Wednesday, May 25, 2011

You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Everything is from Monki.

Normally, I'd never even consider wearing an entire outfit by the same brand - especially not from the same collection/season. To me, it just seems like... cheating. Like, where is the originality in that? The creativity? It would be like pointing your finger at a page in the IKEA-catalog and say "this is exactly what I want", buying every single piece of furniture in that photo, copy the placement and be like "hey guys, look at me, I'm an interior designer now!".

(Wow. The IKEA-catalog? Really? I'm such a Swede.)

Well, as it turns out: I'm a hypocrite. Everything I'm wearing in these photos, head to toe, is from the Swedish store concept/clothing brand Monki. But I do have an excuse, seriously, I do!

Here goes. So, I live way out into the countryside. If I want to go shopping, I can either drive one and a half hours in one direction and end up in Stockholm (the capital of Sweden), or I can drive fourty-five minutes in another direction and arrive in a small town called Eskilstuna. Stockholm would seem like the obvious choice, since they have, like, a gazillion more stores. The problems are that 1) I still can't really drive in bigger cities, which means that every time I drive in Stockholm I waaaay to close to killing not only myself but also a lot of innocent pedestrians, and 2) it's so hard to get a parking space, and as you might guess, I suck really bad at parallel parking, too.

Eskilstuna, on the other hand, has one store that I like. (On good days: two.) But! It's closer, it's easy to drive there, and there's always a place to park. Plus, not to underestimate: a much smaller risk of killing anyone.

Ergo: When I do go shopping (which does not happen very often, I'll tell you that), I go shopping in Eskilstuna. 

Wow, this really is a terribly long and ridiculously uninteresting story.

Anyways! Since I so seldom take the time to go shopping at all, and since there only is one store that I like, I have to make the most of it. Go all in, as those red-eyed guys staying up all night playing online poker would put it. Which is why I browse around the store for at least an hour, putting together outfits that I then try on for at least another hour (all while chatting away with the lovely people who work there - I've gotten to know a few of them alarmingly well by now). Then I choose the one or two outfits I love the most (they have SO MUCH GORGEOUS STUFF THERE!!!) and take them home with me. (Umm, yeah, trying to forget about the part where I have to pay for all of those things, but yeah, that part also takes place.)

So! My point being (fiiinaaaallyyyyy, I know) that when I've had to drive that far, then spend all that time putting together the perfect outfits... I just have to show them to you guys! Otherwise, what's the fun? And actually, I think I'm going to dismiss my first theory (remember, the one about wearing all items from the same brand would be cheating?). In reality, everything we put on is original in it's own way. That's of course why even if I put on the exact same pieces that lovely miss Alexa Chung is wearing, on me, they would just be... shorts... and shoes... and a leather jacket. The magic happens when she puts it on, when she brings her own star quality into the garments. 

(For that same reason, filthy rich people with no taste can wear million dollar haute couture as much as they want, they're only going to look like tacky people in expensive dresses. Sure it's mean, but come on, we all know it's true.)

Let's wrap it up (if anyone even managed to read this far, if you did, my gaawd - go read a book or something instead!). ;) 
I don't give a damn that everything except the socks is from the same store. I LOVE THIS OUTFIT, I love the shoes, the hat, the blazer, the sheer shirt and the shooooes, oh, the shoes! I even love the denim shorts, even if they're just plain and I have too many pairs just like those. 

So, where's the originality? Well, if there is any, I guess it's somewhere... inside of me. And if not, so be it. I'm happy being a pretty little snowflake.





16 comments:

  1. You sure do know how to wear red lips! I also don't think I would ever wear the same brand all at once...but you never know. I always end up doing things I never think I will with fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and makeupandjeans.com is my blog address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blazer and hat are so pretty! <3 and the shade of lipstick suits you perfectly!

    x
    www.lostinthehaze.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babe thank you SO much for the sweet comment on my blog.
    You are absolutely beautiful!!
    hope you make it back to california soon :)
    xoxoxo
    shea marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE SWOON FOR YOU!

    rad online vintage store

    www.deepoca.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it!

    http://oppositelipstick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving this outfit too! Everything fits in PERFECTLY! :O

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks are a sweet addition to this blazer and shorts look!

    www.plentyforpennies.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very nice outfit!
    Hope you'll visit my blog,
    :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. your blog is lovel - and you are ever so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just discover your blog!!! I'm so fan!!! I follow you now, and I add in my next article on "favorites blogs" xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I just arrived here from lookbook, and I wanted to say, that I find ourselves very similar, and I really really enjoy your blog and the way you write - it's like I almost hear you saying these things.
    Also I'm in love with Alexa Chung, so I guess her name was the last sign: you've got yourself a new follower and a link on my blog (which by the way isn't in english, so sadly you cannot discover those similarities which I was talking about... :]
    Have a lovely day, and I'm looking forward to get to know you better.

    Kisses,
    Eszter

    p.s.: and since I managed to read the whole post, I'm gonnan read a book now... :]
    p.s.2: sorry for my grammar, that's why I don't write in english! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. (not just the grammar, I noticed I type really badly today :D)

    ReplyDelete