Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Answers, Part 3: Blogging.

Turns out answering your questions takes a lot more time than I expected - so I suppose it's a good thing it's a lot of fun!


Part 3
My blog, your blog, everybody's blogs!

Writing this post, I realized that the subject of blogging is a little bit hard to illustrate with photos. In the end, I decided to use the oldest outfit photos I could find, back from when I first started blogging about fashion and my style in 2006 and then the following two years. (Before that, I had a blog that only focused on indie music - no outfit posts there.) Hopefully you'll find that my outfit photography has gone through some slight improvements since then!


Can you give us some good tips for starting a blog?
(Asked by Valiera Meli and Chippie)

This is going to be a loooong answer... bear with me!

I believe the most important part is to decide what kind of blog you want, and what you wish to accomplish with it. Do you want to write about your everyday life, for your friends, family and relatives to read? Do you want a photography/art/writing/design blog to showcase your work to future employers, a personal style blog where you post looks once in a while - or do you hope to get billions of readers and make your blog your full-time job? (If you do get billions of readers, wow, I'll be seriously impressed!)

As boring as it may sound, it's necessary to be realistic: If you're a very busy person who has time to blog once or twice a week, it might be hard to reach a large audience. Basically, you will get results based on the kind of work and effort you're willing to put into it.


It always makes me sad to get e-mail and comments from bloggers who ask how I got "so many readers in so little time" (relatively speaking), telling me how they've been blogging for months or years and still haven't gained the kind of recognition they were hoping for. It's always hard to reply to these letters, because I really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings - but once again, realistic is the key word here. When I click onto these blogs, more often than not I find the same things: a messy layout, very few photos of the blogger herself or photos in poor quality, and posts that are either written in a language I don't understand or, if in English, extremely short: "this is what I wore today, I went out with my friends and had fun".

Note: None of this is wrong! Absolutely not. Every blog is as unique as the person who writes it and I love the fact that there are such an enormous variety of blogs out there. But, when it comes to personal style blogs - because there are so many for potential readers to choose from - I would say that there are four criterias that truly matter if you want a large, devoted group of readers:


* High quality outfit photos.
Let's be frank: the outfit photos are the foundation of a personal style blog. With better photos, you will get more readers. It's that simple. I often see bloggers making excuses for the poor quality: "sorry, I don't have a good camera/I don't have a place to take my photos, and there is noone I can ask to take them for me, so I have to shoot my outfits with my cellphone camera in the mirror". And this is all perfectly fine - gosh, all bloggers can't be expected to own a fancy camera and a tripod or have a photographer friend/parent/partner around all the time! - but unfortunately, that means that not as many people are going to follow their blogs. I will be honest: all the blogs I really like have immensely professional looking photographs.


When I first wanted to start sharing my style on my blog, back in 2006, I lived in a tiny one room apartment and had no idea how to use the Canon EOS 350 D I borrowed from a guy who worked at the university I went to. (It belonged to the school, he was in charge of it, and I told him I was doing a photo project for school. Liar liar pants on fire, I know - it was for a good cause, though! I truly wanted to learn about photography!) Except for inside the apartment or on the balcony, I had two options when it came to outfit photo locations: the shared storage area in the attic and the shared storage area in the basement. As I got bolder, I even started taking self-timer photos in the stairwell and elevator, making my neighbours think there was something seriously wrong with me...


In time, I saved up to buy my own camera, and I might not have been the most talented photography enthusiast - though I sure was persistent. And practice may not have made perfect yet, but five years later, I have far from given up on learning!


Anyway, back to the point: noone is a great photographer when they start out, and still: if you wish to have a successful style blog featuring your own outfits, you have to go for it. Put a decent camera as the only item on your wish list this Christmas (an early model of the Canon EOS series is not too expensive if you buy it used) and practice, practice, practice! Read every tutorial you can find, learn about lighting, framing and editing, try to copy the photos of your favorite bloggers until you find your own individual style.

Or - don't. Don't do any of this. But please don't be disappointed if not too many people start following your style blog.


* A clean, user-friendly layout.
If you think graphic design is the most boring thing ever and you can't seem to figure out how to use even the simplest template design program (like the one here on blogger) - just choose a basic, ready-made template and stick with it. Having a blog with an individual look is much less important than having a blog that's easy to navigate, where everything is where it should be, with a basic font on a light background. I have come across an insane amount of blogs where a purple or yellow comic sans is used on a pretty, blue flower print background and... well, put nicely: it makes the blog posts a bit hard to read (and triggers my migraines). Flowers and hearts and bunnies are cute but if you want people to come back to your blog, make sure the post background is as clean as possible.


