Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sparkly sequins, fancy floppiness and fake fringes.

Striped sequin dress, H&M. Grey/pink over knee socks and floppy hat, Asos.com. Brown leather litas, Jeffrey Campbell/Solestruck.com.

When you read this, I might very well be at Ikea, picking out their cheapest stuff for my new amazing office. Writing this, I'm kind of in a rush and will have to limit myself to telling you two things:

1) The floppy gorgeousness on my head is the most awesome hat I've ever owned and I might have to wear it with everything from now on.

2) I didn't cut my bangs. They're fake. (OK, now you're like, say whaaaaaat, and I'm like, hey, my hair looks horrible ALL THE TIME in this humid heat, why not fake it til you make it?) It's one of these clip-on fringes, and it doesn't look good whatsoever without the hat - but who cares, I'd rather keep it on anyway.

I bought the fringe before Christmas when I tried to make up my mind: I've had my bangs cut short and blunt most of my life, even though it's incredibly stupid and impractical considering how curly/wavy my hair is naturally. Last year I'd finally managed to grow them out completely, and I missed them so much, it was nuts.

I got the clip-on fringe to help me decide whether to cut my bangs or not, and since I thought I looked a thousand times better with it than without it, I just went for it. BIG MISTAKE. It's like my hair gets curlier every day and it was impossible to make the straight bangs look good (or even okay). After six months and visits to a bunch of different hairdressers, now I'm trying to grow them out again. But then I put on the clip-on fringe and the hat and immediately I can feel the thoughts being formed: Wow. That looks really good. Really, really good. Like, awesome. Maybe having bangs actually wasn't a bad idea at all. Yeah, I can feel it. It will be different this time. Different!

No. I will be strong. Just need to throw away every single pair of scissors in this house, just in case.










UPDATE:

Thanks to Rika from Fashion Blogger Revealed for this great feature! Check it out, especially if you for some reason are dying to know a bunch of more or less random facts about yours truly. I had a lot of fun answering all of the questions!

19 comments:

  1. I just bought a big floppy hat -- the brim is an inch bigger than what was promised, but it's not too big of a deal.

    I adore that dress; reminds me of 50s era flappers!

    I'm growing my bangs out a bit, because I like the sideswept thing that Jean Greige was doing for a while. Plus, they're fun to style. I just don't know if I look good with my forehead showing. I guess we'll find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clip-on bangs is such a cute look! And you look dazzling in that sequin dress, girl!

    ♥, Jamie
    www.TheFancyTeacup.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress! I love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing in the dress! If this helps about the bangs, you look so beautiful without them why not buck the trend ;)...if I could look photogenic without them I'd grow them out! I have (pretty much) straight hair and they're still a pain! Trimming them every other week (myself), sometimes it's a wreck, bad (bangs) hair days all the time, etc.
    xx
    Izzy
    www.misadventuresofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dress, and I love the hat. I am fringe-less, because it just doesn't work well with my hair--I'm just trying to grow my hair a few inches longer right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look like a beautiful modern flapper in this dress! Too gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. bangs are high maintenance! i had bangs for 3yrs!! the only time they looked good was when i used a straightening-iron on my bangs… and i must confessed that i used the straightening-iron almost everyday! a girl gotta look good gotta look good! what to do!! I just grew out of my bangs but i chopped off my almost waist-length lock to now an extremely messy short-do. i think i want my long hair back. BOOHOO!!!

    how can u make sequins look so damn chic??!!! i'm jealous!!! i have been wanting to get this pair of Litas that u r wearing but no luck! my feet are just too ginormous! BOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dress and the fringe looks really natural, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a floppy hat that I have worn thousand times I love it!! Is to hot for summer though but is perfect... you look gorgeous Annika :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the litas and the hat, such a perfect look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never had a fringe, just long straight hair, but lately I been thinking of maybe get a fringe. But Im unsure, I am in love with my hair and cutting it feels a little painful. The fringe looks cute on you though

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same problem--I've had bangs for over two years now, and I think I'm going to start growing them out finally, because my hair is also really curly/wavy and maintaining them is just a hassle. But then I'll see them looking nice one day, and I'll be like, "Hey, that looks good. Maybe I'll just keep them for a month longer." But I think that I either need to grow out my bangs or cut my hair short.

    I'm going to do it, though. I need some change!

    Odelia

    youreatulle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous outfit! I love your knee-high socks, your shoes and your hat! xxx

    eloisedephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have that problem also. I have immensely curly hair and a fringe doesn't go well with that but I'm so attached to it I can't let it go. It would make my life so much easier without it but it just looks better on me even though I have to blowdry and straighten it every day. Perhaps I should grow it out for convenience and get a clip on fringe to ensure a good hair day :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sequin dress is just so FAB ! Love how you styled it, I never would have thought to wear it that way. And i love the hat !!







    xx





    www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos dear :) I really love your dress! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. i don't like bangs very much, maybe because it doesn't look good on me. i had a couple of different bangs in the past, but now i know without is best for me! i have to say i like you more without them. this looks cute too, but yea, "cute". without bags you look more elegant and adult to me. more like a lady!

    but neverthelessi LOVE this outfit! what a beautiful dress and hat! love the contrast between the dress and the rest in this outfit!

    LOVE nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how sparkly this dress is! Especially paired with the cozy looking socks! I don't think I would have thought to put all of these elements together, but it works so well

    ReplyDelete