Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mounting the Everest or Ready for a Fall.


When I woke up this morning, summer had decided to take a break and instead make room for a whiff of fall. Which I completely didn't mind - it gave me an excellent reason to try out my Jeffrey Campbell Everests! Let me tell you, these will without a doubt become the foundation of my fall wardrobe.

I honestly feel sorry for everyone living in a climate that doesn't include a real fall season. It's by far my favorite out of the four. I love it when the air starts getting crisp and chilly, I love the changing colors of the leaves, and oh, I so love the clothes! No other season comes close to the fall wardrobe - honestly, it's the one time of year that I thoroughly enjoy fashion, and might even buy a fashion magazine or... five.

But I think what I adore more than anything about the last few months before winter arrives is that we all know they're fleeting. Winter, for me, is all about enduring the torture of the cold and darkness, summer is simply too lazy and dull (plus usually warmer than I prefer, yeah, I'm annoyingly hard to please when it comes to temperature). And then we have spring, my second favorite season, well... spring is a little bit like being stuck in a waiting room, queue ticket in hand. All the signs that it's soon going to be our turn - in this particular metaphor "our turn" would be the arrival of summer - are of course properly aaaaaaw:ed and ooooooh:ed, but they're still just indications of what's to come, distractions while we're waiting for the "real treat". It's just not fair! The flowers and the melting snow are such fantastic wonders, but I don't feel like they're enjoyed the way they deserve to be. Not by others, and not by me. Every year when springtime comes, I forget that I'm actually not at all crazy about summer, and waste these breathtakingly magical months leading up to June holding out for what I incorrectly believe is something better down the line.

I think the British word autumn is amazingly beautiful, though I still prefer fall. Because that's exactly what it is. As summer releases its grip, we're suddenly in a free fall, plummeting against months and months of freezing darkness. We're surrounded by these incredibly vivid shades of red and yellow, and we know that any day the leaves are going to turn brown and crumble under the thick soles of our boots. Therefore, we savor each moment of beauty, we appreciate every last trace of summer, we finally start to relish the small things: that we don't yet need to wear gloves or change the tires of our cars, that our lungs don't hurt from the cold when we take a deep breath, that the sun has not yet set as we leave from school or work. That we still might have a few more heartbeats left within our chests.


31 comments:

  1. Great shoes!
    xoxo.

    http://respectmystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn all the way!

    http://kittyonadumpster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing is just amazing!! I especially love the ending of the last paragraph.
    -P.
    Bowtie Diary

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that was beautiful. your writing style is soo enjoyable. but this time it is truly just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. åh gud så fint skrivet. nu dog jag lite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little Ode to Fall, especially since you are so right about it. I have never really thought about it, but fall truly makes us apprechiate the small things. Which, in Germany, often means a day when it does not rain, or maybe only once, and one of the last time the sun visits and actually still has some warming power in its rays...

    http://metaphoricalblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never really fell for the Lolita's, until I saw them in pink. And, this is truly a love at first sight with these Everests...OMG. SUCH a beautiful color.

    beautiful.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, this post is beautiful, I love autumn (yes, I am English) too, everything about it is wonderful. I love these shoes. Amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Så vackert, sista stycket. Precis så är det. /Emilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible shoes! Really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful words. I wish I lived somewhere where fall was more...elaborate, because I love hearing about it and seeing it. Maybe when I go to college? Until then, I guess I'll just be thankful I can still wear shorts in October. XD

    Also, I love those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love your writing. My heart was jumping and I realised myself nodding. And you're only talking about the weather! :D
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vackert skrivet, som vanligt. Jag älskar också hösten, fast jag har nog den där förmågan att alltid längta till nästa årstid. Rastlös...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow your blog is more than unbelieable!is amazing
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  15. hilarious that you just posted this because i literally made my facebook status "i want fall NOW" yesterday haha. i can't wait to walk around outside in a chunky sweater and comfy boots and breath in the fresh crisp air. and FOOTBALL season is coming up. best thing ever when living in a college town in the midwest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. in my country, we only have 2 season; rainy season and summer. HAHA

    love your shoes btw.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That color is amazing! I want!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally agree, fall is a beautiful season, especially when it comes to fashion. Amazing shoes. xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so agree with you. I have always loved fall the most. I love the weather and the colours, but also how it for me signifies a new start. Summer is nice enough, but it holds too many expectations and I'm no good with heat either.

    Winter bothers me more and more as I get older, but even so, each season has its own flavour and I couldn't imagine living somewhere without this cycle that reflects and affects my life so much.

    Love the shoes, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not to sound like a complete stalker, but I'm seriously starting to think it might be worth my while to fly over, hunt you down and steal all your shoes while your sleeping...I like the sound of that plan.

    -Laura xox
    http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    PS I came to sooo close to buying the Everests in black, but then decided I could use the money for more important things like food...

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! LOOVE YOUR EVERESTS!! :D
    Love the socks as well. :D
    Fall is my 2nd fav season ♥, and yes the fashion is at it's best in the fall season.
    Awww, I looooove summer, I just love feeling warmth on my skin, I really, can't stand to feel cold....grrr >.<
    Plus the sun and the warmth just makes me really happy. I am the happiest over the summer than all the other seasons.
    :)
    -Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  22. these shoes are so beautiful! I havent seen them before. I love them and I want them right now! Do you remember their price?


    with love,
    I have big GIVEAWAY -your participation in it is very important for me!http://chocarome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're such a beautiful writer. Summer has taken a break her as well, and even though I like fall, north of Sweden gets enough of both fall and winter, and I need more summer. Right now I just want that last summerday, cause it has to be impossible that it has already been. Xoxo/Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. So beautifully written, but I have to say that fall is my least favorite season. For me, spring is the most beautiful thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. you're very lucky to live somewhere with seasons. i live in a sub-tropical climate, it's always hot and sunny.. very annoying! id much prefer four distinct seasons, you appreciate them all much more that way.

    beautiful blog by the way. my new favourite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ville bara säga att du är den vackraste människan jag vet. I hela världen!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vad vackert skrivet Annika! Vad kul att det är så många engelska kommentarer. Hoppas det fortfarande är ok att kommentera på svenska bara.

    Och just det, dina skor, dom är värda både Ahhhhhh och Oooooh!

    ReplyDelete
  28. HAHA. Jag kommenterade just inlägget the D-word, men jag känner igen mig precis lika mycket här. Det är fantastiskt hur glömsk man blir på våren. Sommaren verkar plötsligt fantastiskt :D

    ReplyDelete