* Continuity.
The best way to make people take the time to check your blog is if you take the time to update it. Often. How often? As often as you can without starting to feel like it's an obligation and not something you do because it's a fun, rewarding hobby. Many of my favorite blogs update once a day - that means they've quickly become a part of my daily internet routine, succeeding to turn me into a much more loyal follower than if they would have updated, say, once a week. Because of this, I try to post something every day - but not if I'm busy with other things. As long as I don't get money out of this blog, I have to treat it as a hobby, and post only when I have free time. When I don't blog every day, I obviously can't be surprised when I have a lot fewer visitors the days when I'm not active - as well as noone else should be if they don't blog daily.

* Engaging writing with a personal voice.
This doesn't mean that you can't be an amazing blogger if you're not a writer. But your readers want to get to know you. Your blog is unique because you are unique, and you need to show your readers who you are if you want a chance to stand out from every other blogger out there.

Of course you don't have to take a leaf out of my book and tell your readers about everything from bullying to depression - but how about sharing details from your everyday life? To me, when I read through a new blog, it's all about the specifics. Those bits of information that makes you you.

Example 1: "Today I woke up, had breakfast, went to school and then out with some friends. School was a disaster but my friends and I had a great time!"

Sorry, love, but this could have been written by anyone. Where are you in all of this?

Let's try it again - Example 2: "My alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, I snoozed six times and nearly missed the bus to school. Honestly, I almost wish I had - turned out we had a pop quiz in my French class first period, and I was still so tired I could hardly even spell my own name! Hopefully I did okay anyway (I'm praying all those times I've watched Amélie have paid off!), but gosh, I should start going to bed earlier. It just seems like all the best tv shows come on when most people have been asleep for hours..."

So, we're only on the first part of your day, and I still feel like I know you sooo much better.



And, while we're on writing, a few words about languages: If you're okay at writing in English, that's obviously a great way to reach way more readers than if you write in a language not very many people speak. But if you feel like what you could express in English is a lot closer to Example 1 than Example 2 above, and you don't have a strong desire to improve your skills, I suggest you stick to your mother tounge and just let people from other countries use google translate. The important thing is that you feel free and confident to write about whatever you wish!

To summarize: If you have a blog with a clean layout that is updated consistently, with outfit photos you put some effort into and writing that shows who you are and what makes you special, people will love it. Be realistic in your expectations: if you're not willing to put a lot of time or effort into your blog, don't be sad when you don't get that many readers. Blog because you enjoy it and there's no doubt that it will pay off!


Two more things: when you start your blog, of course you want people to discover it as soon as possible. If your blog is about your style, being an active user on Chictopia and Lookbook is a splendid way of letting people know you exist, as well as commenting on other people's blogs.
But: 1) A good idea is to make sure your blog already has some content when you start telling others about it, or chances are they might not come back.
2) Everyone knows commenting on blogs could be a way to get more readers, but your comments should be personal and not feel like spam if this is going to work at all. Show that you're interested in what the blogger has written in his or her post, or if you only comment an outfit, at least put some thought into it. I can tell you that a "Cool! Visit me on http://www.myblog.blogspot.com, follow me and I'll follow you back!" is not the best way way to make your blog successful. Really. It's not. Instead, follow the blogs you really like, tell the blogger why you like it, show genuine interest and then, yes, by all means - tell the blogger that you'd love it if she or he would like to check out your blog. I check out the blogs of everyone who comments here, but I want to do it because I'm interested, not because I'm told to. At least to me, the blogger community is about expressing yourself, making friends, being inspired by others and create meaningful relationships, not collecting followers just for the sake of it.

I hope this response wasn't too negative! Blogging should be fun, write about what you love, be yourself and don't worry if it takes a little bit of time for people to find you - they will!


If you have a large Swedish audience, do you think it would be wise to write in two languages or are you relying on the readers' English skills?
(Asked by Piia)

Actually, Swedish people are generally very good at both reading and speaking English - probably a combination of learning the language in school from an early age and the fact that we don't dub movies or tv-shows. Because of that, I don't think it's a problem. Writing each post in two languages would take me forever, so that is definitely not an option. I know some people would prefer it if I wrote in Swedish, but I love the fact that I am now able to communicate with people from all over the world!


How do you have the guts to spill your guts with us? I adore that you're so honest! 
(Asked by Emmakisstina) 

Thank you! Honestly, I don't even think about it. I've written online journals ever since the birth of internet communities (they all had a "diary" function), so for the past... 14 years, or so. I've always been kind of a lonely person, and writing about myself and my life on the internet has been my way of expressing myself, a sort of therapy, one might even say; as well as a way of making friends. And eventually, writing about my feelings, thoughts, opinions and experiences turned into my profession, so it definitely hasn't been for nothing! (As a columnist, not as a blogger, I might add.)

And the "honesty" part... I just don't see any point in not sharing my thoughts with other people. I can't see that I would feel better in any way by keeping it all inside, probably the opposite. I don't write anything that I wouldn't want my family, neighbours, employers or anyone else to read - the way I think and feel about things are no secrets.


Are you never afraid of revealing to much about yourself online? 
(Asked by Shirins)

Not at all. After all this time, it comes extremely naturally to me what to share and what not to. I don't mind one bit that complete strangers know intimate details about my life - if we all shared more about ourselves with others, I think the empathy in the world would be a lot more extensive! I could never have a blog where I pretended like everything was peachy all the time, then the blog would mean nothing to me and I wouldn't have any chance at all of reaching out to people who might be or have been in similar situations.



Do you have a "policy" about how much you include friends and family in your posts? 
(Asked by Sara)

Sure, a very simple one: I would never, ever, ever write sensitive things on the blog about anyone else. (Unless they want me to or approve it, of course.) If I want to write something about myself that involves another person, I'll either check if it's okay or just try to work around it. This is my blog and noone should have to feel like they're being exploited in any way.


Do you ever feel that your boyfriend isn't supportive or understanding enough with the whole blogging thing. I don't know why, but I sometimes have had that feeling... 
(Asked by Nina)

My boyfriend is absolutely supportive in the sense that he thinks it's great that I have a hobby I'm passionate about. When we were in New York, he did help out with the outfit photos from time to time (since I wasn't able to take my own like I'm used to), but I do think I believes it's a bit silly. He sometimes says that he can't understand why people would want to look at photos of the same person over and over again, and he's got zero interest in fashion, so I wouldn't say that he's my most devoted follower! No, but actually, I think he's a little bit too supportive - sometimes I think "oh, if only you knew how much time and energy I spend on this blog, maybe you wouldn't think it's such a good idea after all", haha!

...


You know what? This was just the first part of the blogging questions - but I felt the post would be ridiculously long if I didn't cut it in half. I mean, it already is. Imagine it being twice as massive!

(I also wrote about blogging in the post "About becoming a braver, more confident person - through fashion blogging.")

Now I'm off to have dinner with friends - my bus leaves in twenty minutes and I haven't even showered yet. Why do I always do this? Told you this blog takes up too much of my time! Luckily, you're all completely worth it.

34 comments:

  1. There are some great questions and answers here, thank you for them. While I started following your blog for your outfits now I look up to you for inspiration in many aspects.
    I hope you don't mind I ask this, but could you perhaps stop by my blog and tell me how to improve it? I am still finding my comfort zone and it's your typical teenager blog yet I'd love some advice.

    http://yerazelov.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Annika for all these incredibly helpful tips! I've been thinking about starting a blog lately and I was having trouble deciding whether to write in my own language or in English. Your post gave me a lot of perspective on the subject. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! AMAZNG. i love this!

    my blog♥mfashionfreak

    Please follow me if you're not already. I'd love to get more followers! I'll follow you back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very thoughtful and helpful post, especially for a new blogger like me!

    witchhare.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post Annika! I'm definitely bookmarking this one (as I'm hoping to restart my own blog). I'm very intrigued by your old outfit photos, it makes me want to see more them! :) (Sometimes half the fun of personal style blogs is seeing how the blogger evolved their sense of style over the life of the blog)

    Oh do I hear you on comments...I have(had?) a tiny little blog with maybe 20 followers, but I kept getting so many girls leaving generic comments of "oh, u so pretty!!! <3 Follow me PLEASE!" I endeavour to do my best to leave thoughtful comments (and if I have nothing substantial to say, than I don't post at all. How many times can one say "Wow! Great outfit!"?)

    If Canon ever decides to drop the price on the Canon T2i, it shall be mine! Then blog photography mayhem shall ensue. As always I look forward to your next post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when you talked about an empty blog seeing as when you linked to my blog it was empty! :D But I've started to fill it up now. It's a bit wordy since I'm honestly more of a writer than a photographer, but I try not to write really long and dragging posts. And I used to write over five times a day!

    Thanks for the advice and for answering my question, I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jag håller fortfarande på att vänja mig vid att ta del av dig på engelska. Det går bättre och bättre... Tycker fortfarande du är lika fantastisk i alla fall <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annika, thank you for your answeres here so much! Such helpful tips for everyone!
    As for me, I have my blog in English only though it,s my second language. At the very beginning my posts were extremely boring, I couldn,t write more than two stupid sententences. I mean I just used to write smth like: "Here are some photos I,ve taken yesterday..." but, you see, when you read lots of blogs every day your English automatically improves! That,s really great! And I have to thank you for all of your posts! In fact your blog is the only one I,m really interested in. Well, better to say, I adore your blog! I read it and translate unfamiliar words and my Enlish has become better. Today at school we were supposed to write a composition in English. I came to the lesson and our teacher told us to write about why it is so important to look nice. In other words, we had to write a composition about fashion! After some months of reading your blog and other fashion blogs it was so easy and so interesting! I used so many words and expressions from your wonderful posts, I even used "according to" :)

    Love,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always great to read your posts - honestly I come for the inspirational writing and to see how you're doing (some might think it's weird seeing as I don't know you - butIguess that's the beauty of the blog-world!) and not as much for the outfits or photos, mostly because we have very different styles. Even so, I loved the creativity in the old photos! I might even try to be a little more daring and try to take some pictures of myself to post on my blog - I suppose you just have to find your comfort-zone.
    Anyways, thank's for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was... Ehm... Inspirational :)
    I think your absolutely right about the whole 'starting with blogging thing". I did have a Blog until a few weeks ago, but I had zero followers, or however you want to call it, so I stopped with it. I don't think it was even that bad, but I have to work on the marketing part of the things you described in your first post about blogging. And hey, I'm fourteen. That might not be really, um, helping.
    Anyway, I decided to get rid of my old blog and I'm working on adel new one. And right now I'm terribly busy so I just delay things a little.
    Thanks for again a very good post and-now-I-have-to-do-a-bigbigbig-amount-of-homewirk-which-I-should-have-done-instead-of-reading-and-writing-this. But you're worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite the fact that your English is much better than mine I think you made a mistake in plural form of the word "criterium". It's Latin word and in latin singular form is "criterium"and plural "criteria", not "criterias". Just like we say one bacterium and two bacteria, not bacterias. But maybe I'm wrong... E.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pointers Annika! I love that you really went out of your away to explain every little thing that you think is important to make a successful blog in detail. Thank you for your time! And I love you so much! Enjoy life! xo

    PS. I would love you even more if you can go and check out my blog *wink-wink* ;) http://manicberserker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fact that you've been so blunt about the getting-more-followers-situation. Blogging is hard and you can only get better by following the advice of some of the best out there (like you, haha!). Big thank you for the tips, I'll def keep them in mind.
    And that stairwell-story is really funny! I immediately envisioned your neighbours in front of me going all 'what the hell??'.
    Looking forward to part 2 of the blogging-answers!

    Janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! I have to read the rest of your post, but I also had a blog dedicated solely to indie music and was so excited to read that!! That's how I started reading fashion blogs (via livejournal) and I had a radio show with the blog to go with it and after college ended I shifted more to fashion and lifestuff! I would love to read your music reviews!! Sometimes I read mine and I think about what happened to the bands or what they are doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always dreamt of starting a fashion blog, but I've realised its unrealistic for me atm. thank you for your honesty and your hints :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. great tips for blogging beginners:) and I totally adore your blog, it's one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ;___; I'm so glad you posted this. I don't know if you follow my blog but it's been clearly lacking lately. I hate feeling stuck when it comes to blogging...Like my creative is just smushed or I can't be consistent because of time. But blogging is just like any other commitment and you're so right. Your posts always inspire me to make time for it because I really love being involved in this community and I'm glad there are so many others (especially bloggers like you) that make it worth while :) In other words, rock on! :D

    Yasmeen
    Castle Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic post annika! Its all so true and i Love how you spent so much time on These Questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jag kommer ihåg några av dessa foton. Allra mest den bilden när du har katttröjan på dig, med glasögon och hängslen. Jag har för mig att du skrev någonting om att du tog inspiration från Steve Urkel. Bilden har på något sätt fastnat i mitt huvud. Kanske för att jag fingrade på den där katttröjan på H&M, men visste inte riktigt vad jag skulle ha den till, eller hur jag skulle styla den. Sen såg jag din bild. Den var så fantastisk att jag omedelbart ångrade att jag inte köpte tröjan. Dessvärre var den inte kvar när jag själv skulle ha den. Besvikelsen var total... men jag har åtminstone kvar den där fina bilden i huvudet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with so many of these answers. I noticed, especially when I first started posting, how many people were only interested in having a "successful" blog. It takes time, practice, and a bit of trial-and-error before one can find a blog that is the perfect fit for them. I think the fact that you've been blogging for about 5 years is a perfect example of that. Your readership wasn't just thrown your way, you earned it after years of work and loads of experience! Clearly that has all payed off because your page is always one of my favorites to read.

    Best of luck!
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  21. Åh, att se alla gamla outfitbilder fick mig att komma tillbaka till högstadiet direkt, haha.
    Jag tyckte att du var så himla cool och snygg (det tycker jag förstås fortfarande, men ja, du förstår vad jag menar) och ville vara precis som du. Du har verkligen hjälpt mig vad gäller att våga klä mig som jag vill och inte lyssna på all skit man får ta i en liten skitstad som Gävle, om man inte ser ut som alla andra.
    Tack för att du bloggar, jag fortsätter läsa oavsett vilket språk du skriver på!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's why I love your blog!The layout is clean, I love the way you write, your looks,..top 5!
    nice photos*
    My blog is not like yours..I don't share my looks and stuff but I'm enjoying sharing my adventures here in USA ;)
    kiss,kiss

    ReplyDelete
  23. annika, i like seeing your personal, style, & photography growth through your photos! my guy is extremely supportive too. it does take me a lot of time to share & express things the way i want to. i also try very hard to be sensitive, however, i'm not perfect. my sense of humor sometimes gets lost in the translation, with my friends & family. it's hard trying to please everybody all the time, & blah, blah, blah.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am really enjoying your question and answer posts, they are a great way to get to know a bit more about you. I know what you mean about neighbours thinking you are a bit crazy taking photos of yourself as my front garden is completely overlooked by four flats and two houses!

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for the tips on blogging! I'm also pretty excited about that cat-top of yours from one of the pics, which I have too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I just say how I am utterly and truly madly in love with Your blog. Every post (including this one of course) is just so true and REAL. Thank You. I really mean it.
    For a while now (well, for a few months to be exact) I`v been following your blog and wanted to leave a comment but always felt like you have so many of them that you probably wouldn`t even notice my one. But what the hell, I love your blog and I am not afraid to admit it!
    Thank you again for these amazing tips, they are all very true and sincere. If you have the time do you mind visiting my blog? Any helpful comments would be more than appreciated :)
    You`re my inspiration!

    akisforkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think this actually was the best blogpost I've ever read. You're not afraid of telling the thruth, and I like it. And, of course, I love your way to write :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love your blog and your style!its amazing ...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much! You don't realise how helpful this has been to me today - I was having blogger blues for a couple of weeks there! I've only just started following (it was the red shoes in a more recent post that did it!) and I agree with what you have said and plan to put it in practice. Well written lovely! xx

    Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage
    Enter our Inbar Shahak Jewelery Giveaway Here!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm browsing through your blog and have just read this post - your advices are fabulous, I really admire you for the way you explained these all details :-) I've even just promised to myself I'm gonna write a longer posts! everything I would write to sum up won't be enough but in two words : you're BEAUTIFUL and incredibly INSPIRING.

    Loves,

    xoxo
    Ams

    www.ams-la-la-land.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! I'm really impressed with your posts! And this one is so clear and frank!!
    Really, I've never met anyone at any blog so generous and unselfish like you! And your comments/advices about the blog are so hepful to me (beacuse I'm begining a blog and I don't know anything about it! The only thing I know is that I have a lot to show, but I don't know if I would find the way or I will give up nearly - I'm not a patient person!)
    And about the supportive sense of the partner, I think that it is an extra difficulty of the "blog affair" (mine is begining to tell me "why do you spend so much time on the blog" and I only posted for a week!)
    well, I only wanted to thank you again and if you come to Barcelona, I would be pleased to get you a drink!

    kisses,
    e.

    http://stylelovely.com/mes-bijoux/

    ReplyDelete