Thursday, June 30, 2011

Avoided heatstroke, missing lipstick, awesome wedges and a California girl.


Light blue denim shorts and awesome wedges Johanna is kind enough to let me borrow, Monki. Glasses, Chanel. Flower print tie-up shirt, Asos.com. Brown leather satchel, Vero Moda.

My plan was definitely not to wear these shorts (they same I was wearing the day before) out to a fancy dinner. I had brought a pair of high waisted jeans that I thought would go great with my new tie-up shirt from Asos, and I even put them on - but it soon became all too clear that I was going to faint from a heatstroke if I didn't take them off again, fast. So, shorts it was! I can see how people can put style over comfort and I sometimes do it too, but there's a limit, and that limit was well reached. Dark skinny jeans + 200 billion degrees = nah, don't think so.

These shoes! I tried them on at Johanna's house and fell in love. I couldn't believe they're from Monki - I'm there all the time (well, a lot at least), and I've never seen them. When we were leaving for the city, Johanna told me that she's not going to bring them when she goes back to California next week, and asked if maybe I wanted custody of them until she came back and felt like she'd want to use them again. Ummm... maybe?! They were back on my feet and I had wrapped my arms around her before she'd even finished the sentence. I have to take better photos of them soon, you can't really tell how perfect they are in that one above.

Cudos to Johanna, by the way. She took these two outfit photos, and that I've uploaded them is quite the proof of her photography skills. You see, it happens now and then that I ask friends to take outfit photos for the blog when I'm in Stockholm and can't take them myself - and so far, I've never used one. It's not my friends' fault, though (not entirely, haha). But I'm used to taking like a hundred photos and then I usually end up picking out seven or eight that I think are okay. So when a friend takes five photos and then says "there you go", the chances of me not making awkward poses and weird faces in those five are very, very slim. But these two are not that bad! (Even though I have to stop putting one hand in the hair on Every Single Photo.) So if dark skinny jeans + 200 billion degrees = nah, don't think so, then Giving me custody of amazing wedges + outfit photos where I look decent + letting me ride her sister's expensive horse + being a great girl in general = Johanna is awesome!

Oh, and here she is:

 

I'm not sure where she bought the oversized flower print tee, but her (faux) leather shorts are from Forever 21, and the wonderful floral sunnies are from Urban Outfitters. And her litas, they're from... well, Jeffrey Campbell, obviously. I have the same shoes and bought them from Solestruck.com.

Johanna is a copywriter and has been working in California for the past year, first in Newport Beach, then in Venice Beach (seems like this girl likes beaches, huh?). Now she's going to stay in San Francisco instead, and I'm so jealous it's not even cute.

One thing that is cute is how her style has become soooo California girl:ish! There's just something so beachy about her. I think it's absolutely adorable and I'll admit, I'm almost as jealous about her sunglasses as I am about her going to live in San Fran. Wait. I said almost, okay?

The only bad thing that happened during my 24 hours with Johanna (first she stayed over at my house, in the morning we went riding at her family's house, and then we drove into Stockholm) was that I forgot my best lipstick in her apartment. Typical. It's brand new, the most useful bright red shade and it smells great, which isn't that common when it comes to lipstick. I might have to get a new one. Stupid Lady Red! Why did you have to disappear? I who treated you with such appreciation and devotion these past weeks. And this is how you thank me. Pfft.




13 comments:

  1. YOu look so beautiful! amazing photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're looking amazing, as always!

    Your friend's top is amazing too! :D love her sunnies!

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! 2 pretty & stylish ladies in one entry! YUM!! :D i so love her floral over-size top and Lita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure the weather wasn't that bad because I learned that the Swedish summers are like our winters so you can pretty much imagine what it's like here in the summer, haha :)
    I love the top and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You in such great shape! I love her floral top and leather shorts!

    http://www.blackandblondeone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh well I just hope the weather stops being weird over here for when Johanna comes. It actually poured rain the other day! It's gotten a bit hotter but it was so weird!

    You both look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about being stuck with awkward photos that other people take. I used to look really weird in photos when my fiancée started taking them for me, but she's aware of the photos I'm trying to go for, plus I'm growing more comfortable with the whole thing!

    Those wedges are really awesome, by the way. If I weren't a size seven (US) shoe, then I'd be able to borrow my friends' shoes -- alas, I'm too tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really agree with the awkward photos. Usually, I'll take a bunch of crazy photos just so I relax in the photos & get the right angle, and then I take the good for-the-blog shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your shoes annika! this girl can be so happy being your friend x:

    love, nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annika!! Where do I start??

    First I think your friend's top is from "Brandy and Melville". There's one in LA and now one in New York at Spring Street and Broadway. You'll have to check it out when you come. I have that shirt she's wearing in a tank top version!! They have the softest,comfiest tees EVER and very affordable. 10-15 dollars only!

    So funny you wrote this ode to Johanna today! I am planning an ode to my friend Yasmeen. If you find me on facebook, you can see our exchange and see I'm not making that up ;) She's this impossibly gorgeous half Indian- half Saudi friend of mine who was the first to give me the courage to wear my crazy outfits in public. And I totally rip off her style. So does every girl who gets to know her...perfect mix of sexy, sophisticated and tough...Anyway that's coming soon!

    And last but not least, you just have the best tummy. Lucky you ;)
    xx
    Izzy
    www.misadventuresofme.com

    P.S. Oh not last! (Me and my p.s.s) Yea, my boyfriend when he takes my photos here at the lake snaps about four or five times and thinks he's done me a great favor haha. It's funny how when it's just the right pose and expression, no photoshop is required but otherwise...YIKES. At home I'll take about twenty or thirty shots. I'm thinking of investing in a slightly better camera since I'm loving this blogging experience. Which would you recommend for a style wannabe but non-professional broke girl?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I know exactly what you mean when you ask someone else to take your pictures! They only take about 10 and of course my face or body will look bad some way or another in all of them! I also love the tie up shirt, such a cute vintage touch! xo

    Kaylee Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow you look so pretty! I love the top :) cute make up! :D
    http://ninnda.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely agree about having to be practical when it's so hot and prioritise comfort over style. That said, your short shorts still look fantastic and I love the top!

    ReplyDelete