Saturday, September 24, 2011

Well-behaved women rarely make history.

Cropped white t-shirt, "Well-behaved women rarely make history", Avanna. Black sequin pants, H&M. Burgundy beret, Åhléns. Black and white studded brogues, Nelly.com.

(Photos by me.)

I feel like there has been an awful lot of writing and not that many actual outfit posts on this blog lately. To be honest, that's more a fact than a feeling. The explanation is quite simple: I haven't been feeling so great. And I'd never, ever force myself to put on an outfit and take photos just for the sake of it - if I'm not in the mood, and feel like walking around in the same knitted sweater and chinos for five days straight, that has to be okay, too. Blog or no blog. (This spectacular five day outfit was captured in photos when my darling friend Anna was here - careful, I might show it to you!)

Another thing that makes outfit photos less likely when I'm sad, worried and stressed out is that my complexion seems weirdly connected to my well-being. Simply put: when my life sucks, my skin sucks. As soon as I start feeling really low, my face breaks out in something in between zits and flesh wounds. My face hurts constantly and the minute one sore starts to heal, I get ten more. Except for the constant throbbing pain in my skin, it's allright - I don't mind looking like I have the chicken pox, and my boyfriend claims he doesn't even notice it - but outfit photos, that's another thing. Call me superficial, but this condition isn't really something I'm excited to photograph and flaunt online.

But these last few days, I've done my very best to relaxe and be kind to myself, and the different is quite remarkable - inside and out. I do feel a lot better, and I even managed to drag out the old camera and tripod! The result, you can see above: the weirdest and most awesome pants I own, my favorite brogues and a cropped Avanna t-shirt with a message that we all need to be reminded of from time to time.

"Well-behaved women rarely make history". More often than not, I wish I was a lot less concerned with being, well, well-behaved. Not that manners are not important - but I do spend an awful lot of time an energy trying to behave and act the way people expect me to, instead of doing what I really want.

Though I think I'm getting gradually better at respecting my own true feelings and wishes, realizing that in the end, I'm the one who has to live with my choices and decisions. I might not ever come close to making any sort of history, but I am getting closer to creating the kind of life I wish to live.




18 comments:

  1. on the staff bathroom door, they had that quote, at the elementary school, where i once worked. you + that hat= fantastic fall annika! your whole post is full of depth & wisdom. the last 2 paragraphs are perfectly described.

    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shoes are awesome!




    http://glassmoonlight1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the brogues!

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous shoes!
    You,re beautiful, as always! <3

    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful post! Accompanied by beautiful photos! Love the pants and the burgundy beret!!

    x Aliya
    P.S. Just to let you know my giveaway is up and running:
    Win the Vintage Dress of Your Choice! (open to everyone)
    http://papermoonsandmacarons.blogspot.com/2011/09/giveaway-in-springtime.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Annika! I feel så proud seeing you wearing my design. Lovely pictures. And I think that you have made history, you are impressive, creative, smart and I admire you.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your looks! They inspire us so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jag vill också passa i sådana däringa mössor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it love it love it loveeee it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, I especially liked that last paragraph. And your black sequin pants are so pretty :)

    Joyce

    http://joyfuloutfits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That t-shirt is pure awesomeness! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful, inspiring post. Thank you my dear, and you look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing outfit, really looks gorgeous on you! You got great style!! :)
    xx from Munich

    http://followthepinkfox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog. You seem so wise, but not in a condescending way. And you're more eloquent in English than I am, and it's my first language! Major envy.

    Also love your t-shirt. The printing and the font are lovely, and the quote is brilliant. May have to order myself one of those.

    ReplyDelete