Friday, July 22, 2011

Sunshine on E 64th Street or The Betty Draper Shorts.

Yellow shirts, Weekday. White tank top with front pocket, Monki. Brown leather satchel (as always!), Vero Moda. Black sandals, Nilson. Old heart shaped glasses that I'm not sure where they're from... Urban Outfitters? Lipstick, "Red Revolution" by Maybelline.

I have a feeling I'm not allowed to complain as long as I'm in New York City. And trust me, I don't want to. But it's like I can't help myself! As soon as I sit down at the computer, my fingertips start doing their own little dance over the keys, and this is what they write:

IT'S TOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOT! Like walking around in an oven! In a sauna! In a desert! (Except that in the desert it's chilly at night, here the nights are just as warm!) IT'S TOOOO HOOOOOT HERE OKAY?!?!?!

Don't blame me, that's my fingers talking. You can't really blame them either, though: today it's a 100°F and not the slighest trace of a breeze. (Around 38°C.)

The reason why I can't seem to refrain from moaning and whining is that, well, I'm very sensitive to heat. When I tell people this, they assume that I don't like the heat. That I think it's more convenient and pleasant when it's not too hot. And... I do. Of course! But it's not that simple. When the weather is too hot for me, I get light-headed, a buzzing sound starts in my ears, I have trouble breathing, and then I pass out. To be honest, I think this has only happened once or twice in Sweden - but basically every time I've traveled to a warmer country. So I guess I really am living in the exact right place on Earth.

When I went shopping yesterday, I was very close to fainting a few times - but, luckily, through the years I've learnt a couple of things about preventing these... minor heat-strokes? - or whatever they are. As soon as I started feeling dizzy, I went into the closest air-conditioned store and sat down. On a chair or bench if possible, otherwise, right on the floor. Gulped down some water from the bottle in my bag, then went back out on the street before anyone could tell me to please not sit on the floor and drink water in their nice little boutique.

And, today is supposed to be even warmer than yesterday. I did have plans but I think they'll have to wait until a day when it's a bit cooler... and anyway, a little more shopping can't hurt!

Oh, what to say about the outfit above. It was really warm. I felt extremely sweaty and disgusting. Seriously, my hair was wet, and it sure wasn't raining. But my sandals have proven to be surprisingly comfortable - way more than any other shoes I brought, I like my heartshaped glasses that I've had forever and I might even say that I love my pale yellow 1950's shorts. They feel like a pair Betty Draper would wear out in her garden, with a sheer creme blouse and some mint green flats.

Other than that - sorry that the outfits aren't more fun. At night, when we change and go out, it's too dark to take photos. So the ones you get to see are my boring trying-to-surivive-the-heat-outfits. Please be patient and stick around, at least until the heatwave is over!











19 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry it's so hot! This whole east coast is getting slammed with a nasty heat wave -- we're feeling it over in Massachusetts here, I promise. (I usually walk to work, as it's only fifteen-twenty minutes, but it's too hot for me to risk doing so today and tomorrow.)

    I also happen to think this outfit is not boring at all! It's really cute and looks so comfortable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful look :)

    http://31-85.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your heart-shape sunnies! u still look chic and fresh despite the unbearable heat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute summer outfit! You look lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute sunnies! you don't look like you're out and about in that heat.

    try to stay cool.

    xoxo

    the-champagnelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have so hot summer here this year, it rains almost every day.
    You look really pretty! Love the shorts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the heart shaped glasses!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, great bag!
    :D LOL, that was mean, but more like an insider joke I guess... I do still like it though :]

    anyway, I was listening to lisa ekdahl yesterday, and I thought I'll ask you if you liked her music too. Because I'm in love with her and nobody knows her in here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man... don't ever come to Arizona. 120 F today outside. New York is realllly humid though, the humidity is what makes it unbearable.

    Girl, you look fantastic. The sunglasses/red lip combo and your amazing shorts. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I reeeeeary love the heart shaped glasses Annika!
    love uor blog s2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those sunnies are incredibly sweet!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog, just wanted to say that I feel the same way as you do about the heat, it's terrible i feel I cannot breathe because of the humidity I hope we get relief soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's kind of like our summer two years ago! I remember my cousins, who are from Vancouver, complaining about how hot it is and me and my sister were just chillin,' haha! Then again, I think the heat is better than the cold.
    Oh by the way, you look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. But sweet Annika, you are gonna miss the sun soon!! but okay... 100° (38°) is really HOT! hope you are enjoying yourself in New York, in the shadows :p

    Love from
    Mie
    http://miedina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. ughhh I feel ya on this heat. it's disgusting. & I'm the same way.. I've had some light-headed pass-out moments due to the heat before. totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. when I look at your pics I think about coming back to being brunette;) it would be nice if you could visit my blog http://futuristka.blogspot.com hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are DARLING. Love this casual, cool outfit - so summery and perfect! The glasses are rad too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look so gorgeous here Annika.

    Working that red lippy!



    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    currently living in Purple Rain

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tu stilo es genial! y en mexico el calor es abrumador tras eso un buen look es mas genial!!!

    ReplyDelete