of not being at home for so long. there's no place like home. and nothing better than your own selfmade breakfast. and yours looks so tasty!
    really funny because the thing i missed the most was my little cat. we're similare at this things!
    i hope you can enjoy being at home again and i hope you won't miss your boy too much :)
    i can't wait to see new outfit posts in your beautiful garden, annika!

    so much love, nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Annika. I´ve been following you since 2006 or early 2007 , beautifulones.blogg.se to Aftonbladet and now this blog...and it is amazing.
    You are amazing!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE shrimps and mayo! When I was a child we spent most of the holidays in Norway and we ate shrimps-mayo-sandwiches every morning and evening ;) And not to forget about salmon-sandwiches! There's nothing better than fresh shrimps. You can't compare them with those packed up shrimps you can buy here in german supermarkets. They taste like...uuuhm...nothing. They don't even have any taste :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you eat a huge breakfast, which is good, but how do you manage to stay thin ? Haha. Or maybe you dont have lunch ?
    If I wasn't a vegetarian I would say "I will try this breakfast" because I like trying new things... But sadly I can't :/

    xx



    xx



    www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm apricot and Brie is one of my favorite combos! It's so interesting to see how other countries do breakfast. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back home! That looks like an really great breakfast to have. Especially the shrimp sandwich looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just found your blog and wanted to say hello as I'm now your newest follower! Always nice to meet a fellow cat lady :) Excited to catch up on everything I've missed here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous looking breakfast, just looking at it is making me hungry.

    Carmen Ri.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GOD, I am so enjoying your posts, girl !!
    Coffee + Annika = a brilliant morning

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything except the shrimps looks delicious....not too sure about the shrimps and mayo, not really my style ;)

    -Laura x
    http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm completely with you about American breakfast. I'm American, but I can't stand to eat the standard fare. I think my stomach would explain from all the eggs and meat (and let's not forget portion size...holy moly!) I do think a little part of me dies inside when I have to explain to waitresses about what "Eggs Benedict" is.

    I'm intrigued by your breakfast 'sandwiches! I wouldn't normally think of shrimp for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good! I'm going to go out and buy some Brie cheese now and apricot jam. How did you make it? Is the cheese melted? What kind of bread is that and is it toasted? Sorry for the questions, it looks really yummy! I want to make sure I'm trying it the proper way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your brie sandwich looks delicious!! Brie is the best ever! I just might have to make that for breakfast one of these mornings!
    lovelove
    http://projectadoration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. ANNIKA, is not fair !!!!
    I am keep returning to this post, lusting and staring at the pictures !!

    I have never had shrimps and mayo but...NOW I HAVE TO TRY IT.

    Have a brilliant Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my god, that looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm impressed! How do you have time to make a breakfast like that every day? It's also huge. Im there with my bowl of weetos finished in 10 mins to maximise on sleeping time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ååå! Svensk frukost! Riktigt bröd!

    ReplyDelete