Monday, July 4, 2011

The Spontaneous Almost-Dream Bathroom.


Moving into my new office, it hit me that it's been way too long since we went into a new room of my house! It's definitely time to continue the husesyn.*

*I'm copy-pasting from the first part of the husesyn: In Sweden, when you go visit someone for the first time, you always say "let's go for a 'husesyn'!". I don't know exactly how you would translate that, looked it up in an online dictionary and it said "house inspection" - which is exactly what it is, but "inspection" sounds so harsh and unpleasant. When you go on a husesyn, you're all like "ooooh", "aaaaah", "I love what you've done with the place!". (In case you're an asshole, you could of course say that you hate it and you don't know how people could live like that but you probably won't get a second invitation.)

In January, when we found out our hallway, laundry-room and bathroom had to be thrown out and rebuilt because of a terrible water leak, my mom immediately said "oh, but then you can take the opportunity to make a much bigger and nicer bathroom!". Since we had been told our insurance would only cover a third of the cost - because our house is so old - I wasn't exactly in the mood to get excited over the fact that our perfectly decent bathroom could now become "bigger and nicer". We had absolutely not been planning on renovating it, and I was horrified over the fact that we would somehow have to come up with 45 000 dollars. (In the end, we had to take out another mortgage on the house.) But sure, I agreed that now that we had to redo it anyway, why not make the new bathroom a great one!

Then, two weeks later, I ended up having an emergency surgery that led to an infection and had to stay in the hospital for weeks. When I came back home, on a Sunday, we got a call from the builders: "Umm, yeah, we're gonna start working on Tuesday and we need to know exactly what interior you want us to put in." I couldn't believe it - "but you didn't even tear down the old bathroom yet, why on Earth do you need to know what the new one is going to look like, already?!". 

He mumbled something about needing to know where the pipes should go, and, well - me and Ronnie went straight to work. We googled the night away, looking for inspiration, praying that our taste in bathrooms should be somewhat similar. Luckily, it was. So the next day, we both took a day off work, drove around to different bathroom warehouses where we just ran through the buildings yelling "this one?" "Sure!" "OK, good." "How about that one?" "Why not!". On Tuesday, we presented a list of every single thing we wanted in our bathroom - and now, six months later, it's all done. All except that there's a leak in our new shower, that is. It's been "fixed" twice, and we've come to the conclusion that instead of being upset about it, it's better to just accept that our floor will be a bit wet every time we shower. Oh well.

And I must say, for a bathroom that was extremely hastily and spontaneously designed by two people who knows nothing about interior design, I simply adore it. The result might not be my dream bathroom in every detail, but it's pretty close! (And the cats love sleeping in there - especially in the tub - so it must be a good one.)

All we knew when we were running around looking for the right shower, taps, toilet, sink cabinet, bath tub, wall- and floor tiles and so on, was that we wanted the bathroom to feel homey, friendly, and fit the style of the rest of the house: a little bit retro, a little bit Swedish archipelago style, and very country-style.

These are some of the inspirational photos we found while researching the kind of bathrooms we liked:


And while some of these might be a lot prettier than our bathroom, they all have a huge problem: they're not located in our house. So I'd rather take our new bathroom than all of these, 10 times out of 10.

(You can check out our hallway here and our "piano room" here.)


9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Loving the blue tile! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely bathroom. I liked the bath tube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bathroom looks so cool!
    It does look close to a couple of the inspirational bathrooms :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bathroom is gorgeous! I've always wanted a bath tub like that. :D

    Eek, emergency surgery? That sounds pretty scary. Glad to see you're all right though -- or, it at least looks like it, considering that was over six months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous bathroom!!! it's bigger than my bedroom!!!

    mochaccinoland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so far I've only admired you, but now I feel REAL and DEEP ENVY over that bathroom!!!! You are presenting a great case for moving out of New York. My boyfriend and I are actually talking about it a lot...Connecticut where his family lives and I could still come into the city from time to time to work on acting/ modeling projects. Anyway THIS BATHROOM I think might have just made up my mind for me ;)
    xx
    Isa (just realized all my European friends call me "isa" so that's how I should sign these odes to your wonderfulness ;))

    www.misadventuresofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that bathtub. And that cock!!! I lovelovelove these kinds!!!
    (BTW I'm obsessed with kitchens and bathrooms, we already agreed with my boyfriend, that he can have the whole apartment to renovate according to his style, I only want the bathroom and the kitchen :D) I so envy your whole house, from your toilet to your garden... You're so lucky to have such opportunities to make your dreams come true. It takes imagination but also money.. I lack in both - hopefuly just for now - but you sure give us some inspiration!
    Really looking forward to your next housesyn. Or should I jsut say: "I love what you've done with the place!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I absolutely love claw foot tubs! Great choice. If I ever get to redo my bathroom, that's the first thing I'm gonna pick.

    Lauren
    bangbylo.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your almost dream bathroom looks exactly like my dream bathroom! I'm in love with the bath tub, it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete