Monday, June 6, 2011

It's where my reason stops, and something else comes in.


This is one of my favorite songs - "Calleth You, Cometh I" by Swedish band The Ark. It was also the first music video I appeared in! It was a long time ago now, but I still feel a little bit sick and embarrassed when I watch this video. 

You see, I was so nervous to be in a video with one of my favorite bands, and I really, really wanted them to like me. I was in hair and makeup at 4 AM, then we all drove out to a beautiful field in the countryside, where I did my first couple of scenes (which included running through that field). And then... well... I started throwing up. Apparently, my body had to choose that particular day to get the worst stomach flu of my entire life. Just my luck. They had to cancel most of my scenes, took me back to the studio, and I lay in a dark room throwing up that whole day. Around midnight, the stylist woke me up and put me in the shower. I had my makeup and hair re-done, then they they placed me on a stage, where I was asked to dance in front of the camera. The band was watching, of course - probably a bit pissed off that they'd had to replace most of my scenes. I figured this wasn't the best time to admit that I can't dance to save my life. So, I smiled, tried as hard as I could not to puke on stage, and... I danced. Or something that at least resembled dancing.

About 24 hours after leaving my family's apartment to do the shoot, all happy and excited, I got into a cab and asked the driver to please take me home as fast as he could. He had to stop the car twice and let me puke my guts out on the curb. Disgusting, I know. I was already devastated when I woke up the next morning, still sick as a dog, by a phonecall from my agency - telling me I wouldn't get paid, since, frankly, I didn't do my job. I didn't care about the money, but I couldn't believe I messed up the whole video shoot for a band I loved!

In the end, I think the result turned out pretty cool. But I still blush every time I see the video, having to re-live my incredibly awkward so-called dance moves on that stage.


8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that must've been really awful. My body chooses weird times to get the stomach flu too, and it doesn't help that that's the worst sickness ever. I think your dancing looked great! Haha, much better than my freestyle. {I'm a ballet dancer, but when it comes to just dancing without a routine, I'm helpless.}

    At least it must have been cool to be in a music video for one of your favorite bands, even if you did get sick.

    xoxo
    Maria Elyse
    First Impressions
    Flying Ships Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, poor you, that must have been aweful!!

    The same thing happened to me. Just turned twenty, moved to London, did´nt know anyone, bullshitted my way to a job as a bartender at a kinda cool cocktail bar, and on my very first day at work I kept running back and forth between serving drinks behind the bar, trough the crowd on the dancefloor, to the bathroom on the other side of the club. One of the worst nights of my life. So, that makes me a pretty lucky girl I suppose :D .

    The video DID turn out pretty cool, and you look gorgeous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! That´s really bad luck or destiny?? who knows... Im sure they liked you even with the small " issue" ....
    Did you appeared on more videos after that? or was the fist and last?....
    Love....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Annika, why are you in the woods? You should be on a runway somewhere. You are stunning!

    Tracy
    www.projecttracy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned you were in other music videos, which ones are they?

    I promise I'm not a creepy stalker, I'm just curious. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm totally surprised i kinda like that song. it reminds me of something i've heard before, but i can't remember what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You darn well should've gotten paid for that. You looked great and I didn't see you puke once. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's okay Annika. Our bodies mess up at the wrong time, all the time! You dancing wasn't that bad! And you don't need to be embarrassed since this happens to everyone :)

    ReplyDelete