Monday, June 6, 2011

Oh sister, where art thou?


My sister Amanda is visiting! She's not only blonde and gorgeous, she's also an artist in the making. When I say artist, I say it in that French way: une arrrtiiiiiste. She paints, and she does it so well. We've been looking at photos from her examination exhibition (she graduates high school in three weeks) and I'm simply in awe of her talent! Since we're sisters, there's obviously some competition between us, and I wanted to show her I'm pretty arrrrtiiiistic myself. So... I went outstide and took a photo of my shoes.

Then we discussed it for twenty minutes. I mean, we could have talked about my piece of art for at least an hour, it's just got so many layers. Of course I want to share some of our deep and meaningful analysis with you guys!

"OK, so, I call this... The Invisible (Wo)Man. The theme is the Tunisian revolution."
"Obviously."
"Yeah, obviously."
...
"Umm... yeah. As you can clearly see, there's someone standing there, you just can't see him... or her."
"Oh, that's why it's called The Invisible (Wo)Man!"
"Yup."
"I see that the shoelaces aren't tied. I suppose that's a metaphor for not being able to move forward. It's like, you stand there, and everything looks so peaceful, but as soon as you try to go your own way, you trip and fall on your own shoelaces."
"Yeah, right on your face."
"Ouch, that's gotta hurt!"
"Revolutions always hurt. But sometimes, they're necessary, if you want to be able to stand on your own two feet."
"Try walking a mile in my shoes, so to speak."
"I mean, I wouldn't want to be in President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali's shoes. But he put them on himself. Or maybe he had people who did that for him?"
"Metaphorically speaking?"
"No, literally."
"Oh. Yeah. Maybe. Wow! We surely could discuss this for hours."
"That's art for you, baby sister. That's art for you."
"You're wise."
"I am. I sure am."
"I ADMIRE YOU SO MUCH! I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU!"

Hmm. I have to stop writing now. This adorable little creature keeps pinching me, telling me I'm writing lies on my blog. How dare she?! I swear on my brown leather litas that this is exactly the conversation we just had! Seriously! Almost exactly.


11 comments:

  1. I just read the "about you" section, and WOW, you interviewed LADY GAGA !!!!! I'm so jealous !!!
    I have to say you have a very nice blog, and the photos are well taken, I mean there's always a sun effect, do you use something to reflect the light ?
    BTW, I love lita shoes :)


    xx




    www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I KNOW, isn't that cool?! :) I just told my sister today I was disappointed in her lack of AMAZEMENT over the fact that I'm, like, almost best friends with Gaga. Sort of.

    Thank you, I'm so glad you like the blog! I don't use anything but my camera, but I make sure to take photos when the light is as good as possible (usually right before sunset).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are regular art critics aren't you? :)

    I don't paint, but I illustrate a bit. Thought perhaps I'd include it on my blog a bit too, as a side note.

    Now then -I love talking about art - but, mostly, I just like joking about talking about art.

    So - I kinda love this post, is what I'm saying. It made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love the highly intellectual conversation you had with your sister - it's soo artistically inspiring! ;)

    I absolutely adore photography, especially because I can't really draw worth anything (despite my attempts to learn in multiple art classes), but also because it's my passion and makes me happy <3

    I hope you and your sister have a great time during her visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am constantly awed by you Annika. You are stunning in structure and your style is painted in wonderful hues, and shapes. Keep blogging!! Keep Shining!!


    hope to hear from you*!
    www.amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such amazing shoes!!

    Monique xx

    www.misszuman.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Invisible (WO)Man part. There's a nice ring to it, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh belive me...the way you write makes you a total artiste!!!!
    I'm somehow happy when I see that you've got a new post on your blog...always so creative and spontaneous.
    It's kinda weird for me... usually when I click on a blog I look at the pictures and not always read the text... but your blog...50%-50% photos and text.
    keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, your conversation with your sis is ADORABLE!!! <3

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the convo between you & your sis. Reminds me of my baby sisters... and they all look up to me as well. Feels good. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow killer shoes! I really want shoes like that :D
    and great blog dear, love your blog :D
    http://ninnda.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete