Monday, July 4, 2011

The American Woman says HAPPY BIRTHDAY, USA!

Yeah, yeah. So it might be twenty past midnight here. But who cares? It's still 4th of July in A-H-M-E-R-I-C-A-H. And today, that's all that matters!

Since I'm such a bad American citizen, I didn't celebrate our Independence Day at all. I could at least have watched the movie Independence Day. Or maybe Team America: World Police. Anything with the United States saving the world, really.
But I didn't.
In my defence, I'm only half American. If my Mom had not been Swedish, I would have worn the outfit above all day long, I promise!

Oh, yeah. My American Woman. Isn't she lovely? I'm very proud of her. I started making just a regular outfit collage, but it was boring me to tears, so I thought: Okay, I need a pretty lady to wear these fabulous American flag print items. So, I drew her, and she turned out to be a terrific model! I'm going to call her Lucy.

Lucy is wearing stars-and-stripes litas from Jeffrey Campbell/Solestruck.com, tank top from Romwe.com, bowtie as hair bow from wildties.com, Runwaydreamz vintage denim shorts from singer22.com, heart-shaped sunglasses from Topshop and socks from an unknown brand. I'm pretty certain both her parents are Americans. She is, that's for sure!

Hope all you yankees out there had a fabulous 4th of July!

10 comments:

  1. If you're a bad half-American, then I'm a terrible all-American! Haha, I spent today watching movies involving absolutely no mention of America (though with some awesome British accents) and generally being lazy. So much fun, but I suppose it's a failure of a day if we're measuring by patriotism. Oh well! I can hear fireworks, does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THOSE HOT PANTS SO MUCH! i saw them at topshop in london but i hadn't had enogh money to buye them..now i even think about sewing them by myself!

    ps: congrats, america ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just stumbled on to your beautiful blog and am now following :)

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annika, great blog!
    Its funny how people say they are half-American. Being American, back home in the US, is a national-identity, not an ethnic identity. I don't think anyone back home (I currently live in Sweden but am from California) would say they are American as an ethnic identity. I was born in the US and lived there until 21, I am half African-American and half Persian. Even though my mom was born in the US I would never say I am half American. It just wouldn't make sense. Its interesting how people who don't live in the US, use American as an ethnic identity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous,

    I'm not sure I get what you mean. I'm not saying it's my ethnic identity, but it's definitely my national identity: my dad is American, he still lives in California as well as my little sister and my grandparents, my mom is Swedish and I have double citizenships. To me, that makes me "half American", "half Swedish". (I also consider myself "half-Jewish", even though I'm technically not Jewish at all, since it's inherited through the mother's side of the family.)

    If I didn't consider myself being half American, it would feel like neglecting my father and his side of the family, and also like taking away a part of who I am. I've always felt a lot more at home in the US, personality-wise, and I cherish that part of myself. Does this make any sense? :)

    Love,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a bad Swede lol, for like caring such a lot about USA:s national day and not our own. gosh, that's just so wrong...
    and I'm writing in English to you which is gonna make Sweden even angrier with me...oops :/
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy looks great! :)
    I feel really awful because I kind of forgot about Philippine Independence Day until the day after. *Facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand either what's wrong with calling yourself half American. My son is half Swedish, half English and that's purely because that's where his parents are from and nothing to do with ethnicity.

    Now for my question: I thought the US didn't allow dual citizenship for their citizen after the age of 18, meaning you can have two nationalities until you reach 18 but after that you have to choose. Did you manage to completely bypass that or am I just completely wrong?

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, I absolutely agree with you!

    About the dual citizenship: yep, you're right. But that rule is "new" - it didn't apply to me, only to people born after a certain year (not sure which).

    ReplyDelete