Monday, June 6, 2011

Looking for myself.









Ripped skinny jeans, Hudson. Off-white t-shirt, Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair. Black leather belt, Gina Tricot. Black bowler hat, Monki. Black army boots, Vagabond. Lipstick from Rival de Loop Berlin.

Getting dressed is such a hassle for me these days. Wow, that sounded really lame. But it is! 

Obviously I care a lot more about what I'm wearing now that I have this blog and the constant desire to impress you fabulous people out there. So, I start out with a piece of clothing that I want to build my outfit around - it could be a skirt, a pair of shoes, jeans or even socks - and then I try to figure out what items to mix it with. And I try. And I try. And then I try some more. Honestly, I must have tried on more clothes during these past three weeks than I have in the last three years.

The problem isn't to find an outfit that looks good, or at least decent. The problem is that 9 times out of 10, what I'm trying on just doesn't feel like... me. If you'll please excuse this pretentious metaphor: whenever I get dressed, it's like I'm out on a search mission, looking for myself. (Ouch.) 

Usually, I don't have the time to keep looking long enough to find what I'm searching for - since I'm never sure what exactly it is I'm trying to find, it's sort of a needle/haystack-situation - and I just end up leaving the house in whatever I have on when I realize I'm late. But now and again, I succeed. Then I look in the mirror - or even better, at the outfit photos - and think: hey, there you are

When that happens, that first item I wanted to build my outfit around is always long gone. This outfit is the first one since this one that I feel is 100% me - and it started out with, ehmm, a pair of really high heeled sandals and a black, semi-transparent shirt. Then the jeans came into the picture and suddenly the heels were gone, the sheer shirt gave the look too much of a dramatic goth feel, and, well, you can see the final result above.

A quick note about the t-shirt before I stop ranting: I bought it about five years ago, when I first got really into fashion, and I decided that Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair was the most awesome brand ever. (I still think so!) I was going to university in a small town at the time, and on a trip into Stockholm I went to the tiny FASR boutique, located in the super hip area where I still can't help but feeling like the clumsy geek who's always chosen last in gym. Just being in that store was such an inspiring experience - I spent about two hours admiring every single piece of clothing in there, before I finally bought the only thing I could possibly afford: this t-shirt. I was so proud of it and every time I wore it, I simply couldn't stop myself from mentioning to people what brand it was. (Not that anyone had even heard of it.) 

In the years that has passed since, quite a few more remarkable Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair-pieces have been added to my wardrobe - but the t-shirt is by far the one I use the most. I guess I like how it reminds me of a time when a plain, off-white t-shirt was something I couldn't help bragging about.






15 comments:

  1. It's great that you add the names of the lipstick you're wearing, they're such fabulous colours!
    http://weeklytwice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're beautiful! Are you a model? You are my inspiration! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple! So awesome! I love it! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to be someone else for us. This is perfect! I think this is the essence of stylishness. You don't have to wear extravagant clothes, just to mark out from the mass. So this look just became one of my favourite. This is the kind of style I look up to and what I want to acquire too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a beautiful lady, Annika! I'm totally enamored with this distressed jeans and those lace ups. Such a rugged yet super chic look. Have a lovely week, darling!

    www.TheFancyTeacup.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and simple! You always look so lovely and cool but like you're not trying at all...just born that way. Your outfit also kinda reminds me of the guys from Clockwork Orange but in a good way haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your boots. you look great with straight hair :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your blog so fucking much!!
    the pictures are very beautiful and proffessional, and the clothing is like everything i want to wear but cant^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh a little when I saw the bit about the t-shirt.

    Shayli and I had a photoshoot/sleepover not too long ago and I just looked at my second outfit.

    I was typing up the latest entry for my blog, and I realized that the white scoop neck tee I bought and wore in the shoot was the only thing I could afford in Nordstrom at the time.

    Made my day to see this. :)

    And I love the outfit + photos, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you take basic pieces and make them look so chic and put together! I feel like a lot of times, I don't feel like my outfit is finished unless I add a bunch of extra accessories or layers or whatever, but whenever I see your outfits, it reminds me that you can have a gorgeous, put-together look without piling stuff on. :)

    ~Shayli
    what the mirror saw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for my potty mouth but these are the words that just came to my mind: Girl, you are the shit!!! You rock so much! :-)
    xoxox
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my god, i love this outfit so much! it's so beautiful in its simplicity! and it fits so good to ur body and beauty! wish i could only look half as good in this closes than u look.
    xxxx

    love, nastassja

    ReplyDelete