Sunday, July 24, 2011

A few words.

As some of you might have guessed, my last post was pre-scheduled. I wrote and posted it on Friday morning, a few hours before the unbelievable tragedy in Norway. When I heard about the attacks I had completely forgotten about my soon-to-be-posted "ten reasons to adore redheads"-post, and I very much hope noone was offended by it in any way.

My blog will be back in business soon. I just have a very hard time focusing on fashion and style and the likes when close to a hundred teenagers were shot and killed. And please don't tell me that tragedies happen all the time all over the world, I know, but you also know that this is the way our minds work. The closer to home, the harder to fathom and deal with.

Ronnie and I had plans to have dinner with some Swedish friends here in NYC yesterday, and we did, tried to distract ourselves. That didn't work out very well for me. After dinner we went to a bar, I tried to have fun and at times I did, but... Then I started thinking about my best friend. She died ten months ago and since then, every day has been an almost impossible struggle. Now I couldn't stop thinking about the hundreds, thousands, of people in Norway who will have to live with that loss. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, friends, colleagues, classmates, boyfriends, girlfriends of the innocent people killed.

So I cried, and I cried, and I cried, and I cried. For hours. (Today my eyes are so swollen I barely recognize myself in the mirror.) I'm pretty sure everyone regretted bringing me to that bar, I wasn't exactly a mood-booster. But then again, dancing on the tables didn't feel like the right thing to do this particular weekend (though I did try that, too).

Once again: my prayers go out to everyone involved in this indescribable tragedy.

And to you who read this blog, I'll be back tomorrow. Until then, take care of eachother and be safe.

12 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you Annika, and of course all those in Norway who are having to cope with this tragedy. I can hardly believe what has happened xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so terrible, and to think that my cousin just left Oslo the morning it happened. My thoughts are with every one affected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody really thought things like this could happen in Norway. Just one day and so many innocent people killed... Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( Hope your okay baby... such a tragedy... so so sad. No words. Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to put my own feelings into words in my latest blog post, but it's hard - how to describe that absolute horror? It's a bewildering, very sobering, and ultimately disturbing feeling - knowing that one human could inflict so much pain on others.

    I agree with the statement about it being harder, the closer the event is to your relatively safe existence. I think that's why the 7/7 bombings in Britain were so scary. It suddenly wasn't just something that 'happened to other people', preferably somewhere far away. This is similar; a tragedy happening in a peaceful nation.
    I think that you have a wonderfully big heart Annika, and this is such a sad time. Atrocities may occur regularly, but that shouldn't mean that we are de-sensitized towards them (and therefore dismiss them) - because it is the compassion and empathy that make us human.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm sorry for your feelings and i totally understand why you can't talk about fashion and stuff in the moment. take the time that you need, hun. what happend is cruel.
    take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Annika, I'm really sorry. I totally understand, you shouldn't force yourself to do something that you don't want to do. I think all of us understand.
    Read some Harry Potter and drink some tea, it works for me all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the victims' family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no words... I'm only shocked.
    These terrible things are too bad to being real...
    I cry too.
    All my heart to Norway.
    And a kiss to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oslo was so beautiful yesterday. And all the love and concern from all over the world is heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean when you say that you started crying when you thought about all those people that now have to live with having lost a loved one. I did too. My mum died unexpectedly a few years back and sorrow is truly the most aweful thing one can experience. I carry it with me every single day...

    Thanks for a lovely blog- it's a pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete