Monday, September 19, 2011

The Answers, Part 2: Going Places.

Let's continue with the answers from the Q&A-session! (Part 1 can be found here.)

Barbados bikini girl!
Part 2
To travel or not to travel




What is your favourite city/country in the world (outside of Sweden)?
(Asked by rehane)

I absolutely adore Berlin, especially Kreuzberg where Ronnie and I lived for a while (we still have an apartment there, that we share with a group of other writers). Other cities that have given me that peculiar feeling of belonging are Rome and New York, though I think I've been to those places for too short of a time to truly know what it would be like to live there. Haha, I know that's not what you asked, but I just love to get a sense of home when I visit a city!


I wanted to ask which countries, cities or places you want to visit the most? And would you maybe someday want to visit Lithuania? :)
(Asked by Ieva Jankauskaitė)

In Shanghai, I lived for a couple of months with a really sweet and beautiful girl who came from a small village outside of Vilnius. She introduced me to a group of lovely people from Lithuania and Latvia, and I would absolutely love to go there one day!

To be completely honest, though, I'm not the biggest fan of traveling. I know it sounds terrible, and of course I adore visiting new places and learning about different cultures and lifestyles, but I get extremely stressed out from the whole experience of, well, going somewhere. And when I get stressed, my body reacts instantly - which means that every single time I go anywhere, I get sick. Trust me - these last couple of years, I've been really sick (almost unable to get out of bed) in Paris, Berlin, Thailand, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, Barcelona, Barbados and probably some more places that I was too sick to even remember visiting (haha). Gosh, I even get sick while travling to other places in Sweden.

But it's a lot worse the farther I go: I'm scared to death of flying, I get awful jetlag complications even when the time difference is only a few hours, and I can't stop thinking about all the things that could go wrong at home ("what if someone breaks into our house? What if we have a water leak again and the whole house is ruined when we come back? What if there's a fire? Maybe I forgot to pay one of our bills, or the cats get sick and the people who are watching them don't take them to the vet and then die! What am I doing here?!").

In other words, I do travel a lot and I love parts of it, but it's also somewhat wasted on me. Luckily I've learned how to appreciate cities even when sick, but still... I'm so tired of people asking me "How was *insert any cool travel destination here*?!", and having to answer "it was great, though, well, I was mostly in bed (and not for any of the fun reasons)".

One happy Annika in Rome.

Sorry about the rant, I'll get back to the question now! I would really, really love to go to Italy again. Ronnie and I visited Rome our first summer together, and it was one of my most amazing experiences ever - I wasn't even sick! (No rules without exceptions, you know.) So I'm very excited to see more parts of the country. Venice would be incredible, and Ronnie and I are thinking of going to either Sicily or Sardinia early next year to celebrate our four years together.

Cousin weirdness in Seattle.


What's your favourite travel destination? 
Asked by Bella Stephens)

I was in Seattle for only a couple of days back in April, and I want to go back there so bad! My dear cousins and my aunt live in the area, and it would be wonderful to get to spend more time with them. I didn't have time to see nearly as much of the city as I would have liked to, obviously (and yes, I was terribly sick while I was there), but from what I saw it's such an incredible place. It's sort of like a mix between Stockholm and New York, and so full of cultural happenings and awesome places to eat!

(Oh, and I thought New York was quite spectacular.)



What do you like about Berlin? Or, what do you not like about Berlin or Germans?
(Asked by Nastassja)

Haha, there's nothing I don't like about Berlin! And I'm sure there are idiots in Germany just like in every other country on this planet, but luckily I haven't met many of them.


Berlin is one of my favorite cities in the world, for sure. We mostly hang out in Kreuzberg - Ronnie and I used to live on Wrangelstrasse, close to Schlesisches Tor, and now we share an apartment with some friends on Eisenbahnstrasse, near Lausitzer Platz/Görlitzer Park. Of course I've been to lots of different areas, but I don't feel like any of them can live up to Kreuzberg! My second favorite part is Prenzlauer Berg.

What I love about Kreuzberg is that it's so cheap to eat and drink, I love all the cafés, bars and restaurants, and most of all the friendly and laid-back atmosphere. I never feel better about the way I look than when I'm there - not because people don't look good, gosh no, but because I don't feel like you're judged on your appearance nearly as much as I'm used to. People seem so comfortable with themselves, there are cute dogs everywhere and something fun is always happening on every block - an art exhibition, a band playing, a movie showing, whatever.




I'm from Estonia and I'm interested in knowing what neighboring countries you've visited?
(Asked by Liisi)

Well, I've been to Tallinn a few times, and I think it's a really interesting city! And of course I've been to Finland and Denmark, but Estonia is the only Eastern European country I've visited. I'd like to change that in the future. (I was in Romania and Bulgaria with my mom when I was a kid, but that was, like, twenty-three years ago... so I don't remember that much.)



Which countries have you been to and where would you really, really like to go?
(Asked by Piia)

I travelled a lot with my mom when I was little, so I can honestly say that I don't know what countries I've been to (again, my memory from back than isn't the most accurate!). To name a few: Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Norway, England, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Czech Republic, USA, Mexico, Barbados, Thailand, China, France, Romania, Bulgaria, Germany and Morocco.

I would really love to go to San Francisco! I have a feeling I would fall head over heels in love with that city.


19 comments:

  1. I really love all the pictures from the diferent places! And you made me want to go back to Berlin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thank you so much for your answer. i love the pictures. i like kreuzberg too, it's beautiful. my sister and some other people in my family and some of my freinds live in berlin - mitte, it's in the middle near to alexanderplatz. "hackesche höfe" or "rosenthaler platz" i LOVE this area in berlin. it's my absolutely favourite area there. :) there are so many small beautiful botiques and cafes :) and the look on the "Spree" on "friedrichsstraße" and the beachcafe there "strandcafe Mitte" is absolutely lovely. nice you love that city, just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read, as always. You sure have travelled a lot, especially for someone who doesn't really like it :) I think that's really brave of you. I love travelling too, bit I get terrible nervous and scared months before my departure. It sucks. Btw, I've always wondered about Berlin.. while reading your other blog I always tried to figure out when you were there, for how long, and why, but I never seemed to fully grasp it, haha. I know the question-part is over, but if you feel like it, I would love to know more. When did you move there and for how long? Why Berlin? And, (if I understood it right, Berlin feels like home to you?) how do you deal with feeling at home at two (or more) places? I have two homes, and I wanna go back all the time, but I'm scared it's for the wrong reasons (such as wanting to re-live the past, and maybe I do, but I also just want to be there) but I can't seem to let it go. Sorry for ranting, haha. Xoxo/Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading all your sincere and open post. I can relate to you a bit, I get worried when I travel, I just don't end up sick when I get to the new place but I have bad feelings the days before travelling. I got very sick only once, in Paris and it was nightmare ! I am in Italy, so maybe when you'll come to Rome (I don't live there but I can get to it) who knows, maybe we'll meet up, haha ! Many kisses and you're really beautiful xxx

    Fashion and Cookies

    My Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely terrified of travelling (first time I went overseas, I was 12 and managed to throw up nearly every meal and lose about 10kg ~22lbs. but I do want to travel, and I'm so jealous of the things you've done, and seen. I'm going to get out of Australia someday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hej! Du har helt fantastiska bilder, önskar jag vore lika bra fotograf :) Får jag ge ett litet tips? Jag var nyligen iväg på semester och läste då din blogg på min ipad och på ett långsamt trådlöst nätverk och då tog det flera minuter för din blogg att ladda (visserligen värt väntan men ja, lite trist att vänta :)). Det kan kanske vara värt att ha några färre poster på första sidan för snabbare laddning? Bara ett litet önskemål :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! you've been to so many places, annika. traveling is stressful. for me it's that whole fear of the unknown thing. it seems like the more places i go, the more i realize there is so much more to see. i bet everyone feels the same. i do love san francisco. if i could afford to live there, i would.

    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/
    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, Annika, I swear we are kindred spirits! We're both tall and we get so stressed when traveling that we get sick! I hate it so much. Ah, I still love to travel, I must learn to not make myself sick!

    Kaylee
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEY CAN I ASK U ANOTHER QUESTION?
    im from india................so have u ever visited india? do u want to?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of Photoshop app do you have on your MacBook? Is it Adobe?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's a lot of traveling. U still need to come to Colombia. We have the best landscapes in the world ;) I recommend Cartagena http://youtu.be/Wv7qsNzIRZQ or Medellin http://youtu.be/WSoJX1LUSFA , lovely places :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Sardinia is a perfect place to celebrate your anniversary! I was there about a month ago and I was absolutely impressed by the breath-taking landscapes, incredibely nice and helpful people and all of the atmosphere, food and much more!

    I've been to many parts of Italy earlier (including Sicily) but Sardinia is on the top of my favourite places now. I recommend you visiting Calgiari - the capital of the island - it's stunning, especially the historical part of the city and the lakes with hundreds of pink flamingos.

    And it's also worth to visit Corsica, by the way. I was absolutely fascinated by both of these islands ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What do you mean by getting sick? Like physically, or is it psychological, related to your depressession issues? I love travelling, but sometimes when I finally reach my dream and get to go I find myself wasting all the opportunities. Being too tired to go out in the evening, wanting to just sleep even when there is so much to see. Eating take away pizza. It's sick! Then I come back home and regret how much stuff I missed.

    When were you in Finland? Greetings from here :)

    You're lovely,

    iina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonym, hur länge sedan var det du var på din semester? För jag ändrade antalet inlägg på förstasidan för några veckor sedan, just för att undvika långsam laddning (surfar väldigt mycket från mobilen och hade samma upplevelse!). Hoppas på att det ska funka mycket bättre nu, tack!

    sewang, I've never been to India but I would love to go there on a yoga retreat some time in the future! I'm just scared I'm going to get soooooooo sick since your food is so different from ours up North (though I love Indian food!).

    Anonymous, isn't Photoshop always Adobe...? I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended version 10.0.

    burbuja677, my boyfriend's brother's girlfriend Diana is from Colombia and I hope Ronnie and I will get to visit her home town someday!

    Agnès, thank you for sharing! Now I wish even more to go to Sardinia next year!

    Anonymous, I've been in Helsinki a few times, the last time was about five years ago. I think Helsinki is a lot like Stockholm but actually a bit cooler and more laid-back, not as stuck up.

    My body and my mind are extremely connected, as soon as I get stressed I get very, very pyshically ill. When I travel I usually either get the flu - high fever, severe headaches and I throw up for days - or I get pneumonia, start coughing up blood and think I'm going to die. Fun, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, that's horrible! My 'travel sickness' is not justified at all anymore. Maybe yoga could help you control the stress? I'm going to try it myself. All the best to you.

    -iina

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should visit Singapore! :D it has one of the most coolest retail therapy ever.:) and I bet your illnesses will be well taken care of in singpore!:) haha there is a clinic in every 1km or so!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Next time you come to Seattle my dear and you have a few minutes to spare let me know and I'd love to meet up for coffee!! (As I'm sure all your other devoted followers would, haha)

    ReplyDelete