Monday, June 20, 2011

You can't always get what you want.

White dress with transparent details, Johanna Vikman. Faux leather jacket, H&M. Boots, Vagabond. Sunglasses, Rayban wayfarers.

Like I told you, I really, really loved the Gossip Girl inspired outfit I wore Saturday. Everything just worked. But this one... not so much. Or, that's not entirely true: I did like it, a lot - but it just didn't look good in any of the photos. The make up looks weird, the leather jacket feels completely out of place...  Plus, I look tired and, I don't know, lazy.

Actually, this happens to me quite often - that something looks fabulous in the mirror, but not through my camera lense. I guess that just proves what a challenging job stylists and make up artists truly have! It's like they need the ability to turn their eyes into a camera lense, imagining the lighting and how it will hit the face or the clothes and body angles.

Anyone who thinks being a stylist is just about taking a bunch of trendy items and throwing them over a model - or, worse, who thinks being a make up artist is easy just because she can do her own make up - has clearly never tried, and failed, to take a great set of outfit photos!

Well well, noone's on top of their game all of the time. Or maybe they are, what do I know. All I know is that I'm not. And that's okay.

This week is going to be absolutely crazy for me, I'm a little bit in over my head when it comes to work and everything else. Each day is packed, I've crammed way too much into every single hour - lots of fun things and some not quite as fun. But I have a pretty interesting summer to look forward to, so I'll get by!

Today I have a very important column to write, so I'd better get back to that. But you all know I'd rather hang out here with you, right?




16 comments:

  1. love your white dress! Yea I really think being stylist and make up artist are not as easy as some people thought. So challenging I think, but any job has its own challenge. Oh you look amazing by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought when I saw these pictures was "What a lovely dress" and the second: "It works so well with the leather jacket", so I think you are being a little hard on yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry but i can't agree with you, beauty :) i love the combination of the jacket with the dress. when i first saw this it reminded me so much of an outfit from ashley olsen, which i love!
    here you can see it:
    http://content1.promiflash.de/article-images/w500/ashley-olsen-laechelnd.jpg


    don't be so hard with yourself. i have those bad-clothes-day very often :)


    xxx, nastassja

    ReplyDelete
  4. the sparkling dust, thank you so much, love! You're absolutely right, every job has their own challenges, but I feel like a lot of people don't respect many of the occupations in the fashion industry. I even get that a lot as a photographer, people think it's all about the camera: "oh wow, I love your photos, your camera must be brilliant!" And not that it doesn't help to have a good camera (even though mine isn't very fancy), but it still feels a bit condescending.

    Blue, aaw, thanks! I thought so to while I was wearing the outfit, I just didn't think it translated very well onto the photos...

    Lace and Tulle, thank you dear!

    Nastassja, oh my, you're right! That does look quite a lot like my outfit - thank you so much for sharing! Now I feel a bit better about the photos, actually <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a stylist would be so hard. And then, that's what comes with fashion blogging! You are a model, journalist, photographer, stylist, make-up artist, creative director & PR manager all in one, and it's not perfect every time. But it's real, and that's what's so important about blogging. Also, I think your outfit looks lovely, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if you're not too keen on the photos you have to admit that the combo of frilly white socks and Docs looks pretty damn cool! Love it! By the way, would you mind me asking what make and model of camera you use? Your photos always look so amazing! Do you use a tripod or do you have someone take them for you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boots with the socks are perfect! Love everything, lady.


    strawberry freckleface

    ReplyDelete
  8. well... i still LOVE this leather jacket! :)))
    xxx
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, you've probably heard it before, but i'll say it anyway... your photographs are absolutely amazing! very artistic and kind of dreamy. i really enjoyed what i've seen so far. you've got a new follower!

    www.heartloom.blogspot.com is my little humble blog

    greetings from florida!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your outfits. If I had time I'd comment on all of the posts. Now following. Maybe you can also take a look at my blog. :)

    Xoxo,
    http://beatricebalaj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely photos (as always) :)) really like your dress and boots :) xx

    http://carmelitarranza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this outfit! It fits you perfectly. Makes me want to run out and buy a white dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. guffaw & ha, i simply adore that outfit. it may actually be one of my favorites of the moment, so there!

    ReplyDelete