Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pushing Daisies or The Swimwear Dilemma.








Black and white bikini, "Sandra", Johanna Vikman. Hat, Accent. Sunglasses, Ray-Ban Wayfarer.



Believe it or not, the point of this post is not (only) to show off my pale but bitchin' beach bod. This is actually all I'm able to wear these days. I simply don't know how you people from Florida, Cali and all other hot and sunny places do it! How do you ever get dressed? 

Still not complaining, though - I wouldn't dare insult the so-extremely-rare-I'm-still-not-convinced-this-isn't-all-a-dream Swedish heatwave! If I did, it would probably start raining in the next hour and not stop until October, when the rain freezes and turns into snow. Trust me, I love the sunshine, I love mowing the lawn in skimpy swimwear. But I just couldn't put on clothes in this weather. Good thing I don't have to!

Oh, speaking of mowing the lawn. We have this huge garden, but it's what we in Sweden call "nature garden" - it's actually less of a garden and more of a... jungle. But we do have two small fields of grass that I sometimes make an effort to go over with the lawn mower. The things is, one of them is now covered with these tall, beautiful daisies! And it's not like I can murder them, is it? So, I've decided that until every single one of those daisies are all dried out and brown, this lawn is now a meadow. 

And also, a few words about posting bikini-photos: At first, I was quite reluctant to posting them at all. When you show that much skin, obviously it might be perceived as too "sexual" or provocative. But then I asked myself, who's to say which photos are sexual and which aren't? Why does a woman's body have to be a sexual object just because she's in a bathingsuit? Then, on to the next issue: am I maybe too skinny to be in a bikini, sending out the wrong types of signals, reproducing the ideal that says you can't be bigger than a size 4 if you want to show off your body? Wait, am I maybe not skinny enough? Aaaaah!

All these contradicting thoughts made me realize that it's all bullshit. Of course everyone who feels like posting bikini photos should be able to do it, without having to consider the fact that she might be objectified, and without feeling insecure about her size or shape. It's just a bathingsuit, for crying out loud, and well - it's what I'm wearing. Still, once again, here I am, questioning my own decisions not based on what I think is right, but on the fear of what other people might think. And that ain't cool, you guys! Last time I checked, this blog was called "According to Annika", not "According to Some Imaginary Judgemental Person Out There". This means that here on my blog, I make the rules, and I decide that a girl in a pretty bathingsuit doesn't have to be anything else than exactly that.


17 comments:

  1. Pretty swimwear is pretty swimwear and if some sick-minded person wants to interpret it as sexualisation or provactive, they are just disturbed. Also, I think having the confidence to do this is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love ur bikini! awesome<3

    sweetdifferences.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Annika! Like Libby said, I admire your confidence, and your ability to articulate those thoughts! You're an amazing writer, and of course the bathing suit is very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bathing suit is so cute! I love how it's just black and white, really quite striking for something so simple. Lovely.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing body <3 you should never be insecure about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I wanna have your body, you look stunning! Lovely swimwear ;)

    Loves,
    Rowan

    www.redreidinghood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the simple black and white! I'm a tankini girl myself, and i've been looking for a classic white top to go with my black bottoms, but settled on a red one last minute because it was cheaper. this makes me want to buy another white one! oooh nooooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It´s a VERY pretty bathingsuit, and a very pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's right Annika! You make the rules, that is why I like you girl!
    beautiful bikini and again, your photos are amazing!I like when you play with the sunshine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank god you have hips. i want to see outfit photos from a beautiful girl with a REAL body, not some emaciated stick. these are so pretty! i've always wondered how you edit your photos to introduce so much light.

    the swimming suit bottom is very unique! this post was so inspirational and i like your blog not just for your pictures but for your deep-felt WORDS. keep writing!

    pandaphilia fashion

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's wrong with being sexy? Why try to make excuses for showing off something so beautiful and utterly normal? It's just some bare skin. We all have it. And one doesn't have to be disturbed to appreciate the sexiness of a body.
    So I believe it would be completely inappropriate and perverted (hence so befitting) to say your curves are alluring. And the outfit is very charming. Love the hat.
    WiredInFashion

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are gorgeous, and indeed you should never ever be insecure, you are a great writer and you are just cute in general.
    i cant believe someone as gorgeous as you can be insecure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are a pretty girl in a pretty bathing suit. I think that the media talks too much about skinny girls creating a bad example to others, but you have nothing to worry about. you are all things great, and you are an inspiration.

    PS: I am jealous of your summer! in Australia, it's pretty much the coldest winter I've experienced yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks so beautiful! it's a classic bathingsuit and it looks great on your body and type :)
    don't worry about what people COULD say or think. as long as it's okay with you, it's okay!
    xxxx
    nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  15. you're right and that makes my day. i thought alot about a bikini & shorts photo on lookbook, and now i feel good enough to do it.
    thank you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. i thought alot about posting a bikini&shorts photo on lookbook. it's the same like you - it's too hot to wear more than that.
    and after i found your fabulous look and your post here i'm feeling good enough and confident enough to do it.
    thank you so much ♥

    ReplyDelete