Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Loser in Love.

Photo by our lovely new friend Johan Hermansson

On Saturday, I went into Stockholm to attend the annual Blog Awards, prepared to lose.

And I did. Of course. It's not rocket science - I have a tiny blog and noone has a clue who I am, which means that they don't vote for me. But that doesn't make losing any less annoying. Nope.

To make up for the fact that I'm a loooooooooooser, I made sure to have a really, really good time! Amanda and I probably had more fun than everyone else at the party combined, we met terrific people and danced until our feet were so sore and full of blisters we couldn't stand up for another second. (Okay, mine were. Amanda apprently has magic feet and can run around in litas all night without complaining once.)

The dress code was "gala", so I put on a dress that made me feel like I was on my way to one of the Gossip Girl masquerade balls!

Asymmetrical black maxi dress, Love (inlovewithfashion.com). Black belt, Gina Tricot. Black Everest platform boots, Jeffrey Campbell. Lipstick: "Red Revolution" by Maybelline.

(Photos by my sister Amanda.)

Ah, this dress! I will definitely take better photos of it some time when I'm not late for an award show, because the pure awesomeness of it gets a little bit lost in these. I got it from the brand Love and it's one of the most classy yet interesting dresses I've ever owned.

I don't think the photographers at the Blog Awards agreed, though: Amanda and I were the only people who weren't asked to do the (supposedly) mandatory "red carpet" shoot. Since that's one of my least favorite situations ever, I was more than grateful - but it was a weird feeling to realize what a complete nobody I am to these people.

Do I usually consider myself a "somebody"? I do, the way every person should. I do feel like a person who is loved and appreciated for who she is, and I live my life being as caring and decent as I can manage. That should be enough to be a somebody, don't you think?

It's actually quite funny how much my life differs from the sort of lifestyle we got a taste of this Saturday. I work, I take walks, I spend time with Ronnie and the cats, I fix stuff around the house and garden; I do not worry about if my legs look pale or if I'm on the list or if people "know who I am". Events like this one bring back those kinds of thoughts, and I'm not the slightest bit interested in regressing to my awkward, self-conscious teens and early twenties. God, that version of me pretty much sucked. You would not have liked her.


My gorgeous sister Amanda wore a dress from H&M and her JC litas. When I arrived to her (parents) house, the first thing she said was "I'm thinking of cutting off the bottom layer of the skirt to make it sheer, the winner of Project Runway wore a dress like that, do you think I should?".

"Sure", I said, "but please don't cut unintended holes in it five minutes before we're supposed to leave."

As you can see, she didn't, and I really like the see-through result! I love experimenting with clothes and scissors as well, but I usually end up throwing everything away after cutting the poor items into tiny pieces - let's put it like this: you'll never, ever, ever see me on Project Runway.

(Yes, we did want to match eachother. Come on, matching is fun fun fun fun!)


Before entering the club where the after party was held, Amanda and I were actually asked to be in the photos. Only because we happened to arrive with the absolutely fabulous Filippa Berg and Parisa Amiri, but still. We're cool by association! Woohoo! (Photos by Stureplan.se.)

Now I'm off to my second appointment with my new psychologist. Last time we got through not even half of the basic key points of my life story; hopefully we'll get a little bit closer to my current lack of well-being this time. I'm trying not to be too impatient, to really give her a chance to help me. It's just hard.

Hope you're week is splendid so far and that you're much less stressed out than I am. And thank you so much to everyone who voted for me in the Blog Awards - I probably was the runner up, right? ;) Let's pretend!




48 comments:

  1. You are an absolute vision in that LOVE dress! It completely stole my heart. What a beauty. You're a winner to me, your loveliness and personality, attention to writing, and being real is what sets you apart from the others. I definitely think you were runner-up :)

    ♥, Jamie
    www.TheFancyTeacup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two looked amazing! The cut of your dress is fabulous and well, Amanda just had the greatest idea of what to do with a drees :)
    You'll probably win next year, or the one after that. If you keep your blog going, I'm sure that you'll become a true somebody one day.
    -P.
    Bowtie Diary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jag röstade på dig! Och att du lyckades med konsten att ha en trevlig kväll trots att du inte vann, det är en större seger än ett blog-awards-pris tycker jag! Jäklar vilken snygg klänning du hade också.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that dress is STUNNING! With that dress, and this blog, you are my winner darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matching sure is fun and both of you look great!

    I've been thinking of starting a writers circle in Sthlm. Nothing fancy, eating cake, drinking wine, talking about writing and just having other actual writers to run things by. It might be something you'd like to be part of?Think about it?

    And yes, I do ♥ your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it sounds "sex-and-the-city-ish", but you both look absolutely fabulous. I'd definitely take a photo of you if I had a red carpet :) Maybe I will! :D
    Next time you'll win, but it was already a big achievement, that you got nominated I think. But next year's gonna be yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you didn't win, but I still really like your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You both look absolutely beaut, and that dress in wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Väldigt vacker du är i klänningen :) Vill inte verka näsvis, men efter att ha jobbat med en bunt psykologer och själv börjat gå i terapi måste jag ju bara påminna dig om att hennes jobb är att hjälpa dig att hjälpa dig själv, och då är det du som främst är tvungen att vara aktiv och hennes jobb att stå ut med dina känslor. Lider av depression jag med, och hoppas att det så småningom börjar se klarare ut för dig, Annika. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Du är jättebra, bry dig inte om det där priset, det är ju bara samma människor som får det varenda år! Däremot är det lite trist att du bloggar på engelska nuförtiden, men jag förstår att du når fler människor då! Stor kram!/Karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just wanted to say this to you but i dont know where else to put it.
    other bloggers look good, have a great style and seem like nice persons. but you really show your emotions and you're so funny and beautiful and real and tell a lot about yourself. i love the "about me" page. i listened to all the music! you're amazing, keep it up. and believe, one day you'll win that award or a literature price or something. YOU'RE AMAZING.

    and i looove your dress.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you can't be the winner, then you can always enjoy yourself. It is what I feel about my promovation as master of arts in about a month, I can always enjoy the glamour, even if I wish that I was head of my class, I have to congratulate the head of my class instead.

    You are both veryy handsome, those dresses suits you well and has a lot of personality. Showing your legs in front of the back side of the skirt feels daring, and Amandas transparent skirt ad to her couragous outlook :D Kisses to you both. You are Captivating!

    Speaking of dressing up handsomely, you the bikini girl on barbados. I still remember when you had resently taken that shot in your last blogg(my psuedonym was Navigaren by then). I have seen you in a similar but very different 50s style bikini by Johanna Vikmann among her photos. You are a beach sight for sore eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress is pure love! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think i'm in love with the dress you're wearing.

    my blog♥mfashionfreak

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girls, you both looked awesome!!! I'm loving both dresses!!;)

    Oh and don't even bother about thinking of the whole "vibe" at the gala and how it made you feel sort of left-out... feeling like you don't belong there is actually a good thing! That's because you've got PERSONALITY!!! I'm sure more than half of the attendants would actually KILL to be as brave, smart, honest and charming as you are (and that's just to name a few of the words that describe how great you are...)

    Lots of love from Barcelona,
    Nina

    PS: Keep us updated about your process with your psychologist please, we want to know how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Annika! You are simply the best! You look gorgeous in that awesome dress!
    Amanda looks also fantastic, I love what she,d done with her dress!

    Love,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh you were looking so fab! In my eyes you won. Congrats! :D
    xxx


    London Last Night

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl your rocking it! so flawless and fun fun!!
    loving what your doing here!!

    www.shervinsworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Annika, you are incredibly awesome! :) I love how down to earth you are! To me you are definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of you looked so beautiful! :) Who needs an award when you look that fabulous?/ :D
    Hopefully you'll win it next time around-- I know I sure voted for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You & your lovely sister look beautiful! I'm surprised they were so casual in acting that they didn't know who you are, they should, you're brilliant and have generally brilliant opinions. x hivenn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annika, to me you are somebody!!!
    I know this stupid red carpet feeling very well as I sometimes use to go on galas with my dad and I'm always treated like air. Nothing like in Gossip Girl where the Paparazzi would start to throw themselves on me screaming: Who's that beautiful princess??????!!!!! Gotta take 100 pictures of her!!! Who is she?" :D not that it would be my dream, either.. ;D
    I love the cut of your dress! Need one like that too. Your sis is way too gorgeous. :*

    Emilia R. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are definitely not a nobody! I absolutely love your blog and style, and that dress is gorgeous, I'm so jealous!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. You girls both look incredible !!!




    xx






    www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  25. dont be afraid if you loosing,you blog is very cool!!!!good luck,and have a good time in stockholm,your look is simply georgeous

    ReplyDelete
  26. At least you SHOULD be the runner up - you're so amazingly beautiful and stunning and awesome. Your sister is a real beauty as well! The weird (and pathetic) thing is, I've always dreamed to be a "somebody" - someone who is known and gets invited to those kind of events. But at the same time, I'm in my early twenties and I know I could never handle it. Never ever. It would be a vicious cycle of other peoples approval (even though that's basically already what my life is about, so...), but I can't help but wanting it anyway. Good luck at your therapist. I have my second appointment this week as well and have no idea how to bring clarity in my mess. Xoxo/Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that dress is absolutely gorgeous! And your sisters dress was very nice as well. Great idea to cut of the bottom layer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. YOU BOTH LOOK ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You girls both look so gorgeous!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This dress is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I'm glad you and your sister had a good time! And never fret, I'm sure that this awesome blog will win awards in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your Campbells are amazing! I really like you whole look.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your outfit in this post. simple, yet so classy! I now really want plain JC Litas :)

    Also, good luck with the psychologist. you're so strong, admitting you need help. just remember, you are braver than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  33. dangerous & beautiful, so glamorous, just can’t get away easily.. Your eyes make you look so enchanting, you've got such a pretty face! !Adore you specially!! Thanks for your inspiring updates that I've enjoyed so much........
    romwe-romwe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those dresses look gorgeous on both of you!I think they're very chique but at the same time a bit grungy.
    and good luck with the psychologist. It's probably a bit terrifying to spill it all out like that, but I have faith in you!
    Janice xx

    http://heartsandstripes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh god, you look amazing here. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You look absolutely gorgeus! Sweden's stuck up "blog scene" (I think you know who I mean) is a big joke here in Finland, so don't worry about them and just be fabulous and unique you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look AMAZING! If it helps I have no idea who those "fabulous" people were that you went to the after party with!

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Annika,
    just wanted to let you know that I voted for you and that you and your sister looked absolutely stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful dress!!!!!!!!!!! :) And your sister's too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. you both looked exquisite! who decides who is or isn't somebody or anybody? wish it all didn't matter. flush those insecurities away, or burn them into ash, then blow those ashes into the wind, as long as it's not blowing in the direction of your face.

    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. The high-low dress is just divine!! So glad you left a comment on my blog because now I've found yours! :D

    ReplyDelete
  42. That dress is fantastic on you! I actually have a similar one (long sleeve) but have yet to wear it since it's still hot over here. Can't wait to pair it with some ankle boots!


    Dirty Pink Cardigan


    :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love love love the dress!

    http://ieva-thecraze.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete