Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Last Day.

So, yesterday was the last day of the impromptu short film shoot, and today was my last full day in New York. I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon, and knowing myself and my screwed up sleeping patterns, I'll wake up only moments before I need to be in the cab on my way to JFK. I hope I'm wrong, though - I need to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy another suitcase before I can even start packing! (I suppose I did get a little bit of shopping done, after all...)

I had such great plans for today, but it all ended in disaster. Due to the fact that I am a woman and every single month I nearly bleed to death and pass out from the cramps and the nausea, I spent my last day in the best city in the world throwing up in public on Union Square. Absolutely fabulous, this time of the month. Love it.

It's now almost midnight and I'm still in pain, lying in bed with an awesome book as a pretty decent distraction, trying not to be too disappointed about how much has gone wrong for me this trip. (I mean, health-wise. Heatstroke, flu, flu, flu, and then a few days of menstrual cramps to top the whole thing off.) But I know, it could have been so much worse. And I still had a terrific time! Can't wait to come back, hopefully next year - preferrably in the spring or fall. Yeah, I'm picky like that.

But what I wanted to do now was not complain about my feminine pains - I wanted to take you with me on our last day of shooting!

While I was at Starbucks having breakfast, I got a text from Ronnie, asking me to meet him and Emiliano at the New York Public Library on 40th street and 5th avenue. I ran home to change into my by now ludicrously sweaty and stained film clothes - worn day and night for four days straight - and then jumped into a cab.

We're here! Hmm. The sign says "Library Way". In case you were wondering.

I can't help but thinking it's a little bit funny that the United States is such a young country. Like... wow, a hundred years? Really? That's awesome. I mean, the house we live in back home is one hundred and ten years old, but... yeah. Awesome. Still.

I sat down on the steps outside the library and waited. And waited. And waited. Yeah, the boys were late - what a huge surprise! - so I entertained myself by... taking photos of tall buildings. Lots and lots and lots of photos of lots and lots and lots of tall buildings.

I told you - LOTS of photos of buildings. Are you bored now? Yeah, I was, too. But most of all, I was starting to feel worried. Because I suddenly realized that the weird feeling I'd had in my stomach all day could be nothing but initial menstrual cramps, which meant the whole night's shoot was at risk.

At last! My partners in crime, not a minute too soon.
"Wow", Ronnie said. "You really like that outfit, don't you? Not buying into that whole 'we should change our clothes now and again'-myth, huh?"
I assured him that I found him hilarious, then announced that I needed to go find a pharmacy and that they should make sure to dig up the best locations while I was gone.

I'm so grateful that there's a pharmacy or drug store on each and every corner in this amazing city. I found one by Grand Central Station, grabbed the two packs that looked most hardcore - with words like multi-symptom and complete relief you can't go wrong - and ran back to the library. (Umm, yeah, perhaps I should mention that I paid for the pills. Or... maybe you got that.)

Running past the train station, I couldn't help but hear that annoying Gossip Girl recap voice in my head: "You'll never believe what's on Gossip Girl... someone saw Serena getting off a train at Grand Central!"

I took the painkillers on the street while hurrying back, and as usual when I have to take medicin in public, I was afraid people would think I'm a junkie who's addicted to pills. Yep. I'm that geeky.

On my way back from the pharmacy, I passed an H&M store, and in the corner of my eye I noticed a very familiar face. It was a portrait of the incredibly talented photographer Rockie Nolan (blog/lookbook) - one of the first people whose style and photography I fell in love with on via Lookbook.nu, years and years ago. Turns out she's one of the winners of the H&M Your Art Here competition - talk about well deserved! YAY ROCKIE!
Oh, right, maybe I should get back to the library...

 
Hello there fellas making funny faces, glad to see you're in a good mood and ready to shoot!

Then, I wandered around the bookshelves, searched through the books for clues, ran up and down some stairs... and other, eh, film-related stuff. When we had what we needed, we took a cab to the Brooklyn Bridge for the second last scene. I found it all breathtakingly beautiful: the skyline, the water, the setting sun.

Say hi to mr Emiliano Pinto from Santa Fe in Argentina, our excellent (and adorable!) director of photography and new dear friend!

...aaaand right about here, my iphone battery died. Which means I can't take you with me to where we shot our last scene, at the reggae bar Bembe in Williamsburg; nor can I bring you to our celebratory dinner at Jones (the same place we went to this time, remember?). But I can tell you that we were all extremely relieved to have gotten through the past four days without any greater mishaps, and positively extatic over how amazing Emiliano's footage turned out! He truly is a wiz behind the camera. (YES, Ronnie, you're super important, too. Without you we would have had no story, no script, no locations, no production schedule; I would have had no clue what to do and Emi wouldn't have known what to shoot. But you know that.) 

Now I'm going to sleep - I can't believe it took me one and a half hour to put together this post! - and in 14 hours, I'm leaving for the airport. Wish I could have stayed at least another week, but it's true what the sing in the song: you can't always get what you want... And I do want to see my darling katz, oh, if I do. My babies. What if they hate me for leaving them? Or, worse - what if they don't even remember me? The horror. That can't happen. It just can't.

Hope I didn't bore you too much with all these random Hipstamatic photos, I promise they won't be a very commonly occurring feature on the blog - in two days I'll be home and can get back to my daily outfit photos. I must say I'm looking forward to that, and most of all, to never having to wear that disgusting red shirt ever again!


19 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks for sharing the lovely chronicle of your adventure! I am geeky like that, too, I would be concerned that people might think I was a weird pill poppper, hehe. And those photos of those building are spectacular. Get some much needed rest, love!

    ♥, Jamie
    www.TheFancyTeacup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I know exactly what you mean about menstrual cramps. I actually wear those heating pads that you're supposed to stick on your back when you're injured during mine for instant relief from cramps. And you're adventures in New York look like fine, the short film is probably awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post actually gave me the chills! I can't get over the fact that I'll be in this city in less that 23 days... These photos are amazing, and I'm so excited about taking this trip! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing. all this beauty almost breaks my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, it is so far from boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this start to finish and didn't get bored! Good luck with your flight. These are beautiful. x hivenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about your ailments on this trip. (I would've recommended Aleve for you though for the feminine pain. It's the best stuff on the market, and the cheapest too. :) )Best of luck with your trip home. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a super fun trip...My husband and I are moving to NYC next weekend. We are excited, but a little nervous. :)

    I think the United States has such an interesting history, being technically only about 300 years old. When I studied abroad in England, I thought it was so neat that some of the buildings were older than my home country. I just love learning about all of it. :)

    -Hope
    www.aflatteringtale.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Effing hate those cramps. I had such a hard time climbing stairs the other day because of it and when I was asking my teacher questions, she thought I didn't get it because judging by how my face looked, haha! You're not alone, dear :)
    I love the photos Annika! You're a pretty good photographer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend of mine found this on youtube - is this YOU?! I think it's hard to tell with the haircut, but she's just as pretty, that's for sure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-irq3lLnRs&feature=relmfu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annika...Får jag vara lite hård? Om du ska skriva dina romaner på svenska så tycker jag att du först och främst behöver färdighetsträning i svenska och inte engelska. Bakom alla författares framgår ligger enormt slit med språket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you had a splendiferous trip! :) I love all the photos in this post...I'm so jealous that you got to be in NYC. It's one of my dream vacation destinations. :)

    So sorry about all the health problems though...I can totally relate about the girl stuff. I had such awful cramps and nausea yesterday I was laying in the fetal position on the floor for a good hour or so until I felt a little less like I was going to die.

    xo
    Maria
    First Impressions
    Flying Ships Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will probably be so nice to get home for you. Sounds like you had an eventful trip , though. Good way to see the city, staying in an apartment for a couple of weeks and shooting a movie. I want to know how you do that effect with those photos of the city. Is it an app on your iPhone? Looks cool! Have a good trip back...

    ReplyDelete
  14. John, vilken fantastiskt idiotisk kommentar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning love the effetcs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the pictures of the buildings and bridges!

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete