Saturday, June 18, 2011

We must see all scars as beauty.


Feel free to call me sappy, I don't mind: these sentences brought tears to my eyes. Page 13 is pretty early in a book to start crying, even for me, but what can you do? I've never claimed to be a badass. I'm halfway through The Other Hand by Chris Cleave by now and I'll spare you the amount of times I've cried my eyes out so far. Read it.

The interview today was delightful (I adore that word, I feel so British using it) - it was for a magazine for young Christians and I got to talk about my view on God and Jesus and faith and such all day long. The reporter was lovely and the only thing that was a little bit uncomfortable about the whole thing was how I kept thinking that what I was saying was not religious enough and that she would be disappointed. Oh, and that I just couldn't stop swearing. I've grown up in a family where people curse way too much and I can't help it, it's like I don't even know how to talk if I'm not allowed to use words that are, well, not very Christian-like. I did my very best with all of the really nasty words and expressions, but I'm afraid I said "shit" about twenty thousand times.

Speaking of religion, or, at least the end of the world (they're somehow connected, right?) - yes, yes, yes, go see Melancholia if you have the chance. Lars von Trier surely is a very, very deeply disturbed human being and I wouldn't trade minds with him for a day if you paid me ten million bucks, but boy, does he know how to make films. His movies are like these awkward, nightmarish, surrealistic paintings sprung to life - or like walking around inside a terribly sick person's head. Which is pretty much exactly what Melancholia is: the ultimate capture of depression. Which sounds sort of, eh, depressing, I know. And it is. But it's also unbelievable beautiful. Go see for yourself!

8 comments:

  1. I adore Lars!
    One of the best directors.I wnt to see this movie cos of Kirsten Dunst too.
    I love that frase above that says scars mean 'i survived'!! grear post dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be really interested in hearing your views on Jesus and faith. :) And you know, of course this reporter at your interview was looking for a good fit for their magazine, but if you felt like you weren't talking "religious" enough, and if this reporter really had the mindset of being like Jesus, you have nothing to worry about. 'Cause it's really not about religion, it should just be about God. :) Anywho, sorry 'bout that little ramble. :)

    xoxo
    Maria Elyse
    First Impressions
    Flying Ships Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny, I enjoyed reading this post. I swear a lot too, haha, whatever. My Mom keeps telling me to stop cussing on my blog. I really really want to see Melancholia. I was deeply disturbed by Antichrist, though. But not enough to turn it off! Haha. I love your blog, I am following you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to read this book immediately, because just that excerpt was so, so beautiful and true! Well-written and oh, so true. I have no doubt that the book would make me cry as well!

    I would also be interested in hearing your views on religion, if you wanted to share. I'm not religious, myself, but I always like to hear what other people think of life and beyond :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My religion, or more God and His will is the most important thing in my life. I would love to hear your thoughts!
    It sounds like you gave it your best shot, love the way you portrayed it, it's such an awful feeling when the wrong words just keep falling out of your mouth...they seem to have minds of their own.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that passage as well! But I thought it was from Little Bee? Didn't know he'd written a second book...I'll have to check it out!

    Yes, I'd love to hear your views too. I grew up on a Sufi commune (not as exotic as it sounds) with a Jewish mother and Catholic father and now am a big yoga fanatic, so I try to embrace all faiths and points of view...

    P.S. All wrapped shooting a lookbook for Bodylanguage Paris today! I owe it all to being a faithful reader of this blog ;)(Hear that? Everyone read this blog faithfully!) Best of all they (the French men who own the business) said I looked German..or Swedish!! Hahaha! Not American or French. And with an accent all my own in both languages...See. It's not just me who has a hard time categorizing who I am ;)

    Anyway have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is acctually a very beautyful text.. I have never looked at a scar and thought beautyful about it.. but now when I read this.. I find it beautyful... that means... very great writing!

    - Mie
    http://miedina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the quote. "a scar means 'i survived'"

    thats so beautiful to think about it that way. all over my right arm are scars. i think they are very ugly and i alaways try to hide them. because they remember me of a bad and hard time in my life. i always hated scars because they don't go away, they stay. they stay to always remember me of what happend. it's not like the invisible scars on the soul. no. it's the visual evidence for my pain. always there to hurt me again.

    but i survived. i was strong enough. and i'm here, no place for pain, that's gone. and that's a good feeling. first time i think about it that way. before it always reminds me of my weakness..and pain.


    thank you xxx LOVE

    ReplyDelete