Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Print on print plus family matters.

Print pants and shirt, H&M. Blazer, Leifsdottir. Shoes, Vagabond.

Let me start by apologizing for the super crapalicious quality of these photos. It was almost completely dark when I got around to taking pictures, so I had to brighten them about a billion percent in Photoshop before you could even tell what was on them... and this is what's left. The reason why I'm looking down on all but one is that I'm so horribly, insanely tired, and oh boy, does it show. On the photos where I was looking straight into the camera, I looked like I wasn't sure if I wanted to kill someone or just fall asleep right there.

In other words, not the perfect conditions for a succesful outfit photoshoot. I just think this outfit is kind of neat and figured, what the heck, I'm pretty sure no one has ever died from some low quality outfit shots. (Plenty of other types of shots I hear can be deadly, though, so watch out for those.)

I guess the smart choice when wearing pants with such a bold print would be to pair them with something simple, like a plain white tanktop or something. But what can I say - every time I make smart fashion choices, I get bored. Print on print is usually way more stimulating!

(You might have seen the shirt with the bow print before - here.)

Warning, sappy story will follow: these pants actually mean a lot to me. I bought them two months ago, when I visited my cousins in Seattle for the first time ever. (The only time I'd met my cousin Lauren was when she was 7 and I was 10, and I'd never even met my cousin Leah - who's now 21! So it was about frickin time.) The rain was pouring, (what a surprise, huh? Good thing Seattle is so amazing in every other way) so me and Lauren went shopping to pass the time until it stopped. I found those pants and fell in love instantly, and the fact that Lauren got excited and encouraged me to buy them made me realize that I truly have the most awesome cousins a girl could ask for. ;)

A weird thing: So me, Lauren and Leah grew up in entirely different parts of the world: me in Stockholm, Sweden, they in a small town outside of Seattle, Washington. We never had any contact at all (except that I met Lauren in LA once when I was 10) until we found eachother on Facebook. And you know what? All three of us are journalists. Leah just graduated from college, Lauren writes for Fashion Network Seattle. I felt like we all had so much in common. It was such a strange feeling, flying to a city you've never been to, meeting people you don't know and instantly have a million things to talk about! It appreciate that so much, even more since my family on my dad's side is very, very, very small. It would be such a waste not to make the most of the relationships with the only relatives I've got. Especially when they happen to be quite the aaaah-mazing girls!



16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I absolutely love your bangs like that! You are such a beauty. Also, this outfit is so fantastic. The mix of prints are too perfect, and I adore the fit of the pants. Lovely as always, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, you're such a darling! This means a lot coming from you, you are fabulous and I admire your blog and your style so much! Just realized it wasn't on my list of favorite blogs yet, that's taken care of now.

    I love my bangs like this too, that's one of the reasons why I wanted to take photos even though it was way too dark and I'm way too tired ;) I barely ever manage to make my hair do as I want it to!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look remarkable, Annika! You pull off the mixture of prints so beautifully. I have the same H&M bow blouse and I love it. That's so sweet how the pants have sentimental value to you, those kind of apparel make the best closet staples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am a shoes-maniac, your are great!

    unclichedtrio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these photos are stunning!!! Now, photography aside, I am GUSHING over this outfit!! LOVE!

    http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great to have cousins who are also such good friends! I have a couple of cousins who I always confide in and even if one is in New york and another one in Toronto and I in Hong Kong we try to keep in touch and support each other!

    And the outfit is great- no one died from crappy lighting!

    -Sam
    http://www.samishome.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this style !
    I'm a fan of you:)
    www.youngseo1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures aren't so bad dear. It looks great :) I love your shoes and your pants too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annika!
    First of all, your idea of crappy photos is my idea of amazing perfect gorgeous photos. And you look beautiful, as usual!
    What an amazing story about your cousins- such a wonderful coincidence!
    I'm exhausted right now (hey, just like you!), and to avoid a keyboard face-plant I better get to bed, immediately. But I wanted to let you know that Joey (husband) has a close friend who married a Swedish girl and now lives in Stockholm, and his wife was kind enough to translate your article for me! I love it- you did such a fucking amazing job of taking my answers and turning them into an article that really sounds like "me". So this is by far my favorite feature ever, and I can't wait to get my copy! Thanks for being such a talented writer : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooohh, i am in love with your pants. just gorgeous <3

    la tiquismiquis
    http://tqsm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I found your blog by following a link from Barbro Andersen's blog. I have to say I'm really quite blown away by your styling, photography and writing; it's all sumptuous. I love the fact that the backdrop to your photos is rural (just like me) and that you are obviously a perfectionist in your approach to making each post look like it's an editorial. Great personal anecdotes too. I love reading about family hook-ups (especially having no cousins/aunts/uncles myself). What a great family connection to find that all 3 cousins are journalists; there's obviously a word gene threading through your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures look fine!
    Those pants look so cool. That's a great story about your cousins, funny thing coincidence (or is it fate, maybe both).
    I'm sure you get this pretty darn often, but god you are so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to remember, these photos brought me here. Oh, and I also wanted to tell you - as long as I talk about similarities - that I'm a journalist too (like you and your cousins :]), only not in fashion, but at the foreign policy department of the biggest daily newspaper in my country, Hungary. So that's mutual too! :]
    But enough of the comments for today, I have to study for an exam tomorrow, but apparently I'd do anything but to study. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so beautiful <3
    I love your style too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Fancy Teacup, thank you so much! Aaw, do you have a photo of yourself in the bow shirt? I've never seen it on anyone else and would love to see how you styled it!

    unclichedtrio, thanks dear!

    Lisa Fergus, that's so sweet of you <3

    Sam, are you sure? What if they couldn't see properly and, like, fell down a cliff or something? Aaaaahaha I'm so funny. Or maybe not.

    One of the most wonderful things about close friends and family is definitely that you can still be very close even though you're far away geographically. It's a small world as long as you're close at heart.

    Youngseo, thank you <3

    Regina Carmeli, haha, I don't agree about the photos but I'm happy you like them. ;) At least I did the best I could.

    Margaret, you're my secret crush.

    la tiquismiquis, thank you so much! You're always so sweet to me!

    Roz, I really can't thank you enough for all of your kind words. I loved your comment about my effort to make my posts like editorials, I've never thought of it like that but you're absolutely right (even though I'm obviously not that successful at it, I sure to make some sort of effort). Your blog is so amazing and you're one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen.

    The story of your scoliosis was immensely touching and you have way of expressing yourself that pierces the reader straight through. I'm certain that you have the most amazing future ahead of you in the creative field.

    Dana Lee, my adorable Gleek friend - thank you so very much! <3

    Constance, thank you gorgeous!

    szexesnyuljork, oh my goodness, that's so impressive! It really sounds like a fascinating and challenging job. Do you study at the same time? Actually I don't write about fashion that much, though one of my employers is a fashion magazine.

    The only fashion related things I write is a weekly feature about an inspiring fashion blogger from somewhere around the globe. That's actually what made me start my own blog - I was blown away by the incredibly friendly atmosphere and all the talent out there, and I just knew I wanted to be a part of it!

    I guess you could say that I have two main "specialities", work-wise: One, I write columns - some about my life, others about social issues - and two, I write longer features about people in the culture- and entertainment fields. My last big cover story was a six page spread where I interviewed miss Lady Gaga in Los Angeles! (One of the most exciting days of my entire life. Seriously.)

    Charlotte Rouge, thank you, sweetie!

    xo
    Annika

    ReplyDelete