Saturday, July 16, 2011

These streets will make you feel brand new.


I woke up to my first day in New York with a splitting headache. This is not something unusual for me, especially when my body and mind has been under a great amount of stress, but that doesn't mean it's not still annoying. I figured I was probably extremely dehydrated, took two Aspirins and gulped down all the water we had in the apartment, then went back to sleep. When I woke up again, at 12:30, I felt fantastic! I took a cold shower, posted an outfit on the blog, got dressed and hit the streets.

Since I've always been in love with lox bagels - that was the first thing I had when I got here yesterday - I couldn't find a reason as to why I shouldn't have one for breakfast as well. I stopped by Bagelworks to pick up a toasted onion bagel with lox spread, and ate it on a bench at a nearby playground while watching the adorable kids playing (and I hope I don't have to add that I was watching them in the least creepy way possible).

And then... I just walked. Along 1st avenue, all the way from E 64th St to East Harlem, then west past Park and Madison Ave to Central Park. I had an ice coffee at Starbucks, rested my blistered feet on the steps of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, before walking back home.

It feels unnecessary to tell you that I'm in love with this city. Of course I am. How on Earth could I not be? I didn't even have to go here to be convinced that this is the best city on the planet, and I know that expectations like those are hard to live up to, but I was never worried. I knew all along I wouldn't be disappointed. And I'm glad to say that I was right!

Ronnie's at the gym but coming back any second now, so I'd better get ready for a night on the town. It's already getting dark so I've given up on having decent outfit photos taken today, these will have to do:

Light blue denim shorts, Monki. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead shirt that I've had forever (no idea where it's from). Converse Allstars. New lipstick: 630 Red Revolution by Maybelline.

Not much to say - this outfit was perfectly fine to walk around Manhattan in. Except maybe the shoes, oh my gosh, my feet hurt so baaaad. But I'm childish and stubborn and refuse to wear shoes that are more comfortable than these, I mean, I'm proud I resisted wearing heels!

Yay, Ronnie's home! We're going to dinner at this Italian restaurant next door - we had a glass of wine there after dinner last night and it seemed like a great place. After that, the night lays open! Our neighbour, a guy we met in the hallway, invited us to a party he's hosting at some club, so we might stop by there. I love not knowing where the night will take me, it makes me feel young and free and like anything is possible...

11 comments:

  1. these are the most amazing photos, i love the first one. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've been to New York once, a few years ago, and from what I remember it was cool. It was very cold though (we went in March) so I'd like to experience it without wearing five layers someday. Anyway, have a great rest of your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous photos! I know what you mean about New York being the best city. I live several states away, but I'm constantly itching to travel and/or live there. I've been a few times and each time just re-enforces my conviction. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. annika i'm so excited for you! I'm glad you're documenting so many details of your trip - having not gone to new york before, I do appreciate every bit of information I can get!! Where are you planning to shop? Do tell us EVERYTHING! Love you girl X

    ReplyDelete
  5. this seem like a sweet dream ! Oh...New York,, ohhhh !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so envious! These pics are great, New York seems so lovely! I hope you enjoy your dinner with Ronnie and your stay in this beautiful city!

    http://lifeisaromanticpoem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trip to NYC was my biggest dream since I was a child :) These pics are great but I'm looking forward form more! You look stunning, dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable photos! New York is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New York is amazing! I went there when I was younger and last summer (my summer), but it was raining. You're very lucky to be there when it's summer, I heard it's beautiful! :)
    I love the top! You could ride the subway, but you won't see much of New York...

    ReplyDelete
  10. New York seems so amazing. If my husband was not in London, I would have spent my money on a New York trip as I already have seen London several times. I will follow your posting and enjoy the little air of New York I will get while in London.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pictures make me want to go to NYC even more than I already did!

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete