Friday, July 1, 2011

My New Office!


This is how it looked the first (and only) time I saw it. My office-to-be.

When I got home from seeing it, I wrote this in the blog:

"I must admit it was a bit hard to picture what the office will look like when it's done - you see, they still have to put in a floor, a ceiling, a couple of walls and a loft. At the moment it's more like a... corner. 

But the house that it's in is so amazing - it's this old, quirky house by the railroad where they once used to store locomotives. Some people bought it recently and are starting to fix it up, and they're renting out some of the rooms as offices and studios."

Six weeks later, I open a door (one that certainly was not there the last time) and I think: no way. No. Way. No way. 

I honestly thought I must be on the wrong floor or something. I mean, it's taken six months for the carpenters we hired to fix the water leak in our house, and in six weeks the people who own the office building have turned what you can see in the photo above into this:


I mean... it's just perfect. Asbolute 100% perfection. I simply can not wait to move in! I will go to Ikea tomorrow and buy a desk, a chair and some lamps, and then I'm good to go. I never, ever imagined that I would get to work in such a beautiful office. I always thought the one my boyfriend is renting is great, but compared to mine, it's like he's working in a public restroom. ;) (Just kidding, darling!)

The only thing that's not top notch about the whole situation (I hate the expression "top notch" but I can't seem to stop using it, don't know what that's about) is that I really don't have any money at all to buy furniture. I'll just get the cheapest desk and a decent chair, and then the rest will be empty for now. Not that that's a tragedy in any way, it's just that with such a lovely office, it feels like a shame not to decorate it the way it deserves. But who knows, working there might make me so efficient that I start earning a lot more soon! One can dream...

Oh, and for you who don't know: I'm a freelance writer, I write columns and articles for different magazines for a living, and until now I've been working from home. It's been okay, but it's hard to be alone so far out in the countryside all day - I get a bit isolated and lonely. And most of all: when you work from home, you're never free. When you're doing the dishes, vacuuming, watching tv, mowing the lawn or playing with the cats, you always know that you really should be working instead. That way, I feel way more stressed out about work than I should, and I can't thoroughly enjoy living in this great house. Hopefully all of this will change, now that I'll go to work every day, get everything done, come home and be way more care-free.

The hardest thing will be not to hang out with my beloved cats all day, every day - but I guess I can't be a stay-at-home cat mom forever! At least now, when I leave them, I get to go to a pretty awesome workplace. That should make the transition into "working mom" a bit easier - at least for me. ;)



12 comments:

  1. Wow, just lika a loft in New York!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm immediately thinking of Virginia Woolf's statement: "A woman must have... a room of her own if she is to write..." And hey, WHAT a room!!! As you say, it's perfect, right down to the natural light washing in. I'm sure you will have a very inspired time writing in such a space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.
    And I like the idea of being a stay-at-home cat mum. Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this looks like a wonderful place to be..and to stay! it's okay you will see this room will be filled soon with beautiful furniture and accessories! i think first of all, all you need is a dish, a chair, a laptop, some books maybe, maybe something to cook tea some pictures at the wall and some fresh flowers and it will be wonderful! this place looks so bright and open to me! i'm so happy for you, annika!


    xxx nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks absolutely great; really clean and fresh (still) :D I think it's really healthy to change the environment one is in every now and then; I would lose my mind if I had to be in my house 24/7 (now, YOUR house on the other hand... hmm... haha).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful space and congrats again!

    www.blackandblondeone.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely space! Congratulations!

    I know what you mean about furniture...I furnished our apartment with Ikea castoffs from other people leaving our building. And we also do craigslist in NYC to alert people when you're moving and selling/ getting rid of things.

    Do you have something like that for Stockholm?

    ReplyDelete
  8. my favorite part is the stairway...so airy.

    As for furniture, have you thought about getting some thrift/vintage furniture from flea markets/estate sales and repaint them yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow ! what a great space!

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way about working from home - it's like I work all day long! however, I couldn't afford an office space, but it would be great, and it feels like I would get a lot more done and faster :)plus, getting all dressed up doesn't hurt ;)
    congrats on the new office!

    ReplyDelete
  11. when I saw the picture of your new office, this massive smile just appeared on my face. this is my dream office <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating space you have there. Did you say that it only took 6 weeks for them to beautify that place? Now that's amazing. I'm kinda envious of your soon-to-be office. One day I'll have my own too. I hope.

    ReplyDelete