Friday, September 16, 2011

I know I felt like this before, but now I’m feeling it even more.

Red Union Jack knitted sweater, Romwe. Navy blazer, black pants and bowler hat, Monki. White patent leather boots, Doc Martens. Lipstick, "British Red" by L'Oréal.

(Photos by me.)

It seems that every time I put on an outfit, I subconsciously decide that there's a specific pose that goes with it. Last time, it was this one; now we have a new outfit and obviously a new, ehmmm, "pose of the day":


I have no idea I'm doing the same poses until I look through the photos in the computer, and though I've made a zillion different ones, the pose of the day-photos are always the ones that look the best. Weird.

Don't know how much there is to say about this outfit, except that I adore this sweater from Romwe. Warm, cozy knitted sweaters and cardigans definitely are the most important pieces in my wardrobe these chilly seasons, especially since I'm not a huge fan of heavy winter jackets - and the bolder the prints, the better! It's so easy for me to fall into the whole black-and-grey-from-head-to-toe rut, and I'm grateful for every pop of color I can fit into my outfits.

Last night, I felt possibly even more down than usual and didn't really feel like doing anything at all. But Ronnie insisted we should drive into town and go see a movie, and since we won't see eachother for a few days - he's now at a literary festival in Norway - I agreed. And I'm so glad I did! We ended up seeing not one movie but two, having greasy hamburgers for dinner in between, and I had such a wonderful time. It made me realize we should absolutely go on dates more often! It's probably even more important right now, when I'm not in the best place, to say the least. Leaving the house seems like such a hassle, so it was great to be reminded that if I force myself to get out there and do stuff, it doesn't have to be that bad. Or bad at all.

At the moment I'm pretty stressed out, with loads of things to get done and simply not enough time. But I try to tell myself that come on, I've been in this situation countless times before, and I've always managed to get it together in the end. (And I do my best not to remember the fact that no, it's not true, there have been times when I've pushed myself too hard for too long and been this close to ruining everything.)

In my dreams last night, someone gave me a horse. My own horse! Coincidentally, we happened to have a stable here in our yard - how neat is that? Gosh, I was so excited about this horse, you have no idea.

Then, the dream shifted, turned into something completely different. Weeks passed by in this dream, maybe months; the details are not important, but suddenly, right before I woke up, I realized it wasn't another dream at all. It had been the same one all along. And that beautiful chestnut horse had been left alone, no food or water, for ages.

Someone gave me my first own horse and I neglected it. I forgot about it and I killed it. I'm the Horse Slayer for cryin' out loud!

I can't even tell you how many times I've had dreams similar to this one. (If it's not a horse, it's a baby. Let's just say the baby dreams are a lot worse.) You don't exactly have to be a psychologist or professional dream-reader to figure out what it means. Basically, I take on more than I can handle, and I'm terrified I'm going to lose control. Destroy everything. That it will all crumble around me like a poorly built house of cards.

Well, there's only one thing to do: keep making lists, keep crossing things off those lists. One by one.

And, oh - if any of you remember giving me a horse, please remind me, okay? I have a tendency to forget these things. Apparently.













PS. This is the last time I'll beg for you to vote for me in the 2011 Blog Awards - tomorrow the results will be in! Since one of my competitors have about ten times as many readers as I do, I'm very busy practicing my "slightly disappointed but still dignified" smile. Though I can't say I wouldn't absolutely love if I didn't have to use it! :) DS.

22 comments:

  1. I love you sweater and the whole colour palette, not to mention that your hat is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had strength to leave the house and enjoy things + yourself. As you said, once you do step outside, life isn't so bad after all, but it takes courage to stay in the light... :) /emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. That union jack sweater is so adorable. Love the rich red and blue hues on you, too. Have a lovely weekend, girl!

    ♥, Jamie
    www.TheFancyTeacup.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your sweater and shoes!!!:)
    http://kateonskate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we all push ourselves a bit (the number of times I've told myself I'll never let an assignment to the night before again ... I'm two months away from finishing high school and let me say it now, I know it's going to happen again). but you are stronger than you know. believe me there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My to do list for this weekend is super overwhelming, but thank you for reminding me that I'm not the only one, and, more importantly, that it can be done. I just need to start one by one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your sweater and doc haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute look !!




    xx




    www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have voted now, I really do hope you'll win! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cool sweater ;)
    beautiful outfit :)
    if you want, check my blog

    truecolorsoffme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your outfit!
    The sweater is gorgeus, amazing...i can't find the right word to describe it!
    Amazing blog!

    http://foreverfashion-2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit! Love your top, your hat and your jacket! xxx

    free-style-fs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that it is posts like this that I value so much as one of your followers/readers. You write with such directness, such immediate honesty. You are not afraid to share your vulnerability - and there is something so hopeful about your fearlessness in sharing these thoughts. One of the mantras that my family lives by is 'a day at a time'. My understanding of this is that there is only today - I only have to respond to what is in this day, this moment. Or, as you say, "...cross things off the list. One by one."
    I can't wait to read your first novel. Perhaps it too will be a metaphorical horse, except that (unlike your dream) you will nurture and then gallop freely with it.
    You are amazing Annika, and I really hope you believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!You don't look like 28!I love this outfit,I love the sweater!xx Tanja
    http://neverdreamedaboutthis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I´ve taken a look through your blog and it´s amazing!!Really like your style and your cats are so adorable!!
    Nice to meet you!! I´ll come back soon!!;)
    xoxo
    MY LITTLE SUEDE SHOES

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahah that's the funniest dream. I aaalways have the weirdest dreams, especially when i sleep with my boyfriend. I think it has something to do with feeling constricted in our tiny bed. I got a union jack scarf from the fine people at TopShop on the streets of Chicago once and when I wore it at Lollapalooza the first time people were giving me shit for it cuz I'm American! I was like whaaa!? Fashion is fashion, duh. I pretended to be British though and they felt stupid...hehehe

    Check out my blog: JesWithATwist.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This outfit is adorable! I love those Doc Marten Boots! I've been wanting some for a while now, but I'm not sure if they'd fit my style so well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha--I feel like I do the "pose of the day" thing a lot too! A certain pose just seems to fit a certain outfit. Love the white Dr Martens with the black/red/blue of the rest of the look!

    http://fieryfinish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete