Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunshine through the rain.






Black velvet dress with sequin detail, Rodebjer. Graphic print tights, from some tiny lingerie store in Berlin. Black polka dot umbrella, H&M. Black leather litas, Jeffrey Campbell/Solestruck.com.

After weeks and weeks of constant sunshine, the Swedish summer weather is now officially back to normal. Which means weird. Yesterday, it was all over the place - sunny one minute, rain the next, followed by thunder and lightning - or, as in the umbrella photo above, warm and sunny and pouring rain.

Midsummer is now over and I really don't want to think about all the work I've neglected this past week! But I've never missed a deadline (okay, I have, but then I've been in the hospital having emergency surgery and the likes) and I'm definitely not going to start now. "Paper in the typewriter", like my writer boyfriend always says. (To him, that means he'll "get to work" or "work harder", and I'm not sure why he's referring to a typewriter since we're both very happy with our MacBooks. Maybe because he's secretly a 65 year old in a 26 year old's body.)

I haven't worn this dress nearly as much as I should have, considering the money I spent on it. I bought it a few years back for this huge award show party I was attending, but two minutes before I left the apartment, I changed my mind and put on another one. In the cab, I was extremely annoyed with myself - you buy a dress you can't afford because it's sooo important to look fab and fancy at this thing, and then you go and put on a dress you've had forever?! - but when I got to the party, I realized it was faith: this gorgeous fashion celebrity, the star of the award show, was wearing the exact same dress as the one I'd left at home. The only difference was that she looked about a thousand times better in hers than I had done in mine (and I'm not exaggerating, she's just that gorgeous)! Needless to say, I was pretty relieved not having to walk the red carpet looking like her awkward wannabe twin.

The very unusual warm weather has also had the effect that you guys don't know about my obsession with socks and tights. When you live this far up North, you sort of have to have a thing for them, since the bare-legged season normally lasts for about two weeks. I've got so many drawers full of legwear in every possible color and print, which you might be made very aware of if you still follow this blog when the cold weather decides to come back! Plus, fun socks and tights are a perfect way to make your outfits way more interesting without spending a lot of money.

These black and white graphic print tights are from this tiny lingerie boutique I happened to walk into while living in Berlin, and I just think they're fantastic. And I can't believe they're still in such good shape - I must have worn them fifty times over the years and put them through far too many machine washes, and they're as whole as when I got them. Usually, I'll rip a pair if not the first time I wear them, so at least the second or third. Which isn't that big of a problem for me - I just pretend like I'm going for the punk look or something, haha!

Now it's time to get some writing done, a friend is visiting tomorrow so I need to be done with today's and tomorrow's work before she gets here. Do I even have to say that none of this will stop me from blogging? I could never let you guys down! ;)




22 comments:

  1. WAu such a lovely dress love it and all your picts are so wicked u are so beautiful <3 www.preppyfashionist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tights are amazing, as well as the dress! Love the monochrome look!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. adore your beautiful look and pretty outfit!! u always look great in your outfit choice!! great expression + photo!! love ur blog =)

    http://whatonme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you brought the dress out into the daylight again, it's remarkable! The tights are complete artwork (and durability is a plus, indeed.) Looking absolutely beautiful, girl!

    ♥, Jamie
    www.TheFancyTeacup.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun tights! I love them!

    http://www.blackandblondeone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tights are amazing! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped at the first photo and thought, "Oh my goodness, her tights!" They're absolutely amazing (and I wish my tights would hold up in the wash for half as long! haha). I love the dress, too - understated but elegant :)

    I love when it's sunny and raining at the same time! It's absolutely the coolest thing ever.

    Shayli
    http://whatthemirrorsaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look beautiful, as per usual Annika. And sometimes things work out for the best with items of clothing. I took my long leather trench coat to London fashion week on a whim, and when it started drizzling (and then pouring) on the first day I was there, I couldn't have chosen anything more appropriate to wear.
    I can empathise also with needing lots of things to cover up legs with. I have a draw stuffed full of cable knit tights and long socks - although nothing as eye-catching as your amazing geometric print pair here!
    However, it is so humid and hot here at the moment that I am in linen shorts and a white silk jersey shirt - anything else would be too stuffy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your outfit is awesome! :)

    http://daphneglowsinthedark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your tights!
    xx
    Shellena
    mintalamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey beautiful annika! just want to let you know that i'm still your reader and i'm still reading your blog as often as i can, but i was very busy with things the last during days, just like you!

    i love this dress! already saw it on your pictures from CA and thought "what a classy and pretty dress"
    i wanna know this boutique, where is it in berlin? i'm in berlin on next monday..
    i'm there very often! what do you think about berlin? what are your favourite boutiques or places?
    PLEASE TELL ME!

    so much love <3 nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look amazing! love your shoes! xx

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about the weather. Here in England, we've had a couple of really hot days after a week of heavy & constant rain. Those tights are beautiful! I think that I'm going to have to invest in some nice vintage dresses and also more patterned tights this autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haa, those are some very funky tights right there! I would feel soooo super self-conscious if I had those tights on; but probably after a few minutes of walking around in public wearing them I'd feel the coolest, bravest person ever. :D It's just that I least love (see, I'm not going to say "hate", keeping it kind!) my legs/ lower half of my body. So usually I always try to cover it up, wearing dark harem pants or something. But... there's some improvement: last week I bought some tight bright RED skinnys; talking about change, right?! ;) Hopefully they won't end up in my closet on the bottom shelf with the price tag still hanging on them.

    You look really great with your hair like this! Though I love your bangs as well; I guess it's just another proof for the fact that you can make any look work!

    (Oh, you've lived in Berlin? How was that like?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great outfit.

    You look like a cross between Katie Holmes and Anne Hathaway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look stunning again! how do you do it!? Those tights are pretty spacial, they're awesome! Have fun with your friend! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your tights, they're fab! :)

    x

    http://yonder-wonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. So funny thights. Understand you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your posts are always so enchanting! I adore your tights and you look fantastic, great look :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the midsummer post and this dress post. You look great with straight or curly hair-- you're lucky. I have quite a round face and I need the straight hair to slim me down!

    The kids looked so cute with the flowers in their hair. I'm hanging out with my boyfriend's nieces this week. I'll have to try to weave them so crowns and take some pics ;).

    P.S. I noticed about the socks! I love your outfits, but that would never fly most NY summers. 100 degrees and you're dying if you wear more than sandals and the shortest shorts. So far this summer has been unseasonably cool! Hope it stays that way for your visit
    xx
    Izzy
    www.misadventuresofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not only are you incredibly gorgeous, but you have such a great writing style. I can tell the blogging world has completely fallen in love with you! 400 followers in just 6 short weeks, I think that might be some sort of a record! Congratulations on starting such a successful blog, and thankyou for following mine!

    -Laura
    http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. complete & total outfit adoration! though i'm pretty sure i've said that before, haven't i annika? what does it mean when you live in texas, a state where it's summer 5 months out of the year, & you have two completely stuffed drawers of colored & printed tights? at least your tight addiction makes sense. just saying.

    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